HONDA NC750X (2014-on) Review

Published: 21 March 2014

As friendly and non-threatening as a motorcycle can possibly be, despite the adventure bike-esque styling

HONDA NC750X  (2014-on)

• New: £6,299
    Used: £4,000 to £7,100 See all HONDA NC750Xs for sale

Riding the NC for any length of time reveals a bike that handles sweetly, brakes more than adequately, is comfortable, tackles scabby back roads well and, with the addition of the DCT gearbox, is easy to ride and super economical in terms of fuel use. There’s a lot to like. If, however, you want a bike that will be the sort of machine you will always give a second glance to as you walk away, or spend time looking at and aching to ride, then the NC is not going to be the one for you.

The NC is as friendly and non-threatening as a motorcycle can possibly be, despite the adventure bike-esque styling. There is plenty of room on board and the low seat height makes touching the floor very easy, which is ideal for less confident riders. The ABS is reassuring when the road’s surface is wet or badly damaged and the NC’s handling is stable and comfortable and turns sweetly into corners. It’s unlikely to throw up any nasty surprises, making it perfect for newer riders. The DCT adds to the over-all feeling of control and is a worthy addition.

Thanks to a 4mm bigger bore, the NC700 becomes the NC750 for 2014. Peak power is increased 54bhp and the torque is boosted to 50lbft while the engine also gains a second balancer shaft which, Honda claims, halves the amount of mechanical vibration. It’s instantly noticeable how much better the low end of the NC750 is and the parallel twin is also considerably smoother than before. The updated DCT is far more responsive at low speed when compared to the older version and makes for brilliant low speed control.

The build quality is superb and the NC range has a reputation for reliability.

It’s not the cheapest middleweight, but it is very frugal to run.

ABS comes as standard and the dummy tank has a storage area

13 owners have reviewed their HONDA NC750X (2014-on) and rated it in a number of areas. Read what they have to say and what they like and dislike about the bike below.

Review your HONDA NC750X (2014-on)

great all-round bike. I would definitely recommend.

13 April 2016 by Bazinga

Pros: handles very well. very easy to ride. although the bike is heavy (~240kg) the weight is very low and for this reason I find it lighter than my previous Honda Hornet 600cc (~170kg). I love the very smooth DCT gear box and the selection of Drive,... Read more Sport and Manual modes. Cons: I wish there were 10-20bhp more. I would definitely recommend it, unless you need something very powerful, in which case you should get a different bike. The reason I changed from Honda Hornet to NC was that Hornet had 100bhp and 13k rpms that I never used. NC is also more economical. I do get around 70mpg out of town and 50-60mpg in the city.

Breaks are great. ride quality quite comfortable. I prefer sitting position on NC rather than laying position on other bikes. Because of my lower back problem I can only ride for about an hour before I feel any discomfort, but with my Airhawk seat I can do extra hour or two without break. It is a very decent all-round bike except heavy traffic in the centre of London. Sometimes it's too wide to squeeze through small gaps between cars (something that scooters do).
I like the low end torque and power delivered (even for such a heavy bike) although extra 10 or 20 bhp would be nice. 3rd and 4th gears are the best. DCT gearbox is very smooth although in slow heavy traffic I use Manual mode when filtering as bike tend to do too many bear changes between 1 and 2.
I've had it for 2 years now. No corrosion so far. Build quality is great. It has never let me down so far. Within 17k miles done so far I've only replaced tires (once) and chain and sprockets.
Honda servicing always tend to be higher then other makes. 500miles and 8k miles services were about £200 each. My last 16k miles service was £350, but I did look at other non-Honda garages that quoted between £300-500 for the same job. non-dct is a bit cheaper as there is 1 filter less to change. In the end I did use Honda in Romford (great service, I would recommend) as Honda in Ruislip and Chiswick were more expensive and reviews not that great. Other than servicing and extra mods I have not replaced anything. MOT is a bit high. 600cc and less are much cheaper. insurance is fine. not too expensive but not very cheap either. This year it cost me ~£350.
I really like the helmet storage, which I tend to use for all other stuff (tools, waterproof clothes, gloves, etc) as I do also have a top box used for my helmet. I also like the ABS as standard.

bought new from chiswick Honda. 0% interest. I did get heated grips free of charge.

09 April 2016 by lucho

Best features: easy to drive, amazing fuel efficiency, good looking, comfy, practical luggage compartment, perfect low-rev behavior. Worst features: plastic covers are annoying. There is no "window' for monitoring the oil level which makes the oil... Read more check painful, rev-limiter is brutal

Quite comfy for short and medium length rides. My single ride is usually about 70km and I feel good and relaxed on it. Maybe the side-stand could be more sturdy. Breaks are perfectly adequate.
Extreme fuel economy, quite, really excellent low-rev manners. The bike feels at home at low revs.
The overall built quality seems to be quite satisfactory. Except for the plastic covers which are... well... too plastic. The windshield is mostly useless but is sexy :-) No signs of rust so far, no oil consumption, breakdowns, etc. As a whole a reliable machine (1.5 years, 6K on the clock).
Excellent fuel economy! Almost unbelievable. My average fuel consumption in the countryside is about 3.3l/100km.
The "fake" tank is a great idea. Although at gas stations I usually always spill over some gasoline upon the bike due to the inconvenient tank cap location. Has 2 trip meters, average and total fuel consumption, clock, the monitor is very well lit up. ABS as a standard, immobilizer (HISS), etc.Nothing is missing for the average user.

22 October 2015 by Alan

I was riding the Honda ST1100 for about 15 years before switching to the NC750X. Both bikes are hard to fault; but I welcome the change to a lighter machine. Before, I had to set my Garmin Zumo to avoid unpaved roads, now with the NC I had disabled... Read more that avoidance feature on my GPS.

27 September 2015 by Tony

Less weight . Bigger fuel tank . Read more

A bike that works

13 September 2015 by Will Shields

Do you use your bike, primarily, or pose on it? If the former, this is the bike for you. Supreme utility, both in traffic and on the open road. Economical, powerful enough (I rarely miss the once-a-month licence-threatening blast of power from my... Read more previous super bike), comfortable and effortless to ride.

Took a month or two to finally accept that the bike was actually happy chugging along at such slow revs

How hard can it be to include an air temperature gauge?

Very pleased return rider

22 July 2015 by Cledwyn Williams

excellent build, easy and comfortable ride and very fuel efficient. I find the "fake fuel tank" vey useful, an excellent idea since I not a great fan of panniers. I would recommend this bike to any rider apart from a speed freak, although I am more... Read more than pleased with speeds I have attained with plenty to spare.

A decent all round bike. I recently went for 60 miles without a break and I have had knee replacement surgery
The bike does everything I ask of it. Easy to ride, comfortable and being a "cobby " bike handles corners well and has good balance.
The bike is a typical Honda, well built, to date it has not let me down once.
Fuel running costs are very low and I am very pleased with that. My insurance costs are for comprehensive insurance are £88 per annum
I like the choice of either a manual or automatic gearbox. It has a comfortable riding position and the "fake petrol tank" is an excellent idea. I am not a fan of panniers.

I purchased the bike from Colwyn Bay Motorcycles who are Honda dealers. I am glad that I did because I had some trepidation about thee automatic gearbox. The dealers were very professional and put me at ease, they took considerable trouble in ensuring that I was happy with riding the bike before letting me loose on the road. This added to the enjoyment of the bike. As part of the deal they added free of charge very useful hand warmers, centre stand and reduced the seat height for me. I paid slightly less than the advertised price, which was an added bonus. The ladies that dealt with my purchase were very knowledgeable, and pleasant- and oh yes very pretty which is always a bonus!!

18 July 2015 by Paul

A nice middleweight bike. Feels good quality, and it's nice to ride. Not super-powerful but quick enough for the real world. Very practical for commuting etc but probably not exciting enough for everyone. It has an undeserved reputation for being... Read more a bit dull - it holds its own against the comparable bikes from the competition (e.g. Versys 650). On the whole I am very pleased.

I find the seat a bit uncomfortable on longer journeys and the screen could do with being a bit bigger. There is quite a big gap between fifth and sixth gears - in my mind the engine never really feels entirely comfortable in sixth gear - it feels as though it struggles to pull a bit. Brakes are effective but nothing to write home about but the bike comes with ABS which is nice to have. The seat is a reasonable height.
A decent turn of speed. Not super quick but quick enough in the real world especially 0-60. It runs out of puff a bit beyond say 75mph. If the rev-limiter kicks in it can take you by surprise however - you feel an instant loss of power which is very unwelcome. The vibration from the engine is very well damped for a twin - much better than the Versys 650 which I test rode. The engine doesn't sound particularly meaty however.
Nothing gone wrong so far but it's early days. It had a recall for a potential problem with the lock on the storage compartment. A little plastic grommet thingy that was supposed to keep the little compartment closed at the bottom of the storage compartment has given up the ghost but it isn't a big issue. It seems well built generally and there is no sign of corrosion so far.
I'm not riding especially efficiently - mostly I ride 7 miles to work and back through traffic so I doubt the engine has much chance to warm up. Even so I am getting just under 15 miles per litre. That has got to be worth something in the running cost stakes for a bike with a 750cc engine.
There's the well known storage space in the fake petrol tank which is very handy - you can get a full face helmet in there or a full carrier bag of shopping. It's got a gear indicator, clock and fuel gauge but it doesn't come loaded with goodies - but that's not surprising at this price point. There are plenty of after market accessories available. The fuel tank could do with being a couple of litres bigger - you need to fill up after about 140 miles (it goes onto the last bar on the fuel gauge by then) - with a couple of extra litres capacity you could go an extra 30 miles or so before having to fill up.

Not a head turner - but generates more love from me as it's so reliable, economical and USEFUL

04 July 2015 by Medlife Crisis

Would definitely recommend. I was a newer rider so bought this as frequently described as ideal for the less experienced, but having now tried (and owned) a few more bikes, I don't think it should be limited to the novice audience, it holds it own in... Read more many fields. Mine is the standard manual, not DCT, and I've got nothing but praise. It's economical even when ridden flat out and has not had any reliability issues whatsoever. The storage 'frunk' is a fantastic feature meaning I can take my locks, gloves, balaclava anywhere without thinking and am always prepared if the weather changes. Plus I can do a fairly decent-sized grocery shop on the way home without needing a bag or spoiling the look with a top box. I use it daily to commute 66 miles each way and it's comfortable, cheap, and forgiving in all conditions. I've also gone touring and found it genuinely superb for this purpose. I've not given 5/5 overall as I think it should come with a better screen, I changed it for a better one fairly easily though. And perhaps I've got to accept it's not the most exciting bike in the world, it doesn't rev high (you will hit the limiter now and again) and is a bit sluggish but in reality, who needs to do >100mph? Maybe you could call it a Volvo estate of bikes: reliable, easy to drive/ride, more storage than others and kind on the wallet. But also sensible. What I've done is use this as my daily rider and bought a second hand CBR for weekend fun.

Pillion rider has no complaints either.
At this price range, it's got all you need. And the storage tank is brilliant.

29 June 2015 by Joaquim Primo

Is this the most practical bike on the road?

19 May 2015 by Mark2

A bike that does everything well, you can ride this at full tilt without worrying about having a massive high speed accident/loss of license. A quality bike, capable handling in all weathers, good build quality and amazingly economical - 90+ mpg is... Read more easily achievable. Good service intervals at 8,000 miles but Honda dealer servicing is a bit pricy.

Suspension is cheap and can be choppy at speed over bad roads, but it's never too bad. Brakes are good although ABS on the rear cuts in often as the back brake feels a bit wooden.
Smooth, lazy and relaxing. Even if you want to press on and rev it to the limiter it never feels stressed. It can be a bit snatchy below 2,000 revs but this is true of most twins. Mirrors, pegs and bars remain vibration free at all revs.
In over 28,000 miles in the first year nothing has failed or stopped working, not even a bulb! Oil consumption is nil, all you ever need to do is get on it and go. It does show a few signs of wear, with some rust on disks and bolts but having been used throughout the winter and living outside, what would you expect? Paintwork and chrome still looks good.
After 28,000 miles in the first year it's still on the original chain/sprockets and brake pads. Tyres last 10-12,000 miles (rear) and 12-14,000 miles on the front. Honda servicing is expensive, but it does keep the warranty up should you ever need it. Best economy achieved has been 104mpg, worst 54mpg but normal consumption is 85-90mpg on my normal commute to work.
Love the tank under the pillion seat, which gives a big storage space where the tank usually is. I've got a centre stand, Givi tall screen, heated grips, Bark-buster Hand Guards, hugger and fender extender fitted which add to the bikes practicality.

Bought new from a main dealer on PCP offer that Honda do. £1300 deposit,£99 a month for 3 years and a £1500 final payment makes it an affordable package.

Year introduced 2014
Warranty term Two year unlimited mileage
Insurance group -
Front brake 1x320mm discs. Two-piston caliper ABS
Rear brake 1x240mm disc, Single-piston caliper ABS
Front tyre size 120/70ZR17
Rear tyre size 160/60ZR17

The NC700 was launched in 2012 in S, X and Integra format.

Adding Honda’s duel clutch costs £600 while the Integra scooter is £7799.

• HONDA NC750X  (2014-on)