HONDA CB1000R (2008-on) Review

Published: 15 August 2008

"The only thing the CB1000R lacks is a bit of soul"

Honda CB1000R bike review action

"The only thing the CB1000R lacks is a bit of soul"

Forget the dinosaur CB1000 of the early nineties, or the now defunct 900 Hornet, the CB1000R is a whole new bag for Honda, designed with Europe, using a retuned version of the 2007 FireBlade engine and with 2008 FireBlade forks and brakes, a beautiful single-sided swingarm and fabbo styling. In fact the only thing the CB1000R lacks is a bit of soul and the noise you get from a Brutale or Speed Triple. But for ninety-nine per cent of the time it’s a better bike in every respect.

- Check out hondacb1000r.com for a forum chock-full of info, knowledge and advice on all things CB thou.

The Honda CB1000R’s suspension is softer than, say, the Triumph Speed Triple’s, but, for many give the perfect blend of feel and comfort. Most don’t want a bike that’s rock hard, just one that lets you know what the wheels are doing and one that doesn’t pitch around under power or braking. The Honda gets it bang on. It may lag behind rivals on track, but in the real world, where cops are hiding in trailers with speed guns, the roads get ever busier and the surface isn’t racetrack smooth the Honda CB1000R is a brilliant unfaired bike.

The Honda CB1000R uses a 2007 FireBlade unit that has been retuned for maximum torque and midrange. It’s similar to the CBF1000 engine but gives stronger performance. As such, 130bhp is plenty but it’s more about the torque and the way the power is delivered that impresses. It comes on clean and fat to the point where sixth gear will pull 30mph with no shakes just clean drive. That said it doesn’t howl or really get you excited. It has the looks of something really aggressive but it never really wants to kick off. In comparison to the Speed Triple it’s not quite as raw, but that makes it easier to ride than all its rivals.

Like with the equipment, the Honda CB1000R’s quality, like most Honda’s truth be told, is right up there with the best. Paint is thick and creamy, metal finishes excellent and the only slight doubt regards reliability, simply because the bike’s so new and proven.

At £6950 (£7450 with ABS) the Honda CB1000R is impressive value, especially considering its spec and the Honda badge, in the naked litre-bike category, undercutting the more basic Speed Triple and Tuono comfortably. Find a Honda CB1000R for sale.

Insurance group: 15 of 17 – compare motorcycle insurance quotes now.

The Honda CB1000R is a top quality bit of kit in every respect. The forks are taken from the 2008 FireBlade but feature different internals. Brakes are taken from the 2008 Blade, too, but use smaller 310mm discs, different master cylinder and brake lines. Flashy LCD clocks are, Honda claim, the most sophistated and expensive to produce they’re ever made and then there’s that stylish and clever single-side Pro-Arm rear end…

23 owners have reviewed their HONDA CB1000R (2008-on) and rated it in a number of areas. Read what they have to say and what they like and dislike about the bike below.

Review your HONDA CB1000R (2008-on)

06 February 2016 by Woody

My wife bought me this for my 50th total surprise, not really rode a motor cycle for since the kids came along 25 years years ago, now at 53 me and my Honda cb1000r are still love, as for the wife yes I love her to, if I could fault it at all like... Read more most in line fours it just lacks a bit of soul, having been brought up on old second hand triumphs BSA's a whole hoist of two stokes and few Italian Classic's I do now find myself thinking about a change, the problem is that everything I look at falls at the side of this great get it out the shed go for a blast animal that makes me grin and, at the of the day that is what most Blokes my age do. 2hours is quite enough to satisfy my Saturday Sunday time slot both days .12000 miles faultless fun hard pressed to beat one of these ,very easy to ride regards Mr wood chesterfield

Don't just go for the Blade, try the CB1000R!!!

03 November 2015 by Chimpeth

This really is 2 bikes in 1. At slow speeds through heavy traffic it is like a much smaller CC bike in it's easy going throttle, light clutch, comfort and agility. The gearbox is always silky whether filtering or at full throttle madness. Honda... Read more don't say if it has a slipper clutch but bang down the gears aggressively or blip on down shifts, it doesn't matter - the gears just slip in and the rear never locks up or shifts around. I love going through the gears at full wack on this thing! Pulls like a sports bike. The only thing I don't like are the are the stock mirrors, they are both too narrow and not in the style of the rest of the bike. Rizoma sorts this out!

I am 5'8 and 75kg. This is my main bike for commuting all year round but I also take it for a blast and do some touring on it. I find it very comfortable for all day riding and with an average sized fuel tank, stops are every 150 miles anyway. I never carry a pillion. For me the bike is best on sweeping country roads under full throttle. The acceleration out of corners and on the straights is all I need for the road, the handling, brakes and engine always inspire confidence to give it your best and try harder the next day.
Can't fault it. Loads of smooth controlled torque that seems to keep up with most other litre bikes on the road. To be honest this is my first Honda for 10 years (had a blade last) and I had forgotten how great these engines are. The clutch, fueling and engine are so that It is so easy to pull away from stopped that you can actually leave most bikes behind. It's funny to hear their supersport engines screaming to catch up! Just as happy to pootle about town or when taking in the views whilst in 5th and 6th almost like an auto box. Pulls form 30mph in 6th, no problem.
Well built and no reliability issues. Honda service/dealer very good too.
I am very fussy about the condition of my bikes and cars (it's also part of my job). I have everything checked and serviced regularly and my CB1000R is far from expensive to run. This will obviously depend on mileage and type of riding.
ALL BIKES SHOULD HAVE GEAR INDICATORS!! Why don't they? This bike needs one. I'm never sure if I am in 6th yet on the motorway. My next purchase will be a gear indicator. I have fitted the obligatory tail tidy, Rizoma mirrors and a short Puig rear mudguard. I also fitted heated grips which I love. I like the clocks, don't have any problems reading them ever. I like the stock pipes and so do my neighbours at 5AM. On Pilot Road 2 which are good all rounders. My Ducati has riding modes, more horses and traction control. I imagine this will get all that in the next upgrade to keep up with other brands but it is not necessary and should not put you off this great bike. Enjoy being fully in control of this well balanced bike.

Dealer. Got £800 off the asking price.

So much....

30 June 2012 by hondated

wanted to like this bike because to me it looks gorgeous and with the straight bars should be practical.However for and I must emphasis for me as I am sure many others don't I found it to be very uncomfortable. The problem I had was the magic... Read more triangle ie seat bars and pegs position.I felt that I was being pushed forward too much and even having had a gel pad placed in the seat I could not get comfortable.The end of the bars seemed to be looking upwards which also made it and I emphasis again for me uncomfortable and to make matters worse I seem to have brought one that had vibration through the bars which also made riding it a chore.The other issue I had was that the pegs seemed to be too high for me and after 50 miles my knees started to ache.It must be said though that I am a 61 year old man so that could be a big contributary factor in the issues that I had as well.On a positive note its a Honda so has Honda quality it looks gorgeous corners like a dream and the engine is a dream and even with a standard exhaust sounds brilliant.So in summary I would say if you are considering buying one don't be put off by any of my negative points as it may have been just me but do make sure that you have a good long test ride and also consider what you want the bike to do.Foolishly having brought it I thought about touring in France and I am sure you can do that in fact I know that you can but if you want to do that rather than mainly ride it local then get a GS etc or perhaps like me buy Tiger 1050

HONDA CB 1000R/2010

07 August 2011 by dannywest

The CB 1000R is a very good bike, out of the box... but with the correct tuning it is a really great bike. Take off all the extra weight, stock exhaust, de cat, rear pegs , tail light lump, etc , install a power commander 5 and a full akrapovic... Read more exhaust system and prepare to ROCK . Now you can feel its,true power actually about 114 to 120 bhp..and smooth,excellent handling and beautiful soundtrack ,plus now it is also about 15 kg, lighter,add some new Dunlop SportSmarts, and enjoy.!

Big Brother Hornet

17 March 2011 by maillotjaune7

I had a 2008 CB600FA for 2 years which had the CBR600 engine tuned for midrange. I loved that bike! BUT then I saw the CB1000R at the NEC and just thought WOW. It looks stunning with sharp slick lines. The single side swing arm is mint....I fell in... Read more love. I test road it and found it so easy to ride. The instrument panel is awesome, everything about it is class and stylish and up to date. I opted for the Sienna Red with Extreme graphics and also got a cracking deal from John at Hunts Honda Manchester. Got some extras with make it better too, under tray kit, R&G tail tide, 3D graphics, Hand fuel tank protector and some R&G crash bungs. The engine provides smooth acceleration, very quick off the mark, loads of torque. Its not for thrashing over 100mph because of the buffeting of wind buts its a smart commuter or Sunday blast around/show off bike.

A VERY GOOD BIKE

04 November 2010 by Anonymous

I first saw this bike at the bike show.Then I was down the local dealer when they were doing demo rides back in 2008.Did not take much notice and only had a demo on one this year.I had bike for one hour and rode it in town,country and on... Read more motorway.I found seat a bit hard but since I have sat on one which had the optional gel seat and that is far more comfy.I would go for non cbs/abs as it has better front brakes,less weight and less cables etc.The engine was great it had power where you want it .Power in the midrange off the throttle with out a flat spot with a very smooth engine.It got to 120mph quick and I done a top gear roll on from 70mph and it picked up well.combine this with low weight and the bike is quick to turn in .Very little wind protection though but it is a naked after all.But after market screens are avaliable. Good build quality and good accessories and very easy chain adjustment and you have one very good bike.The only thing I wish it had was a centre stand and a bigger headlight cowl like the fazer which I have ridden but found it revvy with power at top end.This is my favourite naked bike until I saw the kawasaki z1000sx on mcn and this looks very good as well.Honda is supposed to be updating the cb1000r for 2011 and I hope they get it right.

Power, Style & Handling

26 August 2010 by Carlosoul

Great around corners this bike is, you look and it turns, no effort needed at all, the low centre of gravity Honda has attempted really pays off. Power is great as the torque has been increased at the low end making it accelarate like a... Read more banshee. Style is wonderful, the looks you get say it all, I've had groups of people standing around it on ocassion (have had some mods though, but not many)

Brilliant Bike

27 July 2009 by thermick

This bike is the business as far as I am concerned. I am too old for the crouched riding position of sports bikes, with the CB1000R I can sit upright and go like the clappers. Things that put a smile on my face are the blistering acceleration, the... Read more incredible easy handling, good brakes, aggressive looks, good fuel economy (average over 10 miles per litre). My only complaint is that compared with my previous bike (CBF1000)the mirrors leave a big blind spot behind the rider where a following custodian of the law could hide. The engine is so smooth and the fuelling is spot on. The exhaust is fairly muted but then you do not need to be making a lot of noise in order to get a move on and I don't get complaints from my neighbours. If you are thinking of buying a CB1000R go and have a test ride and start smiling.

Pretty but Dull

29 April 2009 by EdsETV

Currently run a Tuono 1000R and liked the look of the new Honda CB1000R and decided to take a test ride. Glad I did as, whilst it looks good, has safe handling and good brakes, it feels gutless in comparison. I cannot believe it is 130horses and... Read more hopefully one of the mags will dyno its output. It may be unfair to judge it after a short ride but it lacks any knd of personality or emotional pull. Easygoing would be a good description but is not what this class of bikes is about. So no sale and I will wait until hopefully Aprilia do an RSV4 Tuono ;-)

Test ride first!

21 February 2009 by ipcress

Took this bike for a fast ride on A&B roads in dry conditions. Linear power delivery no top end rush, handling on A roads no problem however when pushed hard on a good surfaced, crested B road the limitations of its suspension became apparent. From... Read more airborne on landing the front end complains and the need for a steering damper is clear. Brakes, no complaints there. On balance a bit dull and when pushed hard shows its limitations. Sorry Honda need to try harder.

Year introduced 2008
Warranty term Two year unlimited mileage
Engine type Liquid-cooled DOHC 16 valve inline four cylinder. Fuel injection. Six gears.
Frame type Aluminium spine
Front suspension 43mm upside down front forks, fully adjustable
Rear suspension Single rear shock, fully adjustable
Front brake Twin 310mm front discs with four-piston calipers
Rear brake Single 256mm rear disc with dual-piston caliper

2008: Honda CB1000R launched.
2011: Honda offer CB1000RA [£9.375], CB1000R Extreme [£8,985] and CB1000RA Extreme [£9,575]

None.