Sepang test: Stoner ends first pre-season test on top
02 February 2012 10:08
Repsol Honda rider Casey Stoner ended the first pre-season test in Sepang at the top of the timesheets, despite torrential rain bringing the final day to a close 40 minutes earlier than planned.
Stoner was the only rider to dip under the two minute mark, posting a fastest lap of 1:59.607 on only his second of 21 laps aboard the new 1000cc Honda RC213V.
2010 MotoGP world champion Jorge Lorenzo continued his impressive comeback after losing the tip of his wedding ring finger at Phillip Island in October. Before this test the Spaniard had not ridden a MotoGP bike since the accident on October 16.
Dani Pedrosa finished the test in third, ahead of Yamaha rider Ben Spies in fourth.
Factory Ducati rider Valentino Rossi finished the test as top Ducati with the fifth fastest time, just ahead of Pramac Ducati rider Hector Barbera in sixth.
Brit Cal Crutchlow completed 26 laps on the final day, posting the seventh fastest time and staying ahead of new team-mate and former factory Honda rider Andrea Dovizioso in eighth.
Texan Colin Edwards finished the test as the top CRT rider onboard his NGM Mobile Forward Racing Suter BMW. Edwards' time of 2:04.722 was 5.115 slower than Stoner's best time.
1. Casey Stoner AUS Repsol Honda 1m 59.607s (Lap 2/18)
2. Jorge Lorenzo ESP Yamaha Factory Racing 2m 0.198s (18/35)
3. Dani Pedrosa ESP Repsol Honda 2m 0.256s (3/24)
4. Ben Spies USA Yamaha Factory Racing 2m 0.495s (15/16)
5. Valentino Rossi ITA Ducati Team 2m 0.824s (11/38)
6. Hector Barbera ESP Pramac Racing 2m 0.929s (6/34)
7. Cal Crutchlow GBR Monster Yamaha Tech 3 2m 1.108s (2/24)
8. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Monster Yamaha Tech 3 2m 1.257s (10/40)
9. Alvaro Bautista ESP San Carlo Honda Gresini 2m 1.384s (8/31)
10. Nicky Hayden USA Ducati Team 2m 1.729s (8/19)
11. Stefan Bradl GER LCR Honda 2m 1.894s (6/38)
12. Karel Abraham CZE Cardion AB Motoracing 2m 2.218s (5/32)
13. Katsuyuki Nakasuga JPN Yamaha Test Rider 2m 2.334s (2/27)
14. Franco Battaini ITA Ducati Test Rider 2m 3.033s (9/34)
15. Colin Edwards USA Forward Racing (Suter-BMW CRT) 2m 4.722s (18/34)
16. Ivan Silva ESP Avintia Racing (FTR-Kawasaki CRT) 2m 8.225s (26/38)
17. Robertino Pietri VEN Avintia Racing (FTR-Kawasaki CRT) 2m 9.640s (10/16)
18. Jordi Torres ESP Avintia Racing (FTR-Kawasaki CRT) 2m 10.184s (16/29)