Silverstone WSB: Baz takes win after red flag
04 August 2013 16:07
Frenchman Loris Baz claimed his second WSB win in the second race at Silverstone in a race that again started dry and finished in tricky conditions.
Baz took to the front after a strong start and looked in control when the rain flags came out on lap six. Despite the rain flags, the pace stayed high until it really began to rain on lap 17, when the race was red flagged.
Suzuki rider Jules Cluzel crashed outof second place on lap 17, as did Leon Haslam, who high-sided and landed heavily on his injured leg. The race was taken back a lap giving Cluzel his first WSB podium finish ahead of Eugene Laverty in third.
Race one winner Jonathan Rea was perhaps hoping for trickier conditions and again came on strong as the conditions worsened, finishing in fourth place.
Fixi Crescent Suzuki rider Leon Haslam, fresh from his third place in race one, took the lead on lap 12, but was then pushed back to sixth as he ran wide getting caught up with the riders around him.
Chaz Davies' hopes of a win were shot down when he suffered a mechanical problem on lap 15 while in second place.
Kawasaki's Tom Sykes again struggled in the conditions and finished in seventh place, behind rival Sylvain Guintoli in sixth. Guintoli still leads the championship.
1. Loris Baz (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 33'46.622
2. Jules Cluzel (Fixi Crescent Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 33'47.231
3. Eugene Laverty (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 33'47.491
4. Jonathan Rea (Pata Honda World Superbike) Honda CBR1000RR 33'48.767
5. Leon Camier (Fixi Crescent Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 33'48.851
6. Sylvain Guintoli (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 33'48.996
7. Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 33'52.413
8. Ayrton Badovini (Team Ducati Alstare) Ducati 1199 Panigale R 34'06.748
9. Marco Melandri (BMW Motorrad GoldBet SBK) BMW S1000 RR 34'06.831
10. Carlos Checa (Team Ducati Alstare) Ducati 1199 Panigale R 34'07.251
11. Michel Fabrizio (Red Devils Roma) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 34'07.391
12. Max Neukirchner (MR-Racing) Ducati 1199 Panigale R 34'08.029
13. Federico Sandi (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 34'31.637
14. Mark Aitchison (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 34'32.560
15. Davide Giugliano (Althea Racing) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 34'32.658
16. Vittorio Iannuzzo (Grillini Dentalmatic SBK) BMW S1000 RR 35'08.829
RT. Leon Haslam (Pata Honda World Superbike) Honda CBR1000RR 34'06.566
RT. Chaz Davies (BMW Motorrad GoldBet SBK) BMW S1000 RR 29'33.669