HONDA CB1300S (2005-2013) Review

Published: 23 November 2006

"A competent tourer-cum-commuter that's a pleasure to ride"

Honda CB1300S motorcycle review - Riding

"A competent tourer-cum-commuter that's a pleasure to ride"

Classic early superbike lines crash head-on with a practical top fairing and an inexpensive ABS option to make the Honda CB1300S a competent tourer-cum-commuter that’s a pleasure to ride with above average handling, plenty of practical touches and a low seat height. Read any Honda CB1300S review and you'll find nothing but praise for the way the Honda CB1300S gets you from A to B with minimal fuss.

Watch video of this bike and more on MCN | TV

Heavier riders who like to ‘press on’ might find the Honda CB1300S's suspension running out of ideas quickly, but for the average rider the set-up works well. For a more relaxed ride the Honda CB1300S's bar riders can be rotated through 180-degrees to shift the bars forwards by 20mm. The Honda CB1300S's four-piston Nissin brakes are superb, with plenty of feel and power.

The Honda CB1300S's powerplant is based on the old CBR1000, this 16-valve, 1284cc DOHC motor feels unstressed and lazily powerful enough to get by on just the top two gears. The fuel-injection on the Honda CB1300S is smooth (smoother than the naked version thanks to an improved 32-bit processor just like the whiz-bang Honda CBR600RR) and snatch-free.

The Honda CB1300S is nicely built, with a stainless steel exhaust to help ward off the worst of the British winter. The Honda CB1300S paint’s thick, too, but keep the fork legs free of winter salt or they quickly develop a nasty case of psoriasis.

New or used the Honda CB1300S represents a whole lot of bike for your money. Secondhand Honda CB1300S prices are stable and owners tend to be considerate owners who pamper their machines. Find a Honda CB1300S for sale.

Insurance group: 14 of 17 – compare motorcycle insurance quotes now.

The Honda CB1300S clocks are amazingly comprehensive, with even a function to remind you of birthdays and anniversaries! A HISS ignition immobiliser can be backed up by an official Honda CB1300S U-lock and alarm. ABS is an inexpensive option for the Honda CB1300S at just £100.

36 owners have reviewed their HONDA CB1300S (2005-2013) and rated it in a number of areas. Read what they have to say and what they like and dislike about the bike below.

Review your HONDA CB1300S (2005-2013)

Not a show-off or fashionable bike, but a real lion that eats up all roads with dignity.

12 December 2017 by Hooman

A real lion that eats up all roads with dignity. I bought this bike because it's very compatible with my personality (except that I'm not a big buy). It has all the power available when you need it, but it's very humble and keeps his head down. Read more

As a sports-touring bike it has all the comfort you need for long rides. Once it starts moving (just above 2mph) you'll see how nicely it rolls on. Brakes are fantastic you the bike is quite nimble for its weight and long frame size.
Powerful, reliable, lots of torque, fast enough when you need it and most importantly the power delivery is very smooth and linear.
Bullet proof throughout. Has never let me down. I tour, commute in central London and ride in all roads. It's not a dirt bike, but I've ridden my bike in moderate mud and B roads. Very comfortable bike. I've recently had to replace the shocks after 45K due to small sign of wear and oil leak - Although a bit early, but it can happen and I wouldn't put it down as a systematic issue. Other than that, the exhaust pipes around down pipes get a bit rusty and could be difficult to take down. No particular problem really.
This really depends on how much and how you ride it. Relatively speaking (1300cc engine), this bike doesn't ask for much to do her job. Tyres last me for 15000 miles (Pilot Road 4), chain and sprockets: 25K, Oil and filter: every 8K (around £50 fully synthetic), pads: every 15K.
Has everything you need and simple enough for you to customise.

Got it from Honda Maidstone - £4800 - had 30K on the clock, one previous owner. For what you get out of bike of this class, the price is well worth it.

Great looking competent UJM bike with real class

11 December 2017 by Blue eyed biker

Brilliant overall Jack of all trades bike. I've done just about everything on this bike from Sunday blasts, multi day tours, commuting, gravel roads, and everything in between. This bike has taken it all in its stride and never been found wanting,... Read more even two up. Accelerates, goes, and stops brilliantly. Handles great - it's got lovely balance and tips in nicely, then holds a tight line through the bends. Not the quickest steering (since it's long and heavy) but still as good or better than other bikes of this size.

Ride quality is great. Brakes are good as they are, but mine needed some work so I upgraded to steel lines and new Galfer discs and pads and they're excellent now.
Lovely motor with tons of torque, but I'd love it if it sounded a bit better! Perfectly good for what it is, and plenty of power to get you into trouble if you want, but I would welcome a few more RPMs and some extra power to really get going.
No problems at all apart from usual routine maintenance that you would expect on a 12 year old bike.
Maintenance is easy and cheap on this bike.
Has the biggest under-seat storage compartment I've ever seen, can easily swallow mine and my wife's water proofs, along with her (small) handbag and a wooly jumper in case it gets cold. Big comfy seat, small storage pockets in the fairing and massive tank and range complete the package.

CB1300SA - 46.000 Km.

03 December 2017 by Hardy

Best: Smooth Engine, plush ride when you ride it like an old man. Worst: Heavy and as such, when pushing the bike, the suspension can't cope. Huge storage area under the seat and handy pocket in the fairing for sall stuff. Read more

For a big bike this size/weight brakes are adequate. The front does dive a lot under ferm braking. Ride quality is okayish...it feels a bit soft and I found that the CB1300 is very picky what the tire wear and brand is. Setting up the suspension to your riding style needs can be time consuming.
smooth.... 1st can sometimes be clunky. I switched to 10w50 Full Synth (i.o. 10w40 half synth). It's somewhat less now. Engine could use a 6th gear, kinda like a super overdrive, since the engine can take it easily. Newer models do have it.
Honda quality except for the downpipes that stain very quickly. It has 46.000 Km. on the clock whithout any issues.
Running costs are low since I do maintenance myself. If you do not use Honda pattern/original parts you can keep the cost even lower. Acces to the engine is easy apart from removing the plastic fairing
I installed Honda original heated grips and jiffy stand. Jiffy stand makes lubing the chain a treat.

Bought the bike privately. Did a lot of research before buying and came to the conclusion that you really can't go wrong with this bike when it was well maintained.

Amazing CB 1300 SuperFour!

26 October 2017 by Paul Holbrecht

One of the greatest bikes I've ever owned, smooth power & shove in any gear! It has the 'classic' CB looks but with modern tech-touch, does everything I'd ever expect from a big super four. A dream to ride! Read more

There's one weak point: I'm a tall person and the rider's seat is a bit too low for me + after a while I'm always gliding forward against the gastank.
After my first 1500 kilometers (had 25900 km. when I bought the bike), not any problem so far.
A small flyscreen was on my naked, but I already ordered an 'Bikini Cowl' with Endurance screen from Japan.

I bought it used but in mint condition, very well maintained from a bike mechanic who occasionally buys & sells some bikes too.

Great bike! Good looks, very reliable. Enjoying every minute riding it.

19 May 2016 by Vince CB1300S

Great bike; handles well; enough power and looks good. Very reliable; no issues whatsoever. Maybe that's the only issue there are no real down sides and therefore lacking a bit of character. I would love to have this bike with a 1300cc twin engine! Read more

It's no racing bike but it handles & brackes could enough to keep up with all the dearing boys (&girls) on the road! Wheelies, no problem...
Smooth, lots of torque, good mid range. Feels like it could produce much more HP's with a little tuning. Missing the 6th gear.
No issues whatsoever.
Only standard maintenance cost such as: Tyres; brackin pads; fluids & filters.
It's a basic naked bike; just the way it's supposed to be & just the way I like it. No bells and wisles. Enough space under the buddy seat and two small hatches for wallet and disc lock which are actually quite handy.

Bought my bike privately in 2015 in the Netherlands for €3,750. Which was a good rate; these bikes easily sell for €4,500-6,000.

Old gits joy.

23 September 2015 by Bertie Blight

Large comfy cruiser that can keep up with more sports orientated bikes when needed. it is so much fun on B roads but be prepared to hustle the bike around as she is a large beast. I have taken her over the mountain course so many times and rarely get... Read more left behind unless I am behind some serious sports freak.

Brakes could be better and you do need to use both front and rear together. It is so easy to ride with loads of grunt when needed. I always feel it would benefit from a sixth gear to improve the fuel consumption. Gear indicator would prove useful as I am always looking for a sixth gear on motorways.
Does what it say's on the tin! good on fuel when cruising bit pretty poor when blasting over the mountain section of the Isle of Man. So easy to ride it will surprise you and for a big beast she does handle.
Rear shocks did not last long but I do most of my riding two-up. I now have Ohlins fitted to the rear and Ohlins upgrade to the front forks and it is so much better. Larger screen fitted which helps on the motorway. Nothing has ever gone wrong with the bike in the seven years I've had it from new. Always serviced annually.
I get around 45 miles to the gallon in normal riding conditions but it does drop to high 30's on the motorway. the bike loves to stay in the lower gears for country lanes when you will have soooooo much fun.
The engine and looks are great if you are a seventy's biker boy like me, brought up on two strokes but have been converted. Running Avon's at the moment which seem to suit the bike well. I brought after market Hepco and Becker top box and panniers. The bike is like driving a bus with them fitted! Poor choice but loads of carrying capacity. I must love her as she is still in my garage.

Brought the bike back in June 2007 from a dealer. Paid £6500 after getting a ridiculously good price for my old VN1500 (that was a heap of rubbish) First trip was through Wales during the summer floods of 2007. You certainly get a feel for a bike in such conditions. It is a good buy.

2006 Honda cb1300s

01 September 2013 by mattearn

I've lusted after one of these for years until I found a mint low mileage one at my local dealer. They say you should never meet your heroes for fear of being disappointed. They whoever they are couldn't have got it more wrong. Suspension takes a... Read more little careful setting up but once sorted it handles like a dream. Just make sure the front is set soft enough to get the front tyre warm. The torque is immense so much so you can short shift your way through the gears surfing the torque curve or you can wring its neck and it tries to dislocate your arms. Absolutely amazing two up even with the givi rack added to make carrying the wife's things and give her some security from going flying off the back! Bottom line is get one and you will not be disappointed.

superb at everything

18 March 2010 by rockabillyone

I bought my 1300s in june 09 and have now covered 3650 miles on it,it has all the power i'll ever need ,it is superbly built and the fit and finish is fantastic, it's supremely comfortable for all day riding and i get 53 on average to the... Read more gallon,loading the bike with pillion and/or luggage makes no difference to it at all,the handling for such a large bike is perfect with good brakes and easy as you like at u turns or mini roundabouts, the most rider friendly bike i have owned in many years of biking, its now four and a half years old and it still shines like a new pin, go on get one you know you want too :-)

Cb1300 Brutal

13 March 2010 by PaulOz

Bought a CB1300 from Marshalls in Peterborough last May .As I live in Spain I had great run back through France, not a drop of oil was lost or coolant the bike never missed a beat. As the misses was with me I expected bent ears about comfort but no I... Read more had a satisfied passenger for the whole trip. I cannot fault the bike at all. Brutal low down pulling power, handles great for me and to be honest is far more comfortable than these new sportstourers which are now being produced. were does your passenger sit on a VFR. Oh yes, that small seat pad on the mudguard !!!.

The Test of Time

17 February 2010 by Tbone4623

Ok Im the first to admit it, when I first bought the bike after a week or so of running it in I thought what have I done! Although I have always loved the look of the bike I bought it based on that really as felt I couldnt keep ignoring it dispite... Read more being only 30ish(Young Im told for this sort of bike!) First few rides I was struck at how long it took me to stop and the sheer bulk of the bike with feet down at lights on slight hills!I thought this is going to be a big lasy cart horse you fool. Well 2 years later it is the best bike I have owned in every aspect Quality, Reliabilty& fun. It has given me the most smile per pound of any bike I have owned as when your open it up, it just pulls and pulls and the brakes are ace once you learn to pull hard they work a treat. I have so much confidence on this bike now I will happily run with the big boys and guess who's bike they all want a shot off at coffee stops! If your the sort that get's off on sports bikes that bite back, look else where or if like me you just learn to ride harder and live longer this fabulous machine does it all in good time!

Year introduced 2005
Year discontinued 2013
Original price £11,199
Engine type 16v, in-line four, 5 gears
Frame type Steel cradle
Front suspension Compression, rebound
Rear suspension Preload
Front brake Twin 310mm discs

2003: Naked Honda CB1300 introduced.
2004: Faired Honda CB1300S version launched.
2007: Now with ABS as standard.
2011: Honda offer CB1300A [£8,290] and CB1300SA [£10,850]

Honda CB1300: Naked version.

• Honda CB1300S motorcycle review - Side view