Qatar MotoGP: Stoner takes first win on Honda
20 March 2011 19:44
Repsol Honda new boy Casey Stoner topped off a perfect weekend at Qatar by taking victory in the first MotoGP race of 2011.
Team-mate Dani Pedrosa got the holeshot, only for Stoner to take the lead after a couple of laps.
Pedrosa got past Stoner again and looked to be too fast for the Aussie at one point, but Stoner managed to get back past his team-mate and gap the Spaniard.
Reigning World champion Jorge Lorenzo then had Pedrosa in his sights, and after swapping positions several times managed to hold his position to finish second, with Pedrosa in third.
Hondas completed the top five, with Andrea Dovizioso and Marco Simoncelli in fourth and fifth respectively.
Ducati rider Valentino Rossi finished in seventh place, having battled with Ben Spies for most of the race, who finished sixth.
Brit Cal Crutchlow finished his first MotoGP race in 11th place after passing Hector Barbera on the final lap.
1. Casey Stoner AUS Repsol Honda Team 42m 38.569s
2. Jorge Lorenzo ESP Yamaha Factory Racing 42m 42.009s
3. Dani Pedrosa ESP Repsol Honda Team 42m 43.620s
4. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Repsol Honda Team 42m 44.511s
5. Marco Simoncelli ITA San Carlo Honda Gresini 42m 45.927s
6. Ben Spies USA Yamaha Factory Racing 42m 49.037s
7. Valentino Rossi ITA Ducati Marlboro Team 42m 55.000s
8. Colin Edwards USA Monster Yamaha Tech 3 43m 4.862s
9. Nicky Hayden USA Ducati Marlboro Team 43m 5.985s
10. Hiroshi Aoyama JPN San Carlo Honda Gresini 43m 7.489s
11. Cal Crutchlow GBR Monster Yamaha Tech 3 43m 13.108s
12. Hector Barbera ESP Mapfre Aspar Team 43m 13.398s
13. Karel Abraham CZE Cardion AB Motoracing 43m 16.526s