Tom Sykes has taken his third win on the bounce at Knockhill
Knockhill British Superbikes: Tom Sykes takes race one win
10 August 2008 13:32
Rizla Suzuki rider Tom Sykes has taken his first British Superbike race win on the bounce in the first race at Knockhill.
Sykes got an excellent start from the grid pushing through to second from the second row on the grid, behind Michael Rutter, who got the hole shot from the start.
Pole position man Leon Haslam was running in third with the leading pair of Rutter and Sykes until he crashed on lap 10. The crash rounded out a disappointing first race for HM Plant Honda, after Cal Crutchlow crashed on lap six and did not restart.
At the end of lap two Sykes made an attempt to pass Rutter, but Rutter pushed Sykes on to the curb, with the Suzuki rider almost high-siding.
Tom Sykes managed to take the lead on lap nine after several attempts at passing Rutter.
James Ellison and championship leader Shane Byrne managed to stay with the leading duo and on lap 20 Byrne shot passed Rutter after the two swapped places several times during the lap.
A few laps later Ellison followed and passed Rutter to take third spot.
Meanwhile Leon Camier and Michael Laverty were battling for fifth place several seconds behind the leading pack.
Scott Smart was running a good race, until he crahed out on lap 19. A lap later Billy McConnell and Atsushi Watanabe had a coming together at the hairpin.
Watanabe was stretchered off, with what is thought to be severe bruising.
On lap 27 Shane Byrne almost lost second position as he caught up to Chris Burns and the two had a coming together.
1. Tom Sykes GBR Rizla Suzuki 25mins 09.296secs
2. Shane Byrne GBR Airwaves Ducati +3.093 secs
4. James Ellison GBR Hydrex Bike Animal Honda +3.479 secs
3. Michael Rutter GBR NW 200 Ducati +5.752 secs
5. Leon Camier GBR Airwaves Ducati +9.345 secs
6. Michael Laverty GBR Relentless TAS Suzuki +9.461 secs
7. Karl Harris GBR Rob Mac Racing Yamaha +19.051 secs
8. Simon Andrews GBR Lloyds Jentin Yamaha +36.055 secs
9. Tristan Palmer GBR Tena for Men Honda +39.097 secs
10. Gary Mason GBR Quay Garage Honda (CUP) +40.021 secs
11. Tom Grant GBR SMT Honda +40.081 secs
12. Steve Mercer GBR MSS Discovery Kawasaki +1 lap
13. David Johnson AUS Maxxis Honda +1 lap
14. Martin Jessopp GBR Riders Racing Honda (CUP) +1 lap
15. Chris Burns GBR STP MV Agusta +1 lap
16. Leon Morris GBR Trimite Brookspeed Ducati (CUP) +1 lap
17. Aaron Zanotti GBR Red Viper Honda +1 lap
18. Tom Tunstall GBR Hardinge/Ice Valley Honda (CUP) +1 lap
19. Shannon Etheridge AUS MAR Adept Kawasaki +2 laps (CUP)
20. Michael Howarth GBR Tena for Men Honda (CUP) +2 laps