HONDA NC750X (2014-on) Review

Published: 21 March 2014

As friendly and non-threatening as a motorcycle can possibly be, despite the adventure bike-esque styling

HONDA NC750X  (2014-on)

• New: £6,299
    Used: £3,800 to £9,600 See all HONDA NC750Xs for sale

Riding the NC for any length of time reveals a bike that handles sweetly, brakes more than adequately, is comfortable, tackles scabby back roads well and, with the addition of the DCT gearbox, is easy to ride and super economical in terms of fuel use. There’s a lot to like. If, however, you want a bike that will be the sort of machine you will always give a second glance to as you walk away, or spend time looking at and aching to ride, then the NC is not going to be the one for you.

The NC is as friendly and non-threatening as a motorcycle can possibly be, despite the adventure bike-esque styling. There is plenty of room on board and the low seat height makes touching the floor very easy, which is ideal for less confident riders. The ABS is reassuring when the road’s surface is wet or badly damaged and the NC’s handling is stable and comfortable and turns sweetly into corners. It’s unlikely to throw up any nasty surprises, making it perfect for newer riders. The DCT adds to the over-all feeling of control and is a worthy addition.

Thanks to a 4mm bigger bore, the NC700 becomes the NC750 for 2014. Peak power is increased 54bhp and the torque is boosted to 50lbft while the engine also gains a second balancer shaft which, Honda claims, halves the amount of mechanical vibration. It’s instantly noticeable how much better the low end of the NC750 is and the parallel twin is also considerably smoother than before. The updated DCT is far more responsive at low speed when compared to the older version and makes for brilliant low speed control.

The build quality is superb and the NC range has a reputation for reliability.

It’s not the cheapest middleweight, but it is very frugal to run.

ABS comes as standard and the dummy tank has a storage area

19 owners have reviewed their HONDA NC750X (2014-on) and rated it in a number of areas. Read what they have to say and what they like and dislike about the bike below.

Review your HONDA NC750X (2014-on)

Mixed Feelings.

29 June 2017 by Griff

I own a number of collectible bikes and I bought this bike new to use for a 75 mile round trip commute through South London to Westminster. In every respect this bike does everything I ask of it. The tires have a dodgy reputation, but as I ride more... Read more sedately than most I have not had a problem, though they are a bit hard in the sidewalls. The only real worry I have is that after the first 300 miles the bike has developed a worrying tendency to jump out of gear (3 times so far). This was under half power acceleration (on a bike that produces a lot less power than my ZX-12). As I intend to ride this bike for the next 3 years, covering a lot of miles, this is a major concern and I am speaking to Honda about it.

The bike rides really well through town traffic (filtering) and motorway cruising is fine up 90, though I tend to stick to 70-75. The turbulence over the screen is an issue, particularly when following high vehicles. The brakes are pretty good, and the ABS in the rain can be a life saver, particularly when some divvi pulls out suddenly.
Aside from the gearbox concerns, the engine delivers what is was designed to do. A useful plodder.
The finish on the wheels looks a bit ropey, otherwise very good. Too early to tell on long term issues.
150 quid for a first service to change oil and filter and a quick look over?... come on, you must be joking!
I never thought I would see the day when Honda would regard a center-stand as an accessory, and a need to offer a replacement screen (for £140) to replace one that is clearly inadequate for most people!...

I bought this bike from Hunts of Manchester, the purchase and delivery was fine. It was when I got pulled by an ANPR unit in London that things got ugly. I was suspected of stealing a bike and using false plates. It turns out that when Hunts originally confirmed the index number to me, I arranged the insurance, the contract papers with Honda were all finalised - all on the the wrong number plate, hence the reason I was pulled. The reg number actually belonged to a Honda 125cc bike. I only noticed when I re-checked the V5 (it was one letter out). I was effectively riding a bike without insurance. Hunts gave a me a one line e-mail apology and a plate in the post - which arrived too late as I needed to satisfy the Police to stave off prosecution. Buy from Hunts again?.. not likely...

18 May 2017 by Kevin Healey

I’ve been riding bikes for some 50 years now. All sorts, from a C50 to a super sports GSXR and most in between. I did the ego trip e.g. ‘my bike is faster than yours’ and went faster than some and not as fast as others. I did the daily commute, the... Read more long distance commute, the weekend trip and the tour. Me and bikes have a history. I love bikes, love biking, if it has two wheels and an engine, I want a go. My last bike, a Triumph Sprint ST, was great fun to own, fast, great handling and touring comfort, but I found myself mostly riding it at about legal speeds on the road, even on tour – not Europe, I’m now in NZ – and spent most of my riding holding it back. Though it was a really good bike, it didn’t somehow fit with me – there I was with a quick bike which actually, unless I went on a track day, had a potential I would never use… So, taken by a sudden inspiration of practicality, I bought a bike which would fit the environment I rode in, an NC750X. Yes I know all the journalists opinions, that this is a bike you wouldn’t take seriously, after all, it only has 54hp. True, but it produces the hp at much lower rev/min than virtually all other bikes, so has a decent gob full of torque. If the rider can tune their ears to not associate screaming engine noise with rapid progress, but to relate throttle position to progress on the road, then this bike is well capable of touring – apart from autobahns of course – commuting and if you wish, of licence threatening speeds. If you continuously hit the rev limiter, you’re missing the point of this bike. It’s handing is ok, it doesn’t turn in sweetly, you need to look further ahead and adjust accordingly, but once you have that sorted, you can scrub the edges from your tyres. It’s not super sports, but it’s fun, getting the most from your bike. The suspension as standard is good, hit bumps in mid corner and there’s no problem, no wallowing, it copes admirably. I don’t quite believe I’m going to write this, but it does what it says on the tin. If you want an all-rounder bike which is economic, durable, reliable and one you can ride anywhere you want to go, even gravel roads, get a Honda NC750X. Done a couple of thousand k’s on it now and find I ride it much more than I did the Sprint. I think I may own this bike for some time.

The seat is a plank - buy an aftermarket one.
So far

Mr Bean could make a skit about this bike.

04 March 2017 by Bike mike 67

Heavy slowcoach made for the low in testoserone. Read more

Way too heavy - try and push that mother ! Sure the weight is low-too low Ive never owned a bike with such strange handling. the weight is all low down - handles differently to any motorcycle i have owned. May suit a car driver
Must be the worst motorcycle engine ever made.Will prob last for 5 decades as it makes no power. This is the most unfun bike ever! BIkes need to rev for fun. No revs =no fun. Take the engine out and use it for an anchor and put in a engine that goes zoom zoom and revs to at least 8000 rpm and makes power from 4 to 8K. If doing lots of km per litre turns you on then this is the machine for you. Switch the engine off and coast down hill -it will do even more km per litre.
Probably last forever as few will actually ride it much.
too early to say
Best feature is that it looks pretty damn good (apart from the beak) so just leave it parked on your drive but don't bother riding it. Beak should be removable for riders with good taste .

The dealer was happy to take my cash.

NC750X

16 July 2016 by ride red

forks need re valving
lovely low reving torqey motor
fantastic bike
excellent storage

top bananna

30 May 2016 by Hazzzzer

Great commuter bike. Read more

Brakes are adequate but not great, handling is brilliant as the weight is low down in the bike, suspension is budget quality you can feel most of the dumps in the road.
Not powerful, very forgiving sport bike, but it's spot on for commuting can overtake if you drop it down a peg or two, very low revving bike took me a couple of weeks to get used to, red line at 6200 rpm I change up between 2-3k unless I want to ride more spirited, 6th gear is more like a overdrive gear.
Change the Dunlop tyres as soon as possible, they generate too much noise, changed my ones at 1200 miles for pr4 have only needed to adjust the chain once in 6000 mile but I clean and lobe it every week. (200miles)
Getting 75mpg, bike is used for commuting to work only
Could do with a air temp gauge but at this price what it has is good enough, the fake petrol storage tank is brilliant, it can carry all my stuff for work and means I don't need a top box and rack so I save about £300. Change the screen std one does nothing it keep wind off.

J S Geages Honda in Pevensey bay (unashamed plug) help me sort the finance, got a fair deal on my trade in and an excellent deal on aftermarket parts I wanted on the bike with free fitting, get new boots, trousers, neck tube and Honda hooded for next to nothing.

NC = Nice Cycle

24 May 2016 by brian

Would recommend to anyone who loves to just ride for the sake of riding, best features are in my opinion the engine, abs, storage & economy, and let's not forget the fantastic exhaust note from the Akrapovic with the baffle removed, this thing just... Read more rides itself, i just sit there with a grin from ear to ear, the only downside are the forks as they struggle to absorb small undulations, will be getting them re valved, the rear abs is so svelte, the thing backs into corners on damp or wet roads with such predictable control, (found that out by mistake) & we all make mistakes, but got the feel for it now, "famous last words" aaaa-crunch, but hope not. complements my cbr300r perfectly.

Have done 140 miles non stop so far & was ready for a rest, may get gel insert in seat but not a complaint, the most expensive tourers become a pain in the backside after 150 miles non stop, can't really say when it's at it's best, i think it kicks ass round town, also love it on the country lanes which will improve when i get forks re valved, it's also great to travel on.
All torque & no action, drives out of corners lovely, there's more to motorcycling than 190bhp @ 12000rpm & 0 - 190mph & back to standstill faster than you can get the coffin lid screwed on. Getting 69 - 84 mpg so far, not revved it past 4000rpm yet apart from little tiny bursts her & there, don't want them bores glazing, won't be giving it the full berries until way past 1000 miles.
Have given top marks here but have to admit i've only had the bike 3 weeks, but in my experience it's a honda & i only buy honda, have owned well over 100 bikes in the last 35 yrs & out of all the different brands honda has the edge over everything else out there when it comes to build quality, attention to detail & paint finish & lasting durability.
Next service due at 1 yr or 8k whichever comes first, valve check not due until 16k so should be a cheap bike to live with.
Love the dummy tank storage, have fitted a front fenda extenda, rad guard & hugger to follow, when i can find the brands that look right, do buy the titanium road legal Akrapovic & remove the baffle (still stays road legal) but the tone is much much deeper, standard can sucks,

Dealer, traded my mint 99 CBR1000FX that had only 10000 miles on it, loved the old CBR apart from dreadful linked brakes & the fact it was a boring bike to ride unless you were doing 120 plus, dealer gave me £1500 for it against the nc, got it on 0%pcp with a £200 fuel card thrown in, couldn't resist, got a centre stand & Akrapovic at a fantastic price.

great all-round bike. I would definitely recommend.

13 April 2016 by Bazinga

Pros: handles very well. very easy to ride. although the bike is heavy (~240kg) the weight is very low and for this reason I find it lighter than my previous Honda Hornet 600cc (~170kg). I love the very smooth DCT gear box and the selection of Drive,... Read more Sport and Manual modes. Cons: I wish there were 10-20bhp more. I would definitely recommend it, unless you need something very powerful, in which case you should get a different bike. The reason I changed from Honda Hornet to NC was that Hornet had 100bhp and 13k rpms that I never used. NC is also more economical. I do get around 70mpg out of town and 50-60mpg in the city.

Breaks are great. ride quality quite comfortable. I prefer sitting position on NC rather than laying position on other bikes. Because of my lower back problem I can only ride for about an hour before I feel any discomfort, but with my Airhawk seat I can do extra hour or two without break. It is a very decent all-round bike except heavy traffic in the centre of London. Sometimes it's too wide to squeeze through small gaps between cars (something that scooters do).
I like the low end torque and power delivered (even for such a heavy bike) although extra 10 or 20 bhp would be nice. 3rd and 4th gears are the best. DCT gearbox is very smooth although in slow heavy traffic I use Manual mode when filtering as bike tend to do too many bear changes between 1 and 2.
I've had it for 2 years now. No corrosion so far. Build quality is great. It has never let me down so far. Within 17k miles done so far I've only replaced tires (once) and chain and sprockets.
Honda servicing always tend to be higher then other makes. 500miles and 8k miles services were about £200 each. My last 16k miles service was £350, but I did look at other non-Honda garages that quoted between £300-500 for the same job. non-dct is a bit cheaper as there is 1 filter less to change. In the end I did use Honda in Romford (great service, I would recommend) as Honda in Ruislip and Chiswick were more expensive and reviews not that great. Other than servicing and extra mods I have not replaced anything. MOT is a bit high. 600cc and less are much cheaper. insurance is fine. not too expensive but not very cheap either. This year it cost me ~£350.
I really like the helmet storage, which I tend to use for all other stuff (tools, waterproof clothes, gloves, etc) as I do also have a top box used for my helmet. I also like the ABS as standard.

bought new from chiswick Honda. 0% interest. I did get heated grips free of charge.

09 April 2016 by lucho

Best features: easy to drive, amazing fuel efficiency, good looking, comfy, practical luggage compartment, perfect low-rev behavior. Worst features: plastic covers are annoying. There is no "window' for monitoring the oil level which makes the oil... Read more check painful, rev-limiter is brutal

Quite comfy for short and medium length rides. My single ride is usually about 70km and I feel good and relaxed on it. Maybe the side-stand could be more sturdy. Breaks are perfectly adequate.
Extreme fuel economy, quite, really excellent low-rev manners. The bike feels at home at low revs.
The overall built quality seems to be quite satisfactory. Except for the plastic covers which are... well... too plastic. The windshield is mostly useless but is sexy :-) No signs of rust so far, no oil consumption, breakdowns, etc. As a whole a reliable machine (1.5 years, 6K on the clock).
Excellent fuel economy! Almost unbelievable. My average fuel consumption in the countryside is about 3.3l/100km.
The "fake" tank is a great idea. Although at gas stations I usually always spill over some gasoline upon the bike due to the inconvenient tank cap location. Has 2 trip meters, average and total fuel consumption, clock, the monitor is very well lit up. ABS as a standard, immobilizer (HISS), etc.Nothing is missing for the average user.

22 October 2015 by Alan

I was riding the Honda ST1100 for about 15 years before switching to the NC750X. Both bikes are hard to fault; but I welcome the change to a lighter machine. Before, I had to set my Garmin Zumo to avoid unpaved roads, now with the NC I had disabled... Read more that avoidance feature on my GPS.

27 September 2015 by Tony

Less weight . Bigger fuel tank . Read more

Year introduced 2014
Warranty term Two year unlimited mileage
Insurance group -
Front brake 1x320mm discs. Two-piston caliper ABS
Rear brake 1x240mm disc, Single-piston caliper ABS
Front tyre size 120/70ZR17
Rear tyre size 160/60ZR17

The NC700 was launched in 2012 in S, X and Integra format.

Adding Honda’s duel clutch costs £600 while the Integra scooter is £7799.

• HONDA NC750X  (2014-on)