Cortese takes first GP victory at Brno. Photo: motogp.com
Brno 125GP: Cortese takes first GP victory
14 August 2011 10:53
Sandro Cortese (Intact-Racing Team Germany) secured his first GP victory at Brno in a closely contested race that saw championship leader Nicolas Terol (Bankia Aspar Team 125cc) retiring from the lead with mechanical problems on lap eight, leaving Cortese and Johann Zarco (Avant-AirAsia-Ajo) to battle for a first GP win.
Cortese kept pace with Terol and Zarco from the off, challenging Zarco for second early on, but Zarco clung to his position. After Terol retired on lap eight Zarco pushed hard to maintain the lead, but Cortese doggedly pursued the Frenchman.
On the penultimate lap Cortese took the lead, but Zarco soon recovered to reclaim first place on the first corner of the last lap. With his first GP victory at stake, Cortese fought his way past on the inside at turn three and clung to the lead, defending the lead until the very last corner.
Zarco challenged through the final corners, nearly losing the back end, but was unable to find a way past Cortese and had to settle for second place.
Andalucia Banca Civica rider Alberto Moncayo took the final step on the podium, finishing third ahead of a very close Spanish pack, with Hector Faubel (Bankia Aspar Team 125cc) and Blusens by Paris Hilton Racing team mates Sergio Gadea and Maverick Vinales taking the next three positions. Miguel Oliveria had been part of the chasing pack, but pushed so hard whilst fighting for position in the last turns that the Portugese rider crashed out and ended the race in twenty-third place.
Harry Stafford (Ongetta-Centro Seta) took his first world championship points at the Czech circuit finishing in thirteenth behind fellow Brit Danny Webb (Mahindra Racing) in twelfth place. Taylor Mackenzie (Phonica Racing) ended the race in twenty-first place.
1. 25 Sandro CORTESE GER Intact-Racing Team Germany Aprilia 150.3 40'59.229
2. 20 Johann ZARCO FRA Avant-AirAsia-Ajo Derbi 150.3 +0.397
3. 16 Alberto MONCAYO SPA Andalucia Banca Civica Aprilia 149.6 +10.773
4. 13 Hector FAUBEL SPA Bankia Aspar Team 125cc Aprilia 149.6 +10.794
5. 11 Sergio GADEA SPA Blusens by Paris Hilton Racing Aprilia 149.6 +11.144
6. 10 Maverick VIÑALES SPA Blusens by Paris Hilton Racing Aprilia 149.6 +11.473
7. 9 Jakub KORNFEIL CZE Ongetta-Centro Seta Aprilia 148.8 +24.720
8. 8 Simone GROTZKYJ ITA Phonica Racing Aprilia 147.9 +39.982
9. 7 Zulfahmi KHAIRUDDIN MAL Airasia-Sic-Ajo Derbi 147.7 +42.887
10. 6 Jasper IWEMA NED Ongetta-Abbink Metaal Aprilia 147.7 +43.023
11. 5 Luigi MORCIANO ITA Team Italia FMI Aprilia 147.7 +43.183
12. 4 Danny WEBB GBR Mahindra Racing Mahindra 147.7 +43.675
13. 3 Harry STAFFORD GBR Ongetta-Centro Seta Aprilia 147.6 +43.764
14. 2 Marcel SCHROTTER GER Mahindra Racing Mahindra 147.6 +44.076
15. 1 Louis ROSSI FRA Matteoni Racing Aprilia 147.3 +50.240
16. Sturla FAGERHAUG NOR WTR-Ten10 Racing Aprilia 147.3 +50.297
17. Miroslav POPOV CZE Ellegi Racing Aprilia 146.3 +1'06.807
18. Luca GRUENWALD GER Freudenberg Racing Team KTM 146.3 +1'06.870
19. Alessandro TONUCCI ITA Team Italia FMI Aprilia 146.3 +1'07.004
20. Francesco MAURIELLO ITA WTR-Ten10 Racing Aprilia 146.3 +1'07.132
21. Taylor MACKENZIE GBR Phonica Racing Aprilia 145.8 +1'15.543
22. Joan PERELLO SPA Matteoni Racing Aprilia 145.6 +1'19.523
23. Miguel OLIVEIRA POR Andalucia Banca Civica Aprilia 145.5 +1'19.885
24. Giulian PEDONE SWI Phonica Racing Aprilia 144.8 +1'33.814
25. Ladislav CHMELIK CZE RJR Racing Aprilia 144.1 +1'45.564
26. Peter SEBESTYEN HUN Caretta Technology KTM 143.1 +2'03.770