BMW S1000R (2014-on) Review

Published: 03 January 2014

"Very few performance bikes give you so much of everything, as the S1000R does"

BMW S1000R  (2014-on)

"Very few performance bikes give you so much of everything, as the S1000R does"

Very few performance bikes give you so much of everything, as the S1000R does. It’s two hugely capable bikes in one: it’s smooth, comfortable and safe, thanks to its flawless electronic rider aids, perfect throttle and usable power, but it’s wild when you want it to be, too. It’s exactly how you’d imagine a superbike with straight bars and no fairing to be. BMW has trimmed the power from the S1000RR’s 193bhp to 160bhp to make it more manageable for the road and the more upright riding position, but you’d never know – it’s nothing short of ballistic, anyway. There are two versions: the S1000R, which is basically a naked RR with two electronic riding modes, basic traction control and ABS. The Sport version is £1400 more expensive, but it’s the one to go for. It’s like a naked HP4, with semi-active electronic suspension, an additional two riding modes, full traction control and lots more goodies.

The R handles and stops as well as the RR superbike, which put simply, means it’s far better than you are on the road. It has fully-adjustable suspension, sticky Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa tyres, a stiff chassis and Brembo calipers. Go for the Sport version and you get BMW’s Dynamic Damping Control, which is outstanding. The rebound and compression damping adjust as you ride, depending on acceleration, deceleration, road speed, wheel speeds, throttle position, rear shock movement and TC/ABS intervention. It sounds complicated but the net result is the suspension is always set perfectly for the conditions, so you get more feeling for grip and lots more stability. The riding position is roomy and comfortable, but the footpegs are set relatively high.

Starting life as the inline four-cylinder 999cc S1000RR superbike engine, the R’s motor has a new cylinder head, redesigned ports, cam profiles, mapping, ignition coils and camshaft sensors. Power is down from 193bhp @ 13,000rpm to 160bhp @ 11,000rpm. Peak torque is the same (83ftlb) but made 500rpm lower. You’d never know the S1000R was lacking compared to its superbike sister. There’s enough oomph to wheelie off the throttle in third gear and more top speed than your neck muscles have strength for. But, there’s lots of grunt for normal riding, a smooth throttle and a superb traction control system that can be easily adjusted on the move via the riding mode buttons on the bars.

Build quality is at least as good as its main super naked rivals, but it doesn’t have the exquisite build of the best of the best, top-shelf superbike exotica. S1000RRs and HP4s have proved to be very reliable, so the S1000R shouldn’t be any different.

Even the Sport model is cheaper than its main rivals: the Tuono V4R ABS, Brutale 1090RR and 1290 Super Duke R. Only the Speed Triple R is cheaper.

Insurance group: 17 of 17 – compare motorcycle insurance quotes now.

Even the basic S1000R comes well-equipped, boasting two electronic rider aids, stability control, racing ABS, fully-adjustable suspension, sporty tyres, Brembos, and a multi-function LCD dash. The Sport has a further two riding modes, full traction control, cruise control, heated grips, bellypan, LED indicators and DDC suspension. A large range of BM accessories are also available, including a tank bag, tail pack and performance goodies.

12 owners have reviewed their BMW S1000R (2014-on) and rated it in a number of areas. Read what they have to say and what they like and dislike about the bike below.

Review your BMW S1000R (2014-on)

05 February 2017 by SRAD Pitt

This would be a five star bike if it weren't for the slightly suspect reliability and the poor dealership experience Read more

The DDC can get a little sloppy on track, but that's not a big issue. On the road it's great. Brakes are savage and I've changed to a set of SBS pads up front to reduce the initial bite and increase the power and feel
Great power, super smooth and very rattly
This is where the BMW falls short. I had a couple of breakdowns within the first 8 months of ownership - one broken clutch cable and some sort of fuel feed issue, the dealer wasn't very clear on the cause of this. The bike rattles VERY loudly for about half a second on startup, this is a problem that has slowly been getting worse, but there's little interest in it from the dealer (BMW Southbank in Melbourne, Aus) "it's under warranty, you'll be ok". The bike would stall on cold starts until I switched to running 95 octane fuel instead of 98. When this was reported (and a video supplied) the dealer explained that it was normal for the bike to do this. I asked why the bike would be designed to stall and they agreed to check it over - no faults were found.
Great bike apart from the reliability concerns. Lots of options and the adjustable traction control is a lot of fun. Not cheap, but the features are worth the outlay
The package is excellent, but the SBS pads offered an improvement as did a set of M7RRs to replace the iffy Diablo Rosso IIs

Salesperson and accessories staff are great, but the service dept could do with being a bit less condescending

11 October 2016 by S1000r

Subframe cracked after 10,000 Poor dealer support, even though it was under warranty bmw would not Fix it. Read more

Brakes are good, ride quality are poor
268 for a oil change

Very Disappointed

07 September 2016 by 121Rage

The S1000R is fast ... but not in a scary way like a 1000cc superbike is. It leaves me a little underwhelmed ... however the handling is great due to the DDC set-up on the Sport version I purchased. The handling can be a bit dim-witted with a... Read more pillion on board as the electronic suspension can't seem to adapt to the extra weight ... not so good for a £12k supernaked which is designed with road in mind.

Excellent handling (when the bike is working) but is quite hard to control in slow moving traffic due to the steep rake forks. Suspension can't cope with a pillion on board ... confuses the electronic suspension. Not good seeing as this is a bike predomninantly designed road use in mind.
About a year into ownership (June 2016) whilst cruising on a motorway at 70 mph I heard a metallic rattle (I had ear defenders inserted into my ears so it must have been quite loud for me to hear the noise over motorway noise, wind noise, plus helmet on) and the bike lost almost all power. It was clear there was an engine fault as the bike also went from sounding like an inline-4 to a faulty V-Twin. Luckily the bike still ran rather than throw me off onto the road on a motorway with fast moving traffic, and I was able to pull over safely. One of the valves had snapped/broken. Not Good!!!!!! Was returned to me with very poor silicone sealing on the engine cover which they opened in the repair process, damage to the engine block, a scratch on the chassis, rattling engine, and down on power.
The below account is a condensed version ... I could easily write war and peace ... Expected so much from this bike, and BMW. Bought this bike new in 2015 from BMW Park Lane at a cost of nearly £12k. I have done the whole superbike thing having had Yamaha R1's, Kawasaki ZX-10R's etc. etc. and wanted to try a Supernaked for the road. About a year into ownership (June 2016) whilst cruising on a motorway at 70 mph I heard a metallic rattle (I had ear defenders inserted into my ears so it must have been quite loud for me to hear the noise over motorway noise, wind noise, plus helmet on) and the bike lost almost all power. It was clear there was an engine fault as the bike also went from sounding like an inline-4 to a faulty V-Twin. Luckily the bike still ran rather than throw me off onto the road on a motorway with fast moving traffic, and I was able to pull over safely. I called BMW recovery and waited for recovery. Recovery took over 3 hours to arrive. What made the matter worse is that this was a Sunday approaching 3 p.m. I knew that the bike would need to be recovered to a BMW Motorrad dealer so planned ahead and called BMW Park Lane (from where the bike was purchased) to make them aware the bike had gone faulty and would be recovered to them for repair under the 24 month factory warranty. Spoke to someone on the phone from BMW Park Lane who told me I was not allowed to recover the bike to Park Lane ... as the workshop (which is not located at the showroom) would be closed as it was a Sunday. I politely explained this was not my problem, and that I would have the bike recovered to the showroom so they could transfer the bike to the workshop Monday morning. This fell into the "too difficult" box for BMW Park Lane and was told recovery to the showroom was not an option. Not good!!! Realising I was getting nowhere with BMW Park Lane, and as it was now approaching 4 pm, I decided to call BMW North Oxford to advise them of what had happened. They said that by the time the bike was recovered to them they would be shut, but advised to leave the bike outside their shutter so they could deal with the fault on Monday morning. To cut a very long story short ... once BMW North Oxford had investigated the fault, it transpired that one of the valves had snapped/broken. Not Good!!!!!! Realising as well as I did that this most likely caused untold damage to the cylinder, piston head, cams, etc. the first thing they suggested was a new engine. They submitted photos to BMW corporate who subsequently only authorised the broken valve replacement. Not Happy. After many weeks of complaining, emails, phone calls, explaining the story to someone new every time I called I got nowhere. Very Disappointed. Bike was repaired (in a loose term) , and was returned to me with very poor silicone sealing on the engine cover which they opened in the repair process, damage to the engine block, a scratch on the chassis, rattling engine, and down on power. Much more complaining, emails, explaining the story a hundred times, and phone calls, and was basically told to go away. Few weeks later, when the routine service was due, the engine service light came on. Having just had a valve change the oil, oil filter etc. had been changed so effectively had said service. North Oxford did not reset the service timer in the process. Doh!!! After all the drama I had already suffered I was annoyed to say the least, especially as it meant a 70+ mile round trip just to have a service light reset. Appreciating mistakes do happen, and phoning ahead, I made said 70+ mile round trip. When I got to BMW North Oxford I explained everything again. I was the told that they could not reset the service light as I needed an oil change, even though I was told over the phone it wouldn't be an issue. I politely explained that the oil service had just been carried out due to a valve replacement but they basically told me to go away and would not reset the service light unless I paid for another oil change. Thinking on my feet I told them that the valve work was carried out under warranty, so any follow up to this repair would also be under warranty!?! I politely asked to book my bike in for an oil change under warranty. The assistant then walked away, came back, and said "It's OK ... we'll reset the service light for you!" I couldn't believe what had just happened. When it came to me paying for an oil change they were adamant the oil needed changing, but when it came to them changing the oil at their expense, it was OK to reset the light. Unbelievable!!! To make matters even worse, all the work that should have been carried out under the service, namely a brake fluid change, was also not done. The bike had to be sent in AGAIN to have this work done. The latest drama is that since the work has been carried out, the bike still sounds rattly, feels down on power, and is now loosing coolant after every ride even though there are no coolant leaks. My Advice ...steer well clear of BMW. I will be. Disappointed doesn't even begin to cover how I feel.
Expensive bike, but comes loaded with most of the current goodies.
Comes loaded with goodies. Heated grips don't heat up as much as I would like or other systems previously used. Electronic suspension can't cope with pillion.

The below account is a condensed version ... I could easily write war and peace ... Expected so much from this bike, and BMW. Bought this bike new in 2015 from BMW Park Lane at a cost of nearly £12k. I have done the whole superbike thing having had Yamaha R1's, Kawasaki ZX-10R's etc. etc. and wanted to try a Supernaked for the road. After lots of research into what would keep me satisfied after having historically owned 200 bhp rockets nothing really sparked my interest until the BMW S1000R was launched due to the reputation of the S1000-RR which I had also test ridden. For the record ... the S1000R is fast ... but not in a scary way like a 1000cc superbike is. It leaves me a little underwhelmed ... however the handling is great due to the DDC set-up on the Sport version I purchased. The handling can be a bit dim-witted with a pillion on board as the electronic suspension can't seem to adapt to the extra weight ... not so good for a £12k supernaked which is designed with road in mind. But then it started to go really wrong. About a year into ownership (June 2016) whilst cruising on a motorway at 70 mph I heard a metallic rattle (I had ear defenders inserted into my ears so it must have been quite loud for me to hear the noise over motorway noise, wind noise, plus helmet on) and the bike lost almost all power. It was clear there was an engine fault as the bike also went from sounding like an inline-4 to a faulty V-Twin. Luckily the bike still ran rather than throw me off onto the road on a motorway with fast moving traffic, and I was able to pull over safely. I called BMW recovery and waited for recovery. Recovery took over 3 hours to arrive. What made the matter worse is that this was a Sunday approaching 3 p.m. I knew that the bike would need to be recovered to a BMW Motorrad dealer so planned ahead and called BMW Park Lane (from where the bike was purchased) to make them aware the bike had gone faulty and would be recovered to them for repair under the 24 month factory warranty. Spoke to someone on the phone from BMW Park Lane who told me I was not allowed to recover the bike to Park Lane ... as the workshop (which is not located at the showroom) would be closed as it was a Sunday. I politely explained this was not my problem, and that I would have the bike recovered to the showroom so they could transfer the bike to the workshop Monday morning. This fell into the "too difficult" box for BMW Park Lane and was told recovery to the showroom was not an option. Not good!!! Realising I was getting nowhere with BMW Park Lane, and as it was now approaching 4 pm, I decided to call BMW North Oxford to advise them of what had happened. They said that by the time the bike was recovered to them they would be shut, but advised to leave the bike outside their shutter so they could deal with the fault on Monday morning. To cut a very long story short ... once BMW North Oxford had investigated the fault, it transpired that a valve had snapped. Realising as well as I did that this most likely caused untold damage to the cylinder, piston head, cams, etc. the first thing they suggested was a new engine. They submitted photos to BMW corporate who subsequently only authorised the broken valve replacement. Not Happy. After many weeks of complaining, emails, phone calls, explaining the story to someone new every time I called I got nowhere. Very Disappointed. Bike was repaired (in a loose term) , and was returned to me with very poor silicone sealing on the engine cover which they opened in the repair process, damage to the engine block, a scratch on the chassis, rattling engine, and down on power. Much more complaining, emails, explaining the story a hundred times, and phone calls, and was basically told to go away. Few weeks later, when the routine service was due, the engine service light came on. Having just had a valve change the oil, oil filter etc. had been changed so effectively had said service. North Oxford did not reset the service timer in the process. Doh!!! After all the drama I had already suffered I was annoyed to say the least, especially as it meant a 70+ mile round trip just to have a service light reset. Appreciating mistakes do happen, and phoning ahead, I made said 70+ mile round trip. When I got to BMW North Oxford I explained everything again. I was the told that they could not reset the service light as I needed an oil change, even though I was told over the phone it wouldn't be an issue. I politely explained that the oil service had just been carried out due to a valve replacement but they basically told me to go away and would not reset the service light unless I paid for another oil change. Thinking on my feet I told them that the valve work was carried out under warranty, so any follow up to this repair would also be under warranty!?! I politely asked to book my bike in for an oil change under warranty. The assistant then walked away, came back, and said "It's OK ... we'll reset the service light for you!" I couldn't believe what had just happened. When it came to me paying for an oil change they were adamant the oil needed changing, but when it came to them changing the oil at their expense, it was OK to reset the light. Unbelievable!!! To make matters even worse, all the work that should have been carried out under the service, namely a brake fluid change, was also not done. The bike had to be sent in AGAIN to have this work done. The latest drama is that since the work has been carried out, the bike still sounds rattly, feels down on power, and is now loosing coolant after every ride even though there are no coolant leaks. My Advice ...steer well clear of BMW. I will be. Disappointed doesn't even begin to cover how I feel.

Traded in RR for R

29 April 2016 by David R

Traded in RR for new R. Wished I'd done it sooner. Feels quicker than RR while still in double digit speeds. Read more

Love the cruise control.

Simply fantastic!

12 November 2015 by scubaguyjoe

Cruise is a wonderful option and saves the wrists on those long jouneys Read more

Brakes are sharp and reassuringly good. They give confidence.
Smooth as you like
No problems as yet.
Surprisingly good on fuel when you ride sensible, average if you don't. But then who does?
All the toys you could wish for.

RicViperMoto a youtube channel

22 October 2015 by RicViperMoto

Worst Feature - hmmm.. none! Read more

Electronics package Superb! Never know its there.. Heated Grips and Cruise Control

Purchased from local BMW Dealer, Paid Retail, Hot Bike, Got em to throw in $300 Accessories

23 May 2015 by Sijtwin1000

A Great Naked

20 May 2015 by Supadave

Good engine, great brakes and handles really well - what more do you need a bike to do? Some of the components are not of the best quality and the lack of adjustment, on the clutch lever, is a pain. The £320 BMW wanted for replacement levers is a bit... Read more steep. The larger screen is a real help but I wouldn't bother with the replacement exhaust - the original sounds and looks Okay to me. I was looking for a sports bike with more comfort, to replace my old Fireblade and this bike fits the bill perfectly.

I have tried all the suspension setting on both the road and the track and find the semi active suspension pretty good. The brakes and handling are also very good and are complimented by the excellent tyres. It is not built for a pillion but I can ride it all morning without problems and would suggest for a solo rider, it is a bike that will do just about everything.
Engine revs quickly and accelerates ok. 160 bhp should be enough for most people and I have found it plenty fast enough for road and track riding. Picking up off a closed throttle is a bit slow and in some modes the throttle response is not very crisp.The engine spins up quickly and gives the impression that you are going faster than you actually are - but it is still good fun!
No real problems as yet but the quality of some of the components doesn't inspire me much.
I didn't do the first service so cannot comment, however I expect servicing a BMW will not come cheap. Also in Leicester we do not have a local BMW dealer, so time for travelling and petrol will also be factors.
I have the sport so it comes with all the electronics - whether you need them is another matter. The larger screen is worth the extra but I like the original exhaust so didn't buy the aftermarket replacement. It definitely needs an adjustable clutch lever, the original is a pain in the a**e.

Bought from Williams in Manchester and I have to say they were very good.

I love this bike!

14 May 2015 by Esceptico

This bike isn't perfect. The wing mirrors are pretty much useless above 5000 because of vibrations and it is a pain to get into neutral - it won't go in easily when you have stopped but likes to go in when you try selecting for second on the move! ... Read more The seat is not that comfy. The asymetric headlights are also an acquired taste. Other than that it is brilliant and all those minor niggles are forgotten when you open up the throttle. The handling is lovely: agile, lots of grip, great feedback and the ability to place it anywhere on the road. Around town it is really easy to ride, can sit happily on the motorway but best place for it is A and B roads. Once you open the throttle it flies. Lots of low down torque so overtaking is easy and hair-raising acceleration if you drop down or gear or two. Personally I love inline 4s. Smooth as butter at the bottom of the rev range but full of buzz and anger at the top.

Ride is very good with the active suspension and no complaints with the brakes. On the road I only need the one finger on the lever. Would like to do a track day at some point to really test the bike (as much as I am able with my limted ability).
Smooth and great throttle adjustability from tickover up to the limit.
Not had it long enough to give a proper rating. Exhaust looks a bit shabby after only just a few months of ownership. Everything else okay. One complaint is that the standard clutch is non-adjustable. Pretty poor on a £12k bike.
Not had it serviced yet. Costing me lots in fuel as I keep riding it! I'm not expecting that much distance out of the tyres either. Hopefully those will be the only consumables.
Mirrors vibrate above 5000 rpm so view behind is not great. Annoying that they are blurry at motorway speeds as that it when you really need them. Apart from the HP levers it is standard at the moment, although thinking of swapping to a more comfortable seat. Just about to put on Metzeler M7 RR tyres. Original DRCs were very good but the Metzelers have been recommended so will give them a try.

Bought from a main dealer. Was a demo bike. Seemed a fair deal.

If looks could kill..It wouldn't .

11 August 2014 by dmandhelen

Fantastic bike,without a doubt,but just looks totally anonymous.....hope it looks better in the flesh....? Read more

Year introduced 2014
Warranty term Two year unlimited mileage
1/4-mile acceleration -
Engine type 16v, inline-four
Frame type Twin-spar aluminium frame and double-sided swingarm
Fuel capacity 17.5 litres
Front suspension 48mm fully adjustable Sachs forks. DDC on Sport model
Rear suspension Single rear fully adjustable Sachs shock. DDC on Sport model
Front brake 2 x 320mm discs with Brembo four-piston radial calipers. Racing ABS
Rear brake 220mm single disc with single-piston caliper. Racing ABS.

2014 – BMW S1000R arrives in dealers (press launch Dec ’13)

BMW S1000R Sport – features semi-active DDC suspension, and more advanced electronics, including an extra two riding modes, cruise control, heated grips, bellypan, LED indicators and full traction control.