Portimao WSB: Sykes storms to Superpole number eight
23 September 2012 08:52
Tom Sykes secured anther brilliant Superpole victory – his eighth of 2012. Onboard his factory Kawasaki Sykes also set a new best lap of the Portimao circuit with a stunning lap time using a rear qualifying tyre of 1’41.415.
Second place went to a hard riding Carlos Checa onboard his Althea Ducati. The Spanish rider was clearly pushing the limits of his bike and tyres but was rewarded with a front row start which will be significant for tomorrow’s two races.
Eugene Laverty backed up his qualifying pace with place on the front row of the grid in third. The Irishman cites Portimao as one of his favourite circuits and will be looking to build on his recent run of strong results in the two races tomorrow.
Title contender Marco Melandri claimed fourth spot one place ahead of his main rival Max Biaggi in fifth.
Brits Leon Haslam, Jonathan Rea and Chaz Davies rounded out the second row of the grid with Leon Camier in ninth after a broken gear linkage prevented him graduating into Superpole three.
Portimao - FIM Superbike World Championship - Superpole 3
1. Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'41.415
2. Carlos Checa (Althea Racing) Ducati 1098R 1'41.780
3. Eugene Laverty (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'41.789
4. Marco Melandri (BMW Motorrad Motorsport) BMW S1000 RR 1'42.015
5. Max Biaggi (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'42.140
6. Leon Haslam (BMW Motorrad Motorsport) BMW S1000 RR 1'42.271
7. Jonathan Rea (Honda World Superbike Team) Honda CBR1000RR 1'42.717
8. Chaz Davies (ParkinGO MTC Racing) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'43.459
9. Leon Camier (FIXI Crescent Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 1'42.767
10. Davide Giugliano (Althea Racing) Ducati 1098R 1'42.799
11. Sylvain Guintoli (PATA Racing Team) Ducati 1098R 1'42.995
12. Loris Baz (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'43.199
13. Brett McCormick (Team Effenbert Liberty Racing) Ducati 1098R 1'43.410
14. Ayrton Badovini (BMW Motorrad Italia GoldBet) BMW S1000 RR 1'43.483
15. Michel Fabrizio (BMW Motorrad Italia GoldBet) BMW S1000 RR 1'43.863
16. David Salom (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'44.479
17. Hiroshi Aoyama (Honda World Superbike Team) Honda CBR1000RR 1'44.569
18. Lorenzo Zanetti (PATA Racing Team) Ducati 1098R 1'44.790
19. John Hopkins (FIXI Crescent Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 1'44.865
20. Alexander Lundh (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'45.158
21. Lorenzo Lanzi (Liberty Racing Team Effenbert) Ducati 1098R 1'45.682
22. Matteo Baiocco (Red Devils Roma) Ducati 1098R 1'46.344
23. Norino Brignola (Grillini Progea Superbike Team) BMW S1000 RR 1'46.891