John McGuinness smashed the 130mph lap barrier in the Senior race at the Isle of Man TT
Isle of Man TT: McGuinness tops 130mph to win the Senior
08 June 2007 11:07
John McGuinness has broken the 130mph average lap speed on his way to taking the win in the Senior race at the Isle of Man TT.
McGuinness lead the race from the start with only Guy Martin able to get close to his lap times.
The record lap speed was broken on lap two and helped McGuinness on his way to a record breaking total race time of 1 hour 46 minutes 44 seconds, 54 seconds inside the record.
McGuinness is now the third most successful TT rider behind Joey Dunlop and Mike Hailwood.
Check out the rest of the article for the live updates from the race from bottom up.
- McGuinness: "Unbeleiveable, brilliant, first one to break the record. I can beleive it. I'd like to take the oportunity to thank everyone. Everything was brilliant, pitstops, track, bike. It has really capped the week to become the third best rider overall. When I did the 130mph lap everybody round the course just rose up as I went past. I'd never have though a couple of years ago that I would be a 13 times TT winner."
- John McGuinness wheelies past the chequered flag to take the win in a record time of 1:46:44.23, 54 seconds inside the record, including the record breaking 130mph lap
- Martin now almost 27 seconds down on McGuinness at Ramsey Hairpin on the final lap
- McGuinness is 10mph down on Hutchinson through the Sulby Speed trap
- McGuinness has a 24 seconds lead over Martin at Glen Helen on the final and only flying lap.
- Top 8 at the end of Lap 5: John McGuinness, Guy Martin, Ian Hutchinson, Ian Lougher, Adrian Archibald, Conor Cummins, Steve Plater, Michael Rutter
- McGuinness finishes lap 5 with a lap time a second faster than Guy Martin
- McGuinness is managing to hold his lead over Martin but both riders are pulling away from Hutchinson
- John McGuinness extends his lead to 20 seconds or Guy Martin at Glen Helen on lap 5
- Ian Hutchinson lost 20 seconds at the Glen Helen Split and is now 40 seconds back from second place man Guy Martin.
- Top ten after lap 4: John McGuinness, Guy Martin, Ian Hutchinson, Ian Lougher, Adrian Archibald, Conor Cummins, Michael Rutter, Steve Plater, Ian Armstrong, Gary Carswell
- Rutter has problems with the rear wheel in the pits
- Martin and Hutchinson pit at the end of lap 4, McGuinness does a 129.296mph lap
- Both McGuinnes and Martin are pulling away from the field with the gap between Martin and Lougher up to 22 seconds at Ramsey
- McGuinness is edging out his lead again with 17 seconds over Guy Martin at Glen Helen on Lap 4
- Top 8 at end of lap 3: John McGuinness, Guy Martin, Ian Hutchinson, Ian Lougher, Adrian Archibald, Conor Cummins, Michael Rutter, Steve Plater
- Past the grandstand McGuinness has extended his lead to 17 seconds with Ian Hutchins a further 18 seconds behind.
- McGuinness is holding his lead of 16 seconds over Guy Martin at the Bungalow
- Michael Rutter has moved up to 7th at Ramsey Hairpin, 30 seconds back on local man Conor Cummins and almost 2 minutes down on the leader McGuinness
- Martin knocks another second off McGuinness at Ramsey Hairpin
- Guy Martin is pulling back John McGuinness several seconds every split and is now just 17 seconds back on the leader at Ballaugh Bridge.
- Keith Amor retires from 10th place
- Guy Martin has pulled 3 seconds back on McGuineness at Glen Hellen so is now only 20 seconds down
- Top ten after lap 2: John Mcguinness, Guy Martin, Ian Hutchinson, Ian Lougher, Conor Cummins, Adrian Archibald, Michael Rutter, Steve PLater, Keith Amor, Ian Armstrong
- John McGuinness now has a 23 second lead after the pit stops
- Steve Plater comes in to the pits on the second lap almost a minute and half down on McGuinness in 8th place
- Guy Martin is now 14 seconds down on McGuinness but third place manHutchinson has a disaster in the pits with his chain and loses time.
- McGUinnes has taken a 130.354 mph lap breaking the barrier and making history as the first man to go that fast round the Isle of Man TT
- At Ramsey hairpin McGuinness is almost 12 seconds ahead of Hutchinson and on pace for a 130mph lap but he has to pit at the end of the second lap
- Conor Cummins is the fastest Manx native in the race and is currently sitting in 5th place
- McGuinness has clocked a 129.883mph lap
- John McGuinness is leading the race by over 10 seconds on the second lap, followed by Guy Martin and Ian Hutchinson.