Simoncelli closed with 12 points of the championship
Phillip Island: Simoncelli closes in on title with win
18 October 2009 11:36
Reigning 250GP champion Marco Simoncelli closed to within12 points of the championship lead at Phillip Island after victory at Phillip Island.
Championship leader Hiroshi Aoyama was unable to run at the front with the more powerful Aprilias and could only manage to bring his Honda home in seventh place.
Aoyama had moved up to fourth place, but Roberto Locatelli high-sided, causing the race to be stopped.
The results for the race were taken from the previous lap when Aoyama was in seventh.
1. Simoncelli (Gilera)
2. Barbera (Aprilia) +2.434sec
3. de Rosa (Honda) +2.604sec
4. Cluzel (Aprilia) +12.118sec
5. di Meglio (Aprilia) +12.192sec
6. Abraham (Aprilia) +12.413sec
7. H. Aoyama (Honda) +12.455sec
8. Faubel (Honda) +13.112sec
9. Wilairot (Honda) +13.560sec
10. Bautista (Aprilia) +27.779sec