APRILIA SHIVER 750 (2010-on) Review

Published: 07 May 2010

"For 2010 they've made the Shiver more user friendly…"

Aprilia Shiver 750

"For 2010 they've made the Shiver more user friendly…"

• £7,132

For 2010 they’ve made the Shiver more user friendly by lowering and narrowing the seat. They’ve also improved the sporting side of the Aprilia by giving the new bike higher and further set back pegs, slightly different bars, narrower rear wheel, and improving the brakes with racy wavy discs. Suspension has also been firmed up slightly. Cosmetically it’s been given a sportier new look and new noise.

The lower and narrow seat means you’re slightly more involved with the bike, more in it than on it. Suspension has been slightly stiffened for 2010 and the additional rear set pegs give the Shiver a sporting edge. Brakes are strong and progressive. Over long distances it’s not perfect but fine for a long days riding with a few breaks.

Engine wise the Shiver remains virtually unchanged, however Aprilia admit to playing around with the fuelling and fly by wire to make the fuelling smoother. This means power and torque is the same as before 95bhp and 60ftlb of torque, which is enough for a top speed of around 130mph. You don’t really need to bounce the Shiver off its rev limiter as there is plenty of usable torque for a brisk road ride.

Considering the price tag of just over £6,000 the new Shiver doesn’t appear of feel budget in anyway. Aprilia have significantly improved there build quality over the last ten years and the new Shiver is evident of that. Steel/cast aluminium mix frame, cast aluminium braced swing-arm and deep quality feeling paintwork. Engine wise there is no reason to question the quality or reliability of the 750 liquid cooled V-Twin.

In the price competitive sector the Shiver appears to be exceptional value for money, cheaper than its Japanese rivals and cheaper than Ducati’s new Monster. For just over £6000 you have a slice of Italian exotica with is just as happy commuting to work or delivering fun miles for in-experienced riders on a Sunday blast. Find an Aprilia Shiver for sale.

Insurance group: 15 of 17 – compare motorcycle insurance quotes now.

ABS is optional for an extra £300. However, Brembo brakes comes as standard the rear Sacks side mounted shock is also fully adjustable. Additionally to the fly-by-wire the Shiver comes with 3 different engine modes Sport, Touring and Rain, which can be activated on the move. There’s also the same as before LCD multi functional display which can also be operated from the mode switch on the left bar. Compare and buy parts for the Shiver in the MCN Shop.

5 owners have reviewed their APRILIA SHIVER 750 (2010-on) and rated it in a number of areas. Read what they have to say and what they like and dislike about the bike below.

We’re currently improving the way this section works, which means we’ve had to suspend the submission of new owners’ reviews for a short period. Please check back soon.

Excellent fun

09 December 2013 by regsy

I have ridden fast bikes, fun bikes and big heavy cruisers. My last bike was a Honda Deauville, don't judge me a bike accident left me with back trouble and the big soft Deauville was great. But my back is getting better and although I had plans to... Read more upgrade next year I borrowed a shiver while mine was being serviced, Stupidly. The shover is a bike that would never appeal to me, too hard and sporty, too naked, too Italian. I love it, from the first ride I enjoyed the torque, the response and the feedback, it was fun. Each ride brings a big stupid grin to my face, the riding position is upright, and even my 6'4"'s are comfortable, no leg cramps, no wrist pain and no back pain. The handling is good, not nervous or fidgety but planted and willing to do what you it too. Best of all is the engine, you honestly can't beat a torquey twin, don't get me wrong I loved my old ZZR1100 but this is different it a lovely smooth eager pull round most of the rev range. This is a great bike, its not going to lose you your license either, you can have a big grin on your face every day, very good package.

Disappointing

03 September 2013 by Crichton51

Went down from a sportsbike to an all-rounder for commuting in all weathers. Whilst the differences in performance were to be expected, the poor handling has been a real surprise. My bike is virtually new but has a Jerky throttle response and the... Read more handling on the front has no feeling and is very light. Make sure you test ride before you buy one - I stupidly didn't. Whilst it has handled long trips with no problem it is actually the commuting which has been disappointing.

Brilliant

07 August 2011 by Dionsutherns

Love it; having had many a bike from all genres I think I’ve settled on a bike to suit my every need. On normal road surfaces it handles the bumps incredibly well when I get somewhere I feel I’ve ridden there as opposed to bounced there as can be... Read more the case on some very track orientated modern bikes. The engine and multiple mapping modes are new to me but I’m loving choices. It corners beautifully and inspires confidence whatever the situation. If I had to find a niggle it would be that filling it up is slow as the fuel pump nozzle only goes in a very short way and the fuel light is coming on too early I sometimes have the light come on and then get less than 10L in(maybe I’m doing it wrong). Ace bike though.

Love at first sight

30 April 2011 by bailbath

As soon as I saw the new style I loved it and wanted it. One the most perfect bikes I have rode great value for money. The finish is only let down by the decals on the rear panels. The three modes on the engine are easy to select.I love the sport... Read more mode it makes the bike so keen.The rain mode is a real safety bonus and it softens the power to allow safe cornering in dodgy conditions. I use it all year round to commute and fun rides the finish has stood up well to the last winter. Is there anything I would change? Yes just give the rear panels a better finish with decals and that's it.

new rider

17 August 2010 by daniellishman

just bought the new shiver after passing my test 2 weeks ago. I wanted something with a bit of poke and not a sports bike and the shiver has delivered. Plenty of usable power thats very predictable, great first big bike!! Read more

Year introduced 2010
Warranty term Two year unlimited mileage
1/4-mile acceleration -
Front tyre size 120/60x17
Rear tyre size 180/55x17

2007: Aprilia Shiver 750 launched
2009: Half-faired Shiver GT launched
2010: Revised Shiver 750 launched with updated riding position, wavey discs & firmer suspension

Aprilia Shiver GT - half-faired version.