Silverstone WSB: Sofuoglu battles to controversial supersport win
04 August 2013 14:10
Kawasaki rider Kenan Sofuogolu won the World Supersport race at Silverstone after a race long battle with Sam Lowes, which saw the two riders collide on the final lap.
Sofuoglu's Kawasaki was visibly faster than the Yamaha of Lowes, but Lowes made his move in to first on the final lap. Sofuoglu looked to cut straight back and mvoed up the inside of Lowes immediately.
Lowes was unaware of the move and collided with the Turkish rider, sliding in to the gravel. Lowes managed to keep the bike running and remounted to finish second and hold onto his championship lead.
Sofuoglu's team-mate Fabien Foret rode a strong race to finish third after battling with Scottish rider Kev Coghloan, who finished fourth.
The ParkinGO MV Agusta's of Chrisitian Iddon and Roberto Rolfo worked well around the Northamptonshire circuit with the duo finishing fifth and sixth respectively.
1. Kenan Sofuoglu (MAHI Racing Team India) Kawasaki ZX-6R 34'25.660
2. Sam Lowes (Yakhnich Motorsport) Yamaha YZF R6 34'35.161
3. Fabien Foret (MAHI Racing Team India) Kawasaki ZX-6R 34'37.825
4. Kev Coghlan (Kawasaki DMC-Lorenzini Team) Kawasaki ZX-6R 34'37.919
5. Christian Iddon (ParkinGo MV Agusta Corse) MV Agusta F3 675 34'38.151
6. Roberto Rolfo (ParkinGo MV Agusta Corse) MV Agusta F3 675 34'38.250
7. Jack Kennedy (Rivamoto) Honda CBR600RR 34'39.285
8. Florian Marino (Kawasaki Intermoto Ponyexpres) Kawasaki ZX-6R 34'40.669
9. Michael Vd Mark (Pata Honda World Supersport) Honda CBR600RR 34'47.059
10. Vladimir Leonov (Yakhnich Motorsport) Yamaha YZF R6 34'47.481
11. Lorenzo Zanetti (Pata Honda World Supersport) Honda CBR600RR 34'49.124
12. Roberto Tamburini (Team Lorini) Honda CBR600RR 34'53.234
13. Luca Scassa (Kawasaki Intermoto Ponyexpres) Kawasaki ZX-6R 34'53.300
14. Alex Baldolini (Suriano Racing Team) Suzuki GSX-R600 34'53.433
15. David Salom (Kawasaki Intermoto Ponyexpres) Kawasaki ZX-6R 34'53.898
16. Mathew Scholtz (Suriano Racing Team) Suzuki GSX-R600 34'54.696
17. Glen Richards (Smiths Triumph) Triumph Daytona 675 34'54.868
18. Ronan Quarmby (Prorace) Honda CBR600RR 34'59.792
19. Sheridan Morais (PTR Honda) Honda CBR600RR 35'08.846
20. Luca Marconi (PTR Honda) Honda CBR600RR 35'09.040
21. Imre Toth (Racing Team Toth) Honda CBR600RR 35'17.932
22. Billy McConnell (Smiths Triumph) Triumph Daytona 675 35'24.378
23. David Linortner (Team Honda PTR) Honda CBR600RR 35'25.842
24. Fabio Menghi (VFT Racing) Yamaha YZF R6 35'28.574
25. Matt Davies (Team Honda PTR) Honda CBR600RR 35'42.039
26. Ivan Clementi (Team Goeleven) Kawasaki ZX-6R 35'42.307
27. Nacho Calero Perez (Honda PTR) Honda CBR600RR 35'42.407
28. Yves Polzer (Team MRC Austria) Honda CBR600RR 36'04.218
29. Alexey Ivanov (Kawasaki DMC-Lorenzini Team) Kawasaki ZX-6R 36'04.622
30. Mitchell Carr (AARK Racing) Honda CBR600RR 36'04.718
31. Eduard Blokhin (Rivamoto) Honda CBR600RR 36'13.187
RT. Massimo Roccoli (Team Pata by Martini) Yamaha YZF R6 31'08.877