WSB Aragon Race 2: Davies dominates in Aragon
14 April 2013 15:14
Chaz Davies dominated race two at Aragon to complete a perfect weekend, walking away with a full complement of 50 points and establishing himself as a championship contender.
The race start was delayed when Jules Cluzel had problems on the line, forcing his bike off the grid and leading to a second warm-up lap.
Eugene Laverty led away from the line before crashing heavily at turn three, causing his second DNF of the weekend, meaning yesterday’s championship leader leaves with no points.
Sykes got the holeshot following Laverty’s demise, battling with race one winner Chaz Davies and Sylvain Guintoli. However, Sykes made a mistake on lap two, running wide and allowing Davies through to the lead.
Guintoli and Melandri also got through while Sykes regained momentum, while Davies put in the fastest lap of the race to pull a second at the front.
The big battle on track became that for sixth, with Loris Baz, Leon Haslam, Jules Cluzel, Jonathan Rea and Carlos Checa fighting it out before Rea was forced to retire with brake problems.
Sykes made a push back at half distance, taking third off Melandri, behind Guintoli (with a 4 second lead) and Davies (a further 2.5 seconds clear).
However, Sykes didn’t have it easy from there, with Giugliano coming through past Melandri to push him in the closing stages of the race. The Ducati rider pushed Sykes for a number of laps, before Sykes was able to once again pull away.
Haslam brought home his Pata Honda in 9th, while Rea managed to re-join and lap in 15th, although ineligible to score points.
Aragon - FIM Superbike World Championship - Race 2
1. Chaz Davies (BMW Motorrad GoldBet SBK) BMW S1000 RR 37'52.691
2. Sylvain Guintoli (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 37'57.726
3. Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 38'00.368
4. Davide Giugliano (Althea Racing) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 38'05.240
5. Marco Melandri (BMW Motorrad GoldBet SBK) BMW S1000 RR 38'12.457
6. Loris Baz (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 38'16.546
7. Jules Cluzel (Fixi Crescent Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 38'19.617
8. Carlos Checa (Team Ducati Alstare) Ducati 1199 Panigale R 38'24.284
9. Leon Haslam (Pata Honda World Superbike) Honda CBR1000RR 38'27.999
10. Ayrton Badovini (Team Ducati Alstare) Ducati 1199 Panigale R 38'37.188
11. Michel Fabrizio (Red Devils Roma) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 38'45.762
12. Max Neukirchner (MR-Racing) Ducati 1199 Panigale R 38'47.914
13. Alexander Lundh (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 39'25.686
14. Ivan Clementi (HTM Racing) BMW S1000 RR 39'34.670
15. Jonathan Rea (Pata Honda World Superbike) Honda CBR1000RR 38'46.723
RT. Federico Sandi (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 13'31.782
RT. Vittorio Iannuzzo (Grillini Dentalmatic SBK) BMW S1000 RR
RT. Eugene Laverty (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory
NS. Mark Aitchison (Team Effenbert Liberty Racing) Ducati 1098R