Melandri takes race one win at Aragon
WSB Aragon: Melandri takes race one win
19 June 2011 12:18
Marco Melandri managed to secure his second win this season in race one at Aragon.
The Yamaha World Superbike rider managed a strong start to lead briefly, before being passed by Max Biaggi (Aprilia Alitalia Racing). Melandri kept pace with Biaggi who led the majority of the race until he faltered under pressure, running wide whilst braking at the end of lap fifteen. Melandri seized the opportunity to pass Biaggi and built a gap in the final laps to take the win.
Biaggi's team mate Leon Camier rode consistently quickly, battling with Carlos Checa (Althea Racing) for third place. Checa began pushing harder, setting the fastest lap and closing the gap on Biaggi and Melandri, before crashing out on lap eight, leaving room for Camier to take third.
The fight for fourth place was hotly contested with Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team) passing Noriyuki Haga (PATA Racing Team Aprilia) mid-race, before Haga reclaimed fourth going into turn one on lap fourteen. Eugene Laverty (Yamaha World Superbike Team) upped his pace to relegate Sykes to sixth and then passed Haga to claim fourth. Sykes doggedly battled with Haga, finally taking fifth in the penultimate lap. Heading towards the finish line, Sykes caught Laverty but was unable to pass the Irishman.
Spaniard Joan Lascorz (Kawasaki Racing Team) finished eigth, ahead of Ayrton Badovini (BMW Motorrad Italia). The factory BMW Motorrad riders ended the race with their own battle for position, with Leon Haslam emerging to take ninth, whilst Troy Corser finished in tenth position.
1. Marco Melandri (Yamaha World Superbike Team) Yamaha YZF R1 40'01.968
2. Max Biaggi (Aprilia Alitalia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 40'03.540
3. Leon Camier (Aprilia Alitalia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 40'04.400
4. Eugene Laverty (Yamaha World Superbike Team) Yamaha YZF R1 40'12.767
5. Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team Superbike) Kawasaki ZX-10R 40'12.815
6. Noriyuki Haga (PATA Racing Team Aprilia) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 40'13.899
7. Joan Lascorz (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 40'14.559
8. Ayrton Badovini (BMW Motorrad Italia SBK Team) BMW S1000 RR 40'18.922
9. Leon Haslam (BMW Motorrad Motorsport) BMW S1000 RR 40'26.173
10. Troy Corser (BMW Motorrad Motorsport) BMW S1000 RR 40'26.662
11. Sylvain Guintoli (Team Effenbert-Liberty Racing) Ducati 1098R 40'26.699
12. Chris Vermeulen (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 40'32.375
13. Maxime Berger (Supersonic Racing Team) Ducati 1098R 40'36.075
14. Roberto Rolfo (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 40'39.201
15. Mark Aitchison (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 40'44.972
16. Ruben Xaus (Castrol Honda) Honda CBR1000RR 41'46.065
RT. Michel Fabrizio (Team Suzuki Alstare) Suzuki GSX-R1000 18'05.928
RT. Carlos Checa (Althea Racing) Ducati 1098R 13'59.560
RT. Jakub Smrz (Team Effenbert-Liberty Racing) Ducati 1098R 10'15.367
RT. Lorenzo Lanzi (BMW Motorrad Italia SBK Team) BMW S1000 RR 4'22.300