WSS Phillip Island: Sofuoglu storms to opening-round victory
24 February 2013 03:33
Kenan Sofuoglu stormed to victory in the opening round of the 2013 World Supersport Championship at Phillip Island, steering his Mahi Kawasaki to the win ahead of Brit Sam Lowes.
After a race-long battle that saw multiple overtakes, the Turkish rider put his head down on lap 14 to set the fastest lap of the race and distance Lowes, to win by 1.899 seconds.
Pata Honda rookie Michael van der Mark was third on his WSS debut, sticking with the race leaders until the closing stages of the race.
Fabien Foret inherited fourth after the MV Agusta of Robbie Rolfo expired on the second last lap, ahead of Intermoto Kawasaki teammates David Salom and Luca Scassa. Antonelli, Zanetti and Roccoli filled out the Italian-dominated top ten.
The final place in the top ten was taken by Irish newcomer to the series Jack Kennedy, after running as high as fourth in the early laps.
Kev Coghlan was 18th after a lap 5 crash, and Christian Iddon was 21st after mechanical problems towards the end of the race.
1. K Sofuoglu (MAHI Racing Team India) Kawasaki ZX-6R
2. S Lowes (Yakhnich Motorsport) Yamaha YZF R6 +1.899
3. M Vd Mark (Pata Honda World Supersport) Honda CBR600RR +6.771
4. F Foret (MAHI Racing Team India) Kawasaki ZX-6R +11.095
5. D Salom (Kawasaki Intermoto Ponyexpress) Kawasaki ZX-6R +12.076
6. Luca Scassa (Kawasaki Intermoto Ponyexpres) Kawasaki ZX-6R +12.943
7. Andrea Antonelli (Team Goeleven) Kawasaki ZX-6R +23.968
8. Lorenzo Zanetti (Pata Honda World Supersport) Honda CBR600RR +24.536
9. Massimo Roccoli (Team Pata by Martini) Yamaha YZF R6 +24.762
10. Jack Kennedy (Rivamoto) Honda CBR600RR +24.809
18. Kev Coghlan (Kawasaki DMC-Lorenzini Team) Kawasaki ZX-6R +45.430
21. Christian Iddon (ParkinGo MV Agusta Corse) MV Agusta F3 675 +52.541