Shane Byrne has set the fastest time in free practice at Knockhill
Knockhill British Superbikes: Shane Byrne tops FP1; John Laverty out
08 August 2008 13:41
Shane Byrne has topped the opening British Superbike session of the weekend at Knockhill, but only just.
The current series leader, who is a point shy of a hundred in front of the rest of the chasing pack, set the fastest time of Free Practice one with a 49.221.
But HM Plant Honda’s Leon Haslam is right on his coat tails, setting his best of a 49.222!
Michael Laverty was also well on the pace, setting a best of 49.244 on his Relentless Suzuki.
But he’ll be the only Laverty out on Sunday, after brother John highsided his Buildbase North West 200 Ducati at Hislop’s.
The current Daily Star Cup championship leader skittled into the tyre wall, reportedly breaking two ribs and knocking himself unconscious.
The younger of the two Laverty brothers will also be joined on the injury list by Supersport rider Dan Cooper.
Cooper was involved in a turn one crash with MAP Embassy Triumph rider Paul Young in an earlier session.
The Centurion Honda rider will also miss the rest of the weekend after being knocked out and also suffered a dislocated shoulder.
In fact, in the opening two session of the weekend we’ve seen no less than four red flags.
In the Superbike race Shannon Etheridge crashed in the first two minutes of the session and both Chris Burns and James Ellison hit the deck at the Chicane
Knockhill British Superbike Free Practice One Results
1. Shane Byrne Airwaves Ducati 49.221
2. Leon Halsam HM Plant Honda 49.222
3. Michael Laverty Relentless Suzuki 49.244
4. Tom Sykes Rizla Suzuki 49.411
5. Cal Crutchlow HM Plant Honda 49.552
6. Karl Harris RM Racing Yamaha 49.658
7. Michael Rutter North West 200 Ducati 49.670
8. Leon Camier Airwaves Ducati 49.673
9. Scott Smart Hawk Kawasaki 49.931
10. Simon Andrews Lloyds British Jentin Yamaha 49.946
11. John Laverty Buildbase NW200 Ducati 49.998
12. Tristan Palmer Tena for Men Honda 50.000
13. Gary Mason Quay Garage Honda 50.003
14. Billy McConnell MSS Kawasaki 50.009
15. Atsushi Watanabe Rizla Suzuki 50.431
16. Chris Burns STP MV Agusta 50.611