WSB Moscow Q1 – Sykes on provisional pole, Checa in the mix
19 July 2013 16:06
Kawasaki rider Tom Sykes continued his seemingly unstoppable momentum which has seen him win four of the last six races with another day at the top of the timesheets after the opening qualifying session at Moscow Raceway.
Sykes posted a 1’35.567 on the 19th and final lap of the session to secure provisional pole ahead of in form Italians David Giugliano and Marco Melandri.
While Sykes’ leader board topping time was not a great surprise, Carlos Checa’s fourth place in qualifying was. Onboard the all new Ducati 1199 Panigale, Checa has had a disastrous season to date, but after a recent test at Misano it appears that he and the Alstare team are finally finding a way to make the set-up work.
Eugene Laverty claimed fifth spot with Fixi Crescent Suzuki rider Leon Camier impressing to set the sixth fastest time ahead of Pata Honda man Jonathan Rea. Chaz Davies finished the day in 10th with Leon Haslam 12th.
Sylvain Guintoli posted 11 laps in the qualifying session despite riding with a recently dislocated collarbone. He set the 14th fastest time and is clearly struggling with the injury..
Moscow - FIM Superbike World Championship - Qualifying 1
1. Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'35.567
2. Davide Giugliano (Althea Racing) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'35.615
3. Marco Melandri (BMW Motorrad GoldBet SBK) BMW S1000 RR 1'35.891
4. Carlos Checa (Team Ducati Alstare) Ducati 1199 Panigale R 1'35.921
5. Eugene Laverty (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'35.964
6. Leon Camier (Fixi Crescent Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 1'36.013
7. Jonathan Rea (Pata Honda World Superbike) Honda CBR1000RR 1'36.084
8. Michel Fabrizio (Red Devils Roma) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'36.162
9. Loris Baz (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'36.260
10. Chaz Davies (BMW Motorrad GoldBet SBK) BMW S1000 RR 1'36.303
11. Jules Cluzel (Fixi Crescent Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 1'36.304
12. Leon Haslam (Pata Honda World Superbike) Honda CBR1000RR 1'36.585
13. Ayrton Badovini (Team Ducati Alstare) Ducati 1199 Panigale R 1'36.787
14. Sylvain Guintoli (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'36.820
15. Max Neukirchner (MR-Racing) Ducati 1199 Panigale R 1'36.881
16. Federico Sandi (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'38.048
17. Vittorio Iannuzzo (Grillini Dentalmatic SBK) BMW S1000 RR 1'39.079
18. Lorenzo Savadori (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'39.504