Byrne dominates race two to secure victory
Thruxton BSB: Byrne dominates race two to secure victory
30 May 2011 16:20
Shane Byrne (HM Plant Honda) dominated the second race at Thruxton. Starting from pole, the championship leader set the fastest lap of the day and created a 10 second lead over the following pack.
Peter Hickman (Tyco Honda) and Michael Rutter (Rapid Solicitors-Bathams Ducati) respectively moved into second and third in the second lap of the race, ahead of Samsung Crescent Racing rider John Hopkins.
Alex Lowes (MSS Colchester Kawasaki) ambitiously passed Laverty and then Rutter on the fourth lap to take third place, before passing Hickman to secure second on lap five. Lowes then crashed out of second place on lap seven, suffering a highside, having lost the rear of his Kawasaki on the exit of the Club Chicane.
Hickman and Rutter battled for second, trading places until Rutter highsided at Church on the penultimate lap, leaving Hickman to secure second place. John Hopkins passed Dan Linfoot (Sorrymate.com Honda) on the final lap to take third place and his fifth podium finish this season.
Linfoot spent the remainder of the last lap trying to hold off Tommy Hill (Swan Yamaha). Hill succeeded in passing Linfoot in the final moments of the race at the Club Chicane, snatching fourth place and relegating Linfoot to fifth.
Race one winner Michael Laverty (Swan Yamaha) could only manage seventh in the second race, finishing behind Relentless Suzuki rider Josh Brookes who took sixth place, whilst Chris Walker (Pr1mo Racing Kawasaki) finished eighth.
1. Shane Byrne (HM Plant Honda) 20:07.763
2. Peter Hickman (Tyco Honda) +10.618
3. John Hopkins (Samsung Crescent Racing) +15.524
4. Tommy Hill (Swan Yamaha) +16.980
5. Dan Linfoot (Sorrymate.com Honda) +17.128
6. Josh Brookes (Relentless Suzuki) +17.983
7. Michael Laverty (Swan Yamaha) +22.967
8. Chris Walker (Pr1mo Racing Kawasaki) +26.881
9. Jon Kirkham (Samsung Crescent Racing) +32.415
10. Martin Jessop (Rapid Solicitors Ducati) +34.864
11. Loris Baz (Motorpoint Yamaha) +36.826
12. James Westmoreland (Motorpoint Yamaha) +40.589
13. John Laverty (Buildbase BMW) +42.864
14. Gary Mason (MSS Colchester Kawasaki) +44.683
15. Steve Brogan (Jentin Racing Honda) +45.037
MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship standings:
1. Shane Byrne (HM Plant Honda) 136 points
2. John Hopkins (Samsung Crescent Racing) 121 points
3. Stuart Easton (MSS Colchester Kawasaki) 89 points
4. Tommy Hill (Swan Yamaha) 70 points
5. Michael Laverty (Swan Yamaha) 69 points
6. Peter Hickman (Tyco Honda) 68 points