HONDA CBF1000 (2006-2009) Review

Published: 23 November 2006

"One of the unsung heroes of modern motorcycling"

Honda CBF1000 motorcycle review - Riding

"One of the unsung heroes of modern motorcycling"

Honda CBF1000: Nice legs, shame about the boat race… The big Honda CBF1000 is one of the unsung heroes of modern motorcycling. Detuned Blade engine, fabulously easy handling and throttle response and great ergonomics make the Honda CBF1000 hooningly enjoyable, yet novice friendly and a great value all-rounder. It's just a shame the Honda CBF1000 looks so dull.

Knife through butter stuff. Hondas are often smooth and sweet but the silky Honda CBF1000 takes it to another level. Ride and comfort on the Honda CBF1000 is sublime, and despite seemingly ‘budget grade’ suspension and brakes, handling is precise and with a quality feel too. Sports bike riders will be impressed with the Honda CBF1000's ride.

06 Fireblade engine is reworked for added midrange (at the expense of top end power) and the result - as demonstrated in the Honda CBF1000 is a blast. The Honda CBF1000 is idiot-proof, flexible, glitch-free, delivers exactly where you want it yet is still 140mph potent if you want it to be.

The Honda CBF1000's suspension, wheels etc may not be cutting edge sportsbike fare and the frame ‘just’ a steel spine type (that alloy side cover is a fake) but it’s all bolted together and finished to Honda’s usual high standards. Nor are there any reliability issues so far with the Honda CBF1000 and, with the engine being a detuned version of the Blade’s, are there likely to be?

Whichever way you look at it the Honda CBF1000 is a helluva lot of bike for the money. Great superbike derived engine, fine chassis, excellent rider comforts and superb practicality and versatility, all for unbder £6K makes for an almost unbeatable deal. Being a Honda, The Honda CBF1000's residuals should be better than most, too. Find a Honda CBF1000 for sale.

Insurance group: 14 of 17 – compare motorcycle insurance quotes now.

It may be under £6K new, but the Honda CBF1000 isn’t lacking. There’s comprehensive instrumentation, an adjustable seat and levers, decent half fairing and ABS and luggage kit are available as optional extras if you want to turn your Honda CBF1000 into a real tourer.

36 owners have reviewed their HONDA CBF1000 (2006-2009) and rated it in a number of areas. Read what they have to say and what they like and dislike about the bike below.

Review your HONDA CBF1000 (2006-2009)

CBF1000A

06 January 2017 by Craig Dawes

Cannot fault my bike, does everything it is supposed to in all weathers. I bought it as a commuter and what a fantastic piece of kit.

Everything about this bike has a quality feel. Have never been let down. Just keep clean and serviced as per schedule
Would say a little heavy on fuel consumption but used to have 750 and now 1000 so guess that was a little down side to growing up! Would have been handy to have a little larger fuel tank so could get from Manchester to London without having to stop.
Think I would have preferred a temperature gauge as well as fuel. Guess that would after the upgrade in 2009 when the digital display was used.

03 February 2016 by Matt

Great torquey engine, pulls really quickly even in higher gear, had a vfr 750 and a tiger 955i before but just love the biffer, does everything I want in comfort and no aches or pains, had the bike nearly a year not used daily but ticks all the boxes for me,i thought it would be quite heavy but not really noticeable with the sit up and beg bars, defo a keeper can't see any other bike on my wishlist for a good few years

Mark 1 Biffers are a total bargain!

30 October 2015 by TheHoodedClaw

Great all-rounder slightly spoilt by the dodgy electrics. I use mine for work, day trips and touring. It's very useful, very practical, easy to ride and great fun (it's a motorbike after all). At worst, it's a bit clinical, bland or maybe just a bit too grown-up for a big kid like me.

Off-roading aside, I think this bike is a true all-rounder. It's just as at home on motorways as it is in Snowdonia and just about small enough for filtering in town. I can ride it comfortably all day, the riding position is very neutral, but for fast motorway riding I find myself lying down the tank to get out of the wind even with a touring screen.
This is easily the bikes best feature. Loads of torque and incredibly smooth delivery right across the rev range. I love the noise it makes but this is obviously personal. More power than I'll ever need and goes faster than I ever dare, even on the autobahn.
My Biffer has never left me stranded. The oem stator failed at about 24k miles - this is an all too common fault! Luckily, I was close to home rather than half way across Europe or, worse still, in the fast lane of the motorway. I replaced it myself with an Electrex one which was about £115. It was an easy job (even for a novice like me) and has been running fine up to now. My reg/rec is still the original one as far as I know. The frame is starting to rust by the rear wheel but there is no hugger. Steering head bearings needed doing at 28k miles.
I service my bike so this is a bit irrelevant. It depends how much you ride it and at what intervals you change the oil/tyres! I've changed my oil and filter every 4k miles so about three times a year. Brake pads and tyres as needed. I use PR4s, which are not cheap but I get about 8k miles from a rear and 10 fom a front. The narrow rear tyre means that you can't get the touring version and the standard tends to square-off pretty quickly two-up with luggage on straight runs.
Centre stand is useful. Standard screen is a bit naff. Lack of a temperature guage seems odd but never overheating has been an issue. I've fitted Oxford heated grips, Givi top box/panniers, MRA touring screen, fender extender, 12v socket under the seat. All good but not sure how much better the screen is?

Mark 1 Biffers are a total bargain. I bought mine from a dealer for £3,500, 5 years old with only 8k miles on the clock. The hiked-up price of the later model seems hard to justify and I prefer the two exhausts to that massive single one. Both models look pretty ugly so I try not to think about it! Half the price, more versatile and not as ugly as a Gisser.

29 October 2015 by johnkearney

56K and still going strong

07 October 2015 by andyinvienna

Excellent bike, loves the mountains in Austria, there is no straw that would break this camels back on long tours, just plodding about on an Autumn day or Blasting down the Autobahn, I can not think of a bike to replace it. So I am going to get something else for a different style of riding and keep the CBF.

Seat can be a bit ache at times, Brakes are more than capable, changed the suspension for Wilbur’s as I am 100kg and with me and the missus plus luggage I needed a bit more, but the original was OK,
Still pulls like a train, love the low down torque
Alternator burned out at 30km, nothing else has gone wrong, now has 56km
Once out of the Warranty, do my own servicing and nothing has gone wrong, passes it inspections every time
Mirrors caused some buffering so change for handle bar mounted mirrors, the head light is for day time use only. Some of the wiring chafes against the frame, little corrosion on the swing arm, Clock's could be better. these ar only grumbles and do not affect the overall ride.

dealer, ex demo.

Good bike - CBF 1000

15 July 2015 by Alan Marsh

Yes I would recommend the CBF to a friend, (I have done this). One issue with the seat is that when you raise the rider seat it leaves a gap behind the tank, the seat base is then too flexible. Max gross load is 430 Ibs, which is insufficient.

Handles very well. Needs to cater for more weight.
Fast enough for me thank you.
Mine is fine but there are stories of failing stators and reg/recs. Fit a volt monitor (£ 15) so you know whats going on.
Nothing needed doing so far.
Would like a temperature gauge.

I purchased second hand from a dealer and am very happy.

motor ok/ electrics not so good

15 July 2015 by Sandman

Will not buy another cbf1000

very good for touring but reg/rect let me down spain and waiting to get on train for Calais.
84000 miles 2nd reg/rect, 3rd alternator stator. Honda paid for 2nd one.
Do most of it myself. Dealers do valves very hard to get too
taller screen, scottoiler

Bought new

cant stop smiling

17 June 2013 by evo172

only had the bike 10 days but every day i been out on her, i love it, ive had five bikes in the last 3 years on a persuit to find the perfect bike for me, and now i think ive found it. i use the cbf for commuting, leasure and im hoping to do some touring in the uk to start with and then beyond, love the power and torque on this bike and the total ease it can overtake in 6th gear and i can go down to 20mph two up with luggage on and still pull away cleanly , getting about 175miles per tank full and been giving it beans most of the time, very comfortable riding position and is a ultra smooth ride the engine is simply sublime. its definately a wolf in sheeps clothing, ive had a ninja zx6r, ffollowed by a vfr 800 followed by a st955i sprint then a vstrom 650, this is best bike of them all, no regrets whatsoever in getting it , its a keeper

Great bike

28 January 2012 by peppi1130

I have just recently purchased an 06 low mile 1 owner abs model .Cosmetically its got the usual few corroded bolts but overall its in good nick .The bike suits me because its low seat height and comfortable ergonomics allow me to ride pain free ( i have a back injury and a dodgy leg lol) Personally i did not find it to feel or behave like a heavy bike even when moving in slow traffic in town. On the open road it felt very light and flickable and the nice torque curve with faultless fuelling made it fun and interesting to ride .In the real world its got more than enough power .its fitted with pilots which are my favourite rubber and they really suit this bike .I had some fun trying the abs out and i must admit i am a convert .The suspension seams to be well suited to my locally very bad road surfaces ,but i have yet to put this to the test with the mrs and full luggage . The mrs loves the bike for passenger comfort and leg position .The head lights are a bit on the weak side so a hid conversion is on the cards .I actually feel it ticks most of the boxes and i think it will even do a track day or two .

Excellent All-rounder

27 May 2010 by RockytheDog

Bought the GT version and have put over 3000 miles on in 6 weeks. The GT looks better than the stock bike and adds practicality with panniers and a full fairing for about £800 more. Engine is smooth and pulls like a steam train. Fuel consumption has averaged 48 despite regularly using all the engine has to offer. Did 600 miles in a day riding to the NW 200 and found the whole journey totally painless using a mix of motorway and fast A and B roads. Handles much better than the previous K7 Bandit 1250 that I had and the comfort and practicality is much better (there is space to store things under the seat and the seat is so comfortable). Also the Top box does not intrude on the pillion seat as per the bandit and the fuel consumption is much better - I get almost another 35 miles out of the same size 19 litre tank. Only criticism is that the Bandit has a slightly more sporty riding position which I preferred. However, the CBF 1000 is the much better machine overall - it's also indecently quick on A roads - feeling much more planted allowing you to change line effortlessly mid corner. Linked ABS is superb and not intrusive at all. In sum - test ride one for at least 50 miles and you will be very tempted if not sold. I looked at the BMW R1200 GS (slow and vibey), Bandit 1250 GT (not as polished overall), Kawasaki 1400 GT (too heavy and frankly overpriced) and as a bike for everyday use and long distance touring the CBF 1000 GT stood head and shoulders above all of them. 3400 miles later I still think I made the right decision - now go look yourself with an open mind.

Test-ride

26 April 2010 by Retiredbiker

The reviews are really good and I was recommended to ride it. The mistake I made was to ride it straight after a CBR1000RR Fireblade because that quality experience shows up the CBF and I got off thinking that I am not ready for the pipe and slippers. The ride comfort at slower speeds doesn't match the Blade in fact it feels cheap and the front wheel feels unconnected to the rest of the bike. I am tall (6'2") and got a lot of wind blast above 50 mph. The clocks are tiny and really difficult to read. The handling is fine but I didn't feel connected to the bike. The engine is good as you would expect but the gearbox could be slicker. The CBF is heavy when stationary and at walking speed. it feels like a kit of parts compared to the Blade and is just not involving enough for me. It's just not my cup of tea.

Try it you may be surprised

04 April 2010 by rustyrig

Not had the bike too long but did own the 600 for a while, now moved on to the 1000, have enjoyed every minute so far, easy to ride, enough power, great seating position, could do with a slightly bigger screen. really it's so much better than the 600

Give it a chance

14 February 2010 by Anonymous

I have had many bike in the past and this bike puts so many ticks in the right boxs. I have to agree with MCN this is not a good looking bike and Honda could have done more with the design. However as I say give it a chance, this bike fits all, me 5"8 and my mate 6"4, fits all, the pegs are at the right angle not too high not to low and the seat is so comfy. Although this bike feels heavy once on the move you can throw this bike around like the mother-in-law, my bike came with pilot fitted, they feel great in all weather`s The power delivery keeps this bike from feeling dull sometimes you ride slow because traffic tells you so and the cb1000f is just fabulous around town. When you have the opportunity to open up she will go smoothly without the mad panic on the gearbox to get there. Magic. give it a chance.

you've just gotta try this

12 January 2010 by Gorau

I LIVE IN NORTH WALES AND THIS BABY IS KING OF THE BENDS (BEST ON PILOT TYRES). A JOY TO RIDE OFF DUAL CARRIAGEWAYS BUT NOT TOO FLASH. FORGIVING ENOUGH FOR A FIRST BIG BIKE YET A LOT OF FUN FOR SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING. AN AIRHAWK SEAT LETS ME COVER 300+ MILES A DAY. PERFECT BIKE FOR THE GUY RETURNING TO BIKING AFTER SOME YEARS OFF THEM.

cbf1000 wobble & vibes

29 August 2009 by OZZYJULES

GREAT BIKE, BUT MY BIKE HAS A WOBBLE WHEN YOU SHUT OFF THE THROTTLE FROM 90/100 KPH & ALSO WHILE 40 MINUTES OF RIDING AT CRUISING SPEED MY HAND'S ARE NUMB, HONDA THIS IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH. !! HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THESE 2 PROBLEM,S ? IF SO WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO TO FIX THEM. THIS IS HONDA'S ANSWER TO MY PROBLEM'S.... We can advise that all "in-line" 4 cylinder motorcycles will exhibit a small amount of engine vibrations throughout the bike. it is not uncommon for these vibrations to become more noticeable to the rider over a long trip when travelling at a constant speed. SO THAT'S IT FROM HONDA, I HAVE TO PUT UP WITH IT.

Very good all rounder

27 July 2009 by thermick

I did 7000 miles in the year that I had one. It was very reliable, with good all round performance. Loads of bottom end grunt made overtaking quick and safe without having to play tunes on the gearbox. I don't agree with MCN's fuel consumption figures I was constantly getting more than 11 miles per litre which gives a potential near 200 miles from the 18 litre tank. I found the weight a bit intimidating when moving the bike around by hand but did not notice the weight when on the move, in fact the handling is very light and easy. Up till now this has been the best bike that I have ever owned. A look at the CBF1000 (Biffer) web site will show you just how contented with this model owners are.

The best for the price

14 July 2009 by JodiSte

The CBF 1000 is definatly one of the best big bikes for the money. Real fun to drive, enough power to feel good and so easy to handle. Well done Honda

10 September 2008 by bellstaffe

Terrific bike. The handling is confidence inspiring and the brakes are as the MCN testers say they are. I tested the ABS for real and it works! I haven't had the problems that cardoc has had except that I think it does vibrate more than I'd like above 5,000 rpm (80mph)but I can live with it and have cruised it at three figure speeds. Acceleration is fantastic. From 2,000 rpm you are slungshot forwards right on up to whatever speed you want to lose your licence at. It is easy to ride in traffic with glitch free fueling and smooth controls. Given the power delivery, it is a Fazer and Bandit beater. I have done 3k on mine and it returns 45-50mpg so that's a comfortable 150-175 miles on a tankful before it runs into reserve. It's a pity you have to haggle for a hugger (it's only a bloody mudguard after all) but I think they look handsome, especially in Pearl Siena Red. The bottom line for me was that I could have had a 4 year old BMW 1150 Adventure for the price of this one new but the acceleration didn't even begin to compare. I think it's the best £6,500 worth of new big bike on the market.

10 September 2008 by bellstaffe

excellent machine

17 August 2008 by sheepsteeth

now i'm not some fancy MCN bike tester, but i can tell you if you had any doubts about buying a cbf1000 then get them out your head now. commute, tour or track it can do it all. for what honda call a budget sports tourer this is a awesome machine that will do anything you ask of it and more. it does not feel in anyway like a budget bike and the finish quality is high and when your on this bike it will fill you with confidence. the cbf1000 is responsive,has loads of good old pulling torque,it handles great and is very comfortable to ride. i've been in its saddle for 9hours in one sitting and had no problems, but maybe thats just cause i'm not an old arthritis ridden fatty maybe. for 6000 quid new you will not be able to buy any other bike that will compare. the bike feels stable all the time even at it top end of 150 although windblast is obviously high at that speed. my cbf100 has ABS and the brakes are excellent you will never feel out of control. the bike has loads of low rev pull so you havent got to rev the nuts of it to get the bike to repond. as a result is silky smooth at under thirty which alot of bike arent. and if you want to take the revs upto the red line just hold on tight. for a big bike its great for slow speed manovers, i can do u turns and figure of 8s on this bike just as if it was my old little 125. and as for MCN reveiwers statement "shame about the boat race", madness utter madness, the cbf100 looks great. these fancy reviewers have been spoilt and are forgeting what real bikers use bike for which is everyday use. they are not impressed unless a bike looks like the new cb1000r. if you still have doubts about this bike then test ride one an see for youself

CBF 1000 near perfect everyday bike

26 June 2008 by Duff one

CBF 1000 can be scratched down A and B roads, riden to work every day all year round, take a tour and it still looks new after some cleaning. It is so much more useful than a sports bike, no stiff neck or wrist. Yet it still goes well and handles ok. It has loads of extras to make it into a tourer but with better handling and acceleration than most touring bikes. A good all rounder thats to dull.

Better than I had hoped for

04 March 2008 by colinamarsh

I had been looking forward to getting this bike for sometime. Now that I have it I havent been disapointed.You can take it from 30mph right up to 150 [ at a good rate of knots] without a gear change. Handling is good,front forks not that great but it is a budget bike. A fun bike to ride and so far no vibs or rattles and the handlebars are fitted correctly. I seem to be getting about 50mpg which i think is pretty good. All in all a damn good bike.

CBF1000 DULL!

20 July 2007 by cardoc

Made a mistake buying this one, it is pretty dull, in my opinion so don't take it personaly owners,engine vibration is horrid, handling is ok but front end is not very planted and weaves in fast corners and also on the motorway,fairing is noisey rattles all over prob due to the vibes, the well documented handlebars out of line even if Honda deny it and dealer not interested. The CBS doesn't seem balanced or suited to this bike but it maybe that I'm used to the dual CBS, anyway I couldn't get on with it. The motor runs really hot and you end up with roasted knees from the cooling fan in traffic. There is a horrible fueling clitch from cold upto 4k rpm which can catch you out.I have owned loads of Hondas over the last 15 years but, Honda, sorry you got this one wrong!

17 June 2007 by Steveoid

Took the new CBF1000 abs out for its first run (collected it yesterday) and was pleasantly surprised at how well this bike handled in the city and country. Plenty of power just when needed and the cornering and suspension are terrific. The handle bar is slightly off so will be getting my dealer to rectify this problem, but not 20mm. Why have Honda allowed this small defect to go through their quality control I will never know. The bike seems to run true and the defect is only small but after Blackcat pointed this out it was the first thing I looked for when riding the bike. The seating position is very comfortable and can be changed to suite individual leg sizes. The half fairing is at its maximum height and really works well for me being 5’ 10 ½ “so no problems there. Hope to get some good mileage out of this bike during the summer weather permitting.

CBF1000 - steering fault

25 April 2007 by blackcat

Took delivery of my new CBF1000...noticed immediately that the handlebars are not true ( out by about 20mm as if turning right) Steering dead straight..and looking on other website www.cbf1000.com this is a MAJOR problem Honda seem to be ignoring. Back to my dealer to have it sorted ( hopefully). Other than that, seems a brilliant bike :-)

Had this about a month after 2.5 years on a Harley Sportster, it is very different....

09 October 2006 by davideve

Everything on this bike is good so far, it corners it accelerates as much as I could ever need, in black it even looks good. The price is about right and so far I get about 170 to a tank of petrol. Nice to have a fuel guage at last, why do they still make bikes without them in 2006?? It was a tough choice beween this and the new Bandit 1200 what did it for me was the Fireblade Engine ( even de-tuned it's a bit quick ). Strengths: Comfort, acceleration, cornering, cost, it's a Honda!! Weaknesses: The ABS model comes with a centre stand but on the basic model this would be an expensive extra. No heated grips, no hugger and the screen is too small for a 6 footer ( so a new Givi screen is on order ) nothing else so far.

Its a bargain, but is it worth a grand more than a bandit?

04 September 2006 by timsim

Loved my yam FZ6 but useless for two up touring. Needed a bike with a desent seat, bit of grunt and good all round value. Test rode the CBF1000 but the sums didn't add up. When compared with a 1200 k6 bandit, similar spec but a grand cheaper. More money left over for accessories. Come on MCN lets a have a head to head between the bandit and cbf! Strengths: All round versatility. Its a cbf600 with a bigger engine. Weaknesses: No hugger! Not that great value when you look at the competition. I bet Hond discount them in a few months.

Ideal big bike for shorties!

04 September 2006 by diathebouy

400 hundred miles done since delivery, on vally uphill and down dale 'A' roads in south wales and motorways. Only one niggle it don't like running about 4 thou' revs, this could be a running in problem. Strengths: Who needs a gearbox. Weaknesses: Haven't found one yet.

Great, does everything I want (I've got simple tastes!)

16 August 2006 by Round

2000 miles in 7 weeks and I love it, but who said it was comfortable. It outperforms my BMWR1100RS in every dept. except comfort. Why pay £10000 for a tourer when with panniers, top box, hugger scottoiler. This will do everything and give 55 mpg!
Strengths: Speed, handling, economy, flexibility. Weaknesses:  Pillion comfort, after the BM my wife finds the Honda a pain after an hour, and who needs 6 gears with this kind of flexibility?

Excellent Sports-Tourer!! Can't be beaten at the price.

11 August 2006 by MadDogMcQ

47yr old Male, riding since 1976. I was comfortable and confident on this bike from the MOMENT I SAT ON IT! It is incredibly easy to ride - so much so that I believe Riding Schools should use these things! The bike has an amazing amount of low-down grunt, making town work and twisties an absolute joy. Wring its neck though and boy, it flies too. The generous amounts of torque from this engine make it a brilliant bike to go touring on. I've bought the 35Ltr colour-coded panniers and they don't spoil the look of the bike at all - in fact, they enhance it. I've also fitted a hugger, fenda-extenda, higher screen, seat cowl, knuckle visors, Autocomm and TomTomRider. Its the "complete" all-round bike. ORANGE IS THE FASTEST COLOUR :-). Strengths: Huge amount of torque. ABS Brakes. Honda reliability. Proven engine. Great handling. Versatility. Amazing low price. Weaknesses: Seat feels hard after a few miles. Finish perhaps not as good as Jap-built Hondas.

Miles to date 6600, 8000 service looming soon!

30 July 2006 by Ladyboyz

So far mostly so good. A few minor niggles but that is probably down to my job as a bike instructor. I made the right choice in buying the Orange, so now the bike is called Tango! Changed the mirrors to CB1300S for a wider view as I am a large chap, and added a top box for storage. Heated grips are a bit pricy but worth the money. Hugger is on order, but it should have been included, what was Honda thinking? Overall I am quite pleased. Strengths: The engine is a blinder!! Get to 5,000rpm in any gear with a handfull, and she flies! Warp speed Scotty! Handles very well considering the wheelbase and tyres, brakes are superb. Even with extreem provocation I have yet to be able to set off the rear ABS. The front activates ok and works well. Major fun league bike. Weaknesses: I have found a major hickup. When riding at constant slow speed in rain, water accumulates somewhere behind the radiator. When you then stop, the front of the bike dissapears into a sauna, and steams everything up! I can't find out why/where this is happening. Can anyone help? p.s. handle ladyboyz is for my dogs, not me!!!

Picked bike up 5/5/06, (silver, its all the dealer could get)

14 July 2006 by zrx808

1600 miles so far. No storage so I added a top box (keeps the missus in place). Bought hugger, fenda extenda, taller givi screen. Prior to this I had a Kawasaki zrx1200s but the cbf easily beats it in all departments, its smooth power delivery is just where you want it on a "real world" bike, handling, brakes, comfort, everything is so spot on. Only one slight niggle, the top yolk appears to be twisted to the right (dealer said it will be sorted...still waiting!!). Strengths: Handling comfort ease of use, complete usable package. Weaknesses: None realy, but why pay £6300 PLUS have to shell out for hugger and fenda extenda.

Silver. Picked up 20/4/06. 300 miles so far .Like riding a very fast armchair.

08 May 2006 by kcidybom

Didn't particularly want silver, but it is apparently the only colour currently in the country. My 47 year old knees/back could no longer fit comfortably on my Firestorm for my commuting mileage, so I was looking for something with a more "old man" riding position. I'm really pleased with it. Honda have done an excellent retuning job on the Fireblade engine and all the poke is just where I want it - low down. I find myself negotiating roundabouts in 4th gear only to find when I go to change up that I was actually in 6th. Just stick it in top and off you go. Visibility and manoeuvrability are excellent compared to previous sports bikes, lock to lock steering is no problem at low speeds and is great for commuting into Central London. I predict this bike will become the "old gits stealth weapon of choice" over the next year. Strengths: Comfort, visibility, low speed handling, torque, readily available performance. Weaknesses: £6,300 and NO HUGGER, on a bike that has it's suspension totally exposed to the rear wheel. Honda should be ashamed. I'm getting a bit of vibration from somewhere under hard acceleration - haven't worked out what it is yet.

The Bike of the Year?

15 April 2006 by gempip

What a bike! comfortable riding position, loads of grunt for that overtaking decision, and smart looking (in silver) and well put together. Strengths: Honda manufacture, Comfortable riding position, Looks, Bags of low down power for that overtaking decision. Weaknesses: As it is new yet, nothing particular, but it should have come with a rear hugger as the fluid cylinders are exposed to bad weather and maybe the screen could have been a little higher and a fender extender to protect the cooler which is very exposed.

I took delivery of a silver cbf 1000 abs on 21/03/06

04 April 2006 by kwguy

I have just done a 340 mile ride out to Norfolk from Nottingham, to get some mileage in, ready for the first service. My previous bikes have been sports 600s and a blackbird, but for the last 5 years, since losing the blackbird in a big way, a totally different but cracking cb 500 . The cb 1000 is to be my weekend bike and my mount for Scotland at Easter. The first ride was not at all intimidating, given a 5000 rev limit by the dealer, it pulls just like the blackbird at low revs. It is smooth and the 5 thou' equates to around 80 mph in 6th gear,  just right for the dual carriage ways and motor ways (just for overtaking of course). The ride quality, after riding the cb 500 is superb! It is as if all the roads have just been resurfaced. The handling and road holding feels a little vague, after the 500, as I am acustomed to feeling every bone jarring bump and pothole, but you quickly get used to it . ABS brakes are powerful and smooth, riding position is great for this 57yr old. Strengths: Comfort, low down torque, versatility, accesories. Weaknesses: None as yet.

The CBF 1000 is the bike I have been waiting for! It has performance, balance and low end grunt!

04 April 2006 by b0ldknight

I have tested loads of bikes before settling on the CBF 1000. I was looking for a jack of all trades and found the perfect bike for me. I commute, the bike happily poodles around town. At weekends, it's Blat time. Chasing my mates hornet round the lanes, the bike shows its full potential. Loads of low end torque means the 100 bhp is really usable in all situations. Pick up is very good. I love the stability of the bike through the corners, and slow control is fantastic due to the bikes superb balance. I have done my first thousand miles and so far I cannot fault the bike. Strengths: Great balance, usable power, good brakes, great sound. Weaknesses:
Slight vibes at higher revs and fuel tank only good for 130ish before you drop into reserve.

Year introduced 2006
Frame type Steel tube spine
Front suspension None
Rear suspension Preload
Front brake 2 x 296mm discs

2006: Honda CBF1000 launched, available in black, blue, green, silver or orange.

Honda CBF1000A: ABS-equipped version of the Honda CBF1000 at a new retail price of £500 extra.

• Honda CBF1000 motorcycle review - Engine