HONDA NC750X (2014-on) Review

Published: 21 March 2014

As friendly and non-threatening as a motorcycle can possibly be, despite the adventure bike-esque styling

HONDA NC750X  (2014-on)

• New: £6,299
    Used: £4,000 to £7,500 See all HONDA NC750Xs for sale

Riding the NC for any length of time reveals a bike that handles sweetly, brakes more than adequately, is comfortable, tackles scabby back roads well and, with the addition of the DCT gearbox, is easy to ride and super economical in terms of fuel use. There’s a lot to like. If, however, you want a bike that will be the sort of machine you will always give a second glance to as you walk away, or spend time looking at and aching to ride, then the NC is not going to be the one for you.

The NC is as friendly and non-threatening as a motorcycle can possibly be, despite the adventure bike-esque styling. There is plenty of room on board and the low seat height makes touching the floor very easy, which is ideal for less confident riders. The ABS is reassuring when the road’s surface is wet or badly damaged and the NC’s handling is stable and comfortable and turns sweetly into corners. It’s unlikely to throw up any nasty surprises, making it perfect for newer riders. The DCT adds to the over-all feeling of control and is a worthy addition.

Thanks to a 4mm bigger bore, the NC700 becomes the NC750 for 2014. Peak power is increased 54bhp and the torque is boosted to 50lbft while the engine also gains a second balancer shaft which, Honda claims, halves the amount of mechanical vibration. It’s instantly noticeable how much better the low end of the NC750 is and the parallel twin is also considerably smoother than before. The updated DCT is far more responsive at low speed when compared to the older version and makes for brilliant low speed control.

The build quality is superb and the NC range has a reputation for reliability.

It’s not the cheapest middleweight, but it is very frugal to run.

ABS comes as standard and the dummy tank has a storage area

21 owners have reviewed their HONDA NC750X (2014-on) and rated it in a number of areas. Read what they have to say and what they like and dislike about the bike below.

Review your HONDA NC750X (2014-on)

It will surprise you!

14 November 2017 by Nick

Hard to fault. Storage in "tank" is great with 12v accessory socket secure and waterproof location to charge phone/camera/sat nav. Standard tyres are awful. Replace them with Micheln Road Pilot 4 and the bike is transformed. Suspension is a little hard for an "adventure" style bike, not that you would take it off-road! Could do with a larger petrol tank to increase the range. Commuting, Touring, Pillion with luggage - Does everything you need it to.

Suspension a little harsh. Single front disk is surprisingly effective. Several 200+ mile rides with a pillion and both of us happy.
OK, it's not that powerful and there is no point revving it. Change your riding style. Use the torque and it will surprise you.
7,000 miles in 6 months. No faults to date.
Only had the first service which was OK, but looking ahead the 1 year not too bad however the 2 year looks to be very expensive. 70+ mpg easily achievable.
Had the hot grips and accessory loom fitted. Easy to add more connections for clothing, sat-nav etc.. Centre stand essential for chain lube. Secure storage in "tank" has to be the most useful feature.

Helpful dealer. Fair trade-in on my Yamaha XT1200Z.

Understated peach

08 November 2017 by Klinker

So brilliantly designed , characterful, torquey, smooth and relaxing with unbelievable economy.

The front fork lacks small bump compliance, can result in chatter on crap uk roads, but the brakes are surprisingly stunning.
A real gentle peach with lovely understated character and good throaty sound profile.
Feels brilliantly put together, minimal servicing every 8000 miles, reminds me of my cx500.
Honda have pushed the boat out, the dealer is super helpful and will really go out of his way on customer service.
Great tankboot, so useful. Clocks and controls are simple but good quality and ergonomics.

Honda dealer was upbeat and helpful, offering all my comprehensive Givi accessories at best prices.

Mixed Feelings.

29 June 2017 by Griff

I own a number of collectible bikes and I bought this bike new to use for a 75 mile round trip commute through South London to Westminster. In every respect this bike does everything I ask of it. The tires have a dodgy reputation, but as I ride more sedately than most I have not had a problem, though they are a bit hard in the sidewalls. The only real worry I have is that after the first 300 miles the bike has developed a worrying tendency to jump out of gear (3 times so far). This was under half power acceleration (on a bike that produces a lot less power than my ZX-12). As I intend to ride this bike for the next 3 years, covering a lot of miles, this is a major concern and I am speaking to Honda about it.

The bike rides really well through town traffic (filtering) and motorway cruising is fine up 90, though I tend to stick to 70-75. The turbulence over the screen is an issue, particularly when following high vehicles. The brakes are pretty good, and the ABS in the rain can be a life saver, particularly when some divvi pulls out suddenly.
Aside from the gearbox concerns, the engine delivers what is was designed to do. A useful plodder.
The finish on the wheels looks a bit ropey, otherwise very good. Too early to tell on long term issues.
150 quid for a first service to change oil and filter and a quick look over?... come on, you must be joking!
I never thought I would see the day when Honda would regard a center-stand as an accessory, and a need to offer a replacement screen (for £140) to replace one that is clearly inadequate for most people!...

I bought this bike from Hunts of Manchester, the purchase and delivery was fine. It was when I got pulled by an ANPR unit in London that things got ugly. I was suspected of stealing a bike and using false plates. It turns out that when Hunts originally confirmed the index number to me, I arranged the insurance, the contract papers with Honda were all finalised - all on the the wrong number plate, hence the reason I was pulled. The reg number actually belonged to a Honda 125cc bike. I only noticed when I re-checked the V5 (it was one letter out). I was effectively riding a bike without insurance. Hunts gave a me a one line e-mail apology and a plate in the post - which arrived too late as I needed to satisfy the Police to stave off prosecution. Buy from Hunts again?.. not likely...

18 May 2017 by Kevin Healey

I’ve been riding bikes for some 50 years now. All sorts, from a C50 to a super sports GSXR and most in between. I did the ego trip e.g. ‘my bike is faster than yours’ and went faster than some and not as fast as others. I did the daily commute, the long distance commute, the weekend trip and the tour. Me and bikes have a history. I love bikes, love biking, if it has two wheels and an engine, I want a go. My last bike, a Triumph Sprint ST, was great fun to own, fast, great handling and touring comfort, but I found myself mostly riding it at about legal speeds on the road, even on tour – not Europe, I’m now in NZ – and spent most of my riding holding it back. Though it was a really good bike, it didn’t somehow fit with me – there I was with a quick bike which actually, unless I went on a track day, had a potential I would never use… So, taken by a sudden inspiration of practicality, I bought a bike which would fit the environment I rode in, an NC750X. Yes I know all the journalists opinions, that this is a bike you wouldn’t take seriously, after all, it only has 54hp. True, but it produces the hp at much lower rev/min than virtually all other bikes, so has a decent gob full of torque. If the rider can tune their ears to not associate screaming engine noise with rapid progress, but to relate throttle position to progress on the road, then this bike is well capable of touring – apart from autobahns of course – commuting and if you wish, of licence threatening speeds. If you continuously hit the rev limiter, you’re missing the point of this bike. It’s handing is ok, it doesn’t turn in sweetly, you need to look further ahead and adjust accordingly, but once you have that sorted, you can scrub the edges from your tyres. It’s not super sports, but it’s fun, getting the most from your bike. The suspension as standard is good, hit bumps in mid corner and there’s no problem, no wallowing, it copes admirably. I don’t quite believe I’m going to write this, but it does what it says on the tin. If you want an all-rounder bike which is economic, durable, reliable and one you can ride anywhere you want to go, even gravel roads, get a Honda NC750X. Done a couple of thousand k’s on it now and find I ride it much more than I did the Sprint. I think I may own this bike for some time.

The seat is a plank - buy an aftermarket one.
So far

Mr Bean could make a skit about this bike.

04 March 2017 by Bike mike 67

Heavy slowcoach made for the low in testoserone.

Way too heavy - try and push that mother ! Sure the weight is low-too low Ive never owned a bike with such strange handling. the weight is all low down - handles differently to any motorcycle i have owned. May suit a car driver
Must be the worst motorcycle engine ever made.Will prob last for 5 decades as it makes no power. This is the most unfun bike ever! BIkes need to rev for fun. No revs =no fun. Take the engine out and use it for an anchor and put in a engine that goes zoom zoom and revs to at least 8000 rpm and makes power from 4 to 8K. If doing lots of km per litre turns you on then this is the machine for you. Switch the engine off and coast down hill -it will do even more km per litre.
Probably last forever as few will actually ride it much.
too early to say
Best feature is that it looks pretty damn good (apart from the beak) so just leave it parked on your drive but don't bother riding it. Beak should be removable for riders with good taste .

The dealer was happy to take my cash.

NC750X

16 July 2016 by ride red

forks need re valving
lovely low reving torqey motor
fantastic bike
excellent storage

top bananna

30 May 2016 by Hazzzzer

Great commuter bike.

Brakes are adequate but not great, handling is brilliant as the weight is low down in the bike, suspension is budget quality you can feel most of the dumps in the road.
Not powerful, very forgiving sport bike, but it's spot on for commuting can overtake if you drop it down a peg or two, very low revving bike took me a couple of weeks to get used to, red line at 6200 rpm I change up between 2-3k unless I want to ride more spirited, 6th gear is more like a overdrive gear.
Change the Dunlop tyres as soon as possible, they generate too much noise, changed my ones at 1200 miles for pr4 have only needed to adjust the chain once in 6000 mile but I clean and lobe it every week. (200miles)
Getting 75mpg, bike is used for commuting to work only
Could do with a air temp gauge but at this price what it has is good enough, the fake petrol storage tank is brilliant, it can carry all my stuff for work and means I don't need a top box and rack so I save about £300. Change the screen std one does nothing it keep wind off.

J S Geages Honda in Pevensey bay (unashamed plug) help me sort the finance, got a fair deal on my trade in and an excellent deal on aftermarket parts I wanted on the bike with free fitting, get new boots, trousers, neck tube and Honda hooded for next to nothing.

NC = Nice Cycle

24 May 2016 by brian

Would recommend to anyone who loves to just ride for the sake of riding, best features are in my opinion the engine, abs, storage & economy, and let's not forget the fantastic exhaust note from the Akrapovic with the baffle removed, this thing just rides itself, i just sit there with a grin from ear to ear, the only downside are the forks as they struggle to absorb small undulations, will be getting them re valved, the rear abs is so svelte, the thing backs into corners on damp or wet roads with such predictable control, (found that out by mistake) & we all make mistakes, but got the feel for it now, "famous last words" aaaa-crunch, but hope not. complements my cbr300r perfectly.

Have done 140 miles non stop so far & was ready for a rest, may get gel insert in seat but not a complaint, the most expensive tourers become a pain in the backside after 150 miles non stop, can't really say when it's at it's best, i think it kicks ass round town, also love it on the country lanes which will improve when i get forks re valved, it's also great to travel on.
All torque & no action, drives out of corners lovely, there's more to motorcycling than 190bhp @ 12000rpm & 0 - 190mph & back to standstill faster than you can get the coffin lid screwed on. Getting 69 - 84 mpg so far, not revved it past 4000rpm yet apart from little tiny bursts her & there, don't want them bores glazing, won't be giving it the full berries until way past 1000 miles.
Have given top marks here but have to admit i've only had the bike 3 weeks, but in my experience it's a honda & i only buy honda, have owned well over 100 bikes in the last 35 yrs & out of all the different brands honda has the edge over everything else out there when it comes to build quality, attention to detail & paint finish & lasting durability.
Next service due at 1 yr or 8k whichever comes first, valve check not due until 16k so should be a cheap bike to live with.
Love the dummy tank storage, have fitted a front fenda extenda, rad guard & hugger to follow, when i can find the brands that look right, do buy the titanium road legal Akrapovic & remove the baffle (still stays road legal) but the tone is much much deeper, standard can sucks,

Dealer, traded my mint 99 CBR1000FX that had only 10000 miles on it, loved the old CBR apart from dreadful linked brakes & the fact it was a boring bike to ride unless you were doing 120 plus, dealer gave me £1500 for it against the nc, got it on 0%pcp with a £200 fuel card thrown in, couldn't resist, got a centre stand & Akrapovic at a fantastic price.

great all-round bike. I would definitely recommend.

13 April 2016 by Bazinga

Pros: handles very well. very easy to ride. although the bike is heavy (~240kg) the weight is very low and for this reason I find it lighter than my previous Honda Hornet 600cc (~170kg). I love the very smooth DCT gear box and the selection of Drive, Sport and Manual modes. Cons: I wish there were 10-20bhp more. I would definitely recommend it, unless you need something very powerful, in which case you should get a different bike. The reason I changed from Honda Hornet to NC was that Hornet had 100bhp and 13k rpms that I never used. NC is also more economical. I do get around 70mpg out of town and 50-60mpg in the city.

Breaks are great. ride quality quite comfortable. I prefer sitting position on NC rather than laying position on other bikes. Because of my lower back problem I can only ride for about an hour before I feel any discomfort, but with my Airhawk seat I can do extra hour or two without break. It is a very decent all-round bike except heavy traffic in the centre of London. Sometimes it's too wide to squeeze through small gaps between cars (something that scooters do).
I like the low end torque and power delivered (even for such a heavy bike) although extra 10 or 20 bhp would be nice. 3rd and 4th gears are the best. DCT gearbox is very smooth although in slow heavy traffic I use Manual mode when filtering as bike tend to do too many bear changes between 1 and 2.
I've had it for 2 years now. No corrosion so far. Build quality is great. It has never let me down so far. Within 17k miles done so far I've only replaced tires (once) and chain and sprockets.
Honda servicing always tend to be higher then other makes. 500miles and 8k miles services were about £200 each. My last 16k miles service was £350, but I did look at other non-Honda garages that quoted between £300-500 for the same job. non-dct is a bit cheaper as there is 1 filter less to change. In the end I did use Honda in Romford (great service, I would recommend) as Honda in Ruislip and Chiswick were more expensive and reviews not that great. Other than servicing and extra mods I have not replaced anything. MOT is a bit high. 600cc and less are much cheaper. insurance is fine. not too expensive but not very cheap either. This year it cost me ~£350.
I really like the helmet storage, which I tend to use for all other stuff (tools, waterproof clothes, gloves, etc) as I do also have a top box used for my helmet. I also like the ABS as standard.

bought new from chiswick Honda. 0% interest. I did get heated grips free of charge.

09 April 2016 by lucho

Best features: easy to drive, amazing fuel efficiency, good looking, comfy, practical luggage compartment, perfect low-rev behavior. Worst features: plastic covers are annoying. There is no "window' for monitoring the oil level which makes the oil check painful, rev-limiter is brutal

Quite comfy for short and medium length rides. My single ride is usually about 70km and I feel good and relaxed on it. Maybe the side-stand could be more sturdy. Breaks are perfectly adequate.
Extreme fuel economy, quite, really excellent low-rev manners. The bike feels at home at low revs.
The overall built quality seems to be quite satisfactory. Except for the plastic covers which are... well... too plastic. The windshield is mostly useless but is sexy :-) No signs of rust so far, no oil consumption, breakdowns, etc. As a whole a reliable machine (1.5 years, 6K on the clock).
Excellent fuel economy! Almost unbelievable. My average fuel consumption in the countryside is about 3.3l/100km.
The "fake" tank is a great idea. Although at gas stations I usually always spill over some gasoline upon the bike due to the inconvenient tank cap location. Has 2 trip meters, average and total fuel consumption, clock, the monitor is very well lit up. ABS as a standard, immobilizer (HISS), etc.Nothing is missing for the average user.

22 October 2015 by Alan

I was riding the Honda ST1100 for about 15 years before switching to the NC750X. Both bikes are hard to fault; but I welcome the change to a lighter machine. Before, I had to set my Garmin Zumo to avoid unpaved roads, now with the NC I had disabled that avoidance feature on my GPS.

27 September 2015 by Tony

Less weight . Bigger fuel tank .

A bike that works

13 September 2015 by Will Shields

Do you use your bike, primarily, or pose on it? If the former, this is the bike for you. Supreme utility, both in traffic and on the open road. Economical, powerful enough (I rarely miss the once-a-month licence-threatening blast of power from my previous super bike), comfortable and effortless to ride.

Took a month or two to finally accept that the bike was actually happy chugging along at such slow revs

How hard can it be to include an air temperature gauge?

Very pleased return rider

22 July 2015 by Cledwyn Williams

excellent build, easy and comfortable ride and very fuel efficient. I find the "fake fuel tank" vey useful, an excellent idea since I not a great fan of panniers. I would recommend this bike to any rider apart from a speed freak, although I am more than pleased with speeds I have attained with plenty to spare.

A decent all round bike. I recently went for 60 miles without a break and I have had knee replacement surgery
The bike does everything I ask of it. Easy to ride, comfortable and being a "cobby " bike handles corners well and has good balance.
The bike is a typical Honda, well built, to date it has not let me down once.
Fuel running costs are very low and I am very pleased with that. My insurance costs are for comprehensive insurance are £88 per annum
I like the choice of either a manual or automatic gearbox. It has a comfortable riding position and the "fake petrol tank" is an excellent idea. I am not a fan of panniers.

I purchased the bike from Colwyn Bay Motorcycles who are Honda dealers. I am glad that I did because I had some trepidation about thee automatic gearbox. The dealers were very professional and put me at ease, they took considerable trouble in ensuring that I was happy with riding the bike before letting me loose on the road. This added to the enjoyment of the bike. As part of the deal they added free of charge very useful hand warmers, centre stand and reduced the seat height for me. I paid slightly less than the advertised price, which was an added bonus. The ladies that dealt with my purchase were very knowledgeable, and pleasant- and oh yes very pretty which is always a bonus!!

18 July 2015 by Paul

A nice middleweight bike. Feels good quality, and it's nice to ride. Not super-powerful but quick enough for the real world. Very practical for commuting etc but probably not exciting enough for everyone. It has an undeserved reputation for being a bit dull - it holds its own against the comparable bikes from the competition (e.g. Versys 650). On the whole I am very pleased.

I find the seat a bit uncomfortable on longer journeys and the screen could do with being a bit bigger. There is quite a big gap between fifth and sixth gears - in my mind the engine never really feels entirely comfortable in sixth gear - it feels as though it struggles to pull a bit. Brakes are effective but nothing to write home about but the bike comes with ABS which is nice to have. The seat is a reasonable height.
A decent turn of speed. Not super quick but quick enough in the real world especially 0-60. It runs out of puff a bit beyond say 75mph. If the rev-limiter kicks in it can take you by surprise however - you feel an instant loss of power which is very unwelcome. The vibration from the engine is very well damped for a twin - much better than the Versys 650 which I test rode. The engine doesn't sound particularly meaty however.
Nothing gone wrong so far but it's early days. It had a recall for a potential problem with the lock on the storage compartment. A little plastic grommet thingy that was supposed to keep the little compartment closed at the bottom of the storage compartment has given up the ghost but it isn't a big issue. It seems well built generally and there is no sign of corrosion so far.
I'm not riding especially efficiently - mostly I ride 7 miles to work and back through traffic so I doubt the engine has much chance to warm up. Even so I am getting just under 15 miles per litre. That has got to be worth something in the running cost stakes for a bike with a 750cc engine.
There's the well known storage space in the fake petrol tank which is very handy - you can get a full face helmet in there or a full carrier bag of shopping. It's got a gear indicator, clock and fuel gauge but it doesn't come loaded with goodies - but that's not surprising at this price point. There are plenty of after market accessories available. The fuel tank could do with being a couple of litres bigger - you need to fill up after about 140 miles (it goes onto the last bar on the fuel gauge by then) - with a couple of extra litres capacity you could go an extra 30 miles or so before having to fill up.

Not a head turner - but generates more love from me as it's so reliable, economical and USEFUL

04 July 2015 by Medlife Crisis

Would definitely recommend. I was a newer rider so bought this as frequently described as ideal for the less experienced, but having now tried (and owned) a few more bikes, I don't think it should be limited to the novice audience, it holds it own in many fields. Mine is the standard manual, not DCT, and I've got nothing but praise. It's economical even when ridden flat out and has not had any reliability issues whatsoever. The storage 'frunk' is a fantastic feature meaning I can take my locks, gloves, balaclava anywhere without thinking and am always prepared if the weather changes. Plus I can do a fairly decent-sized grocery shop on the way home without needing a bag or spoiling the look with a top box. I use it daily to commute 66 miles each way and it's comfortable, cheap, and forgiving in all conditions. I've also gone touring and found it genuinely superb for this purpose. I've not given 5/5 overall as I think it should come with a better screen, I changed it for a better one fairly easily though. And perhaps I've got to accept it's not the most exciting bike in the world, it doesn't rev high (you will hit the limiter now and again) and is a bit sluggish but in reality, who needs to do >100mph? Maybe you could call it a Volvo estate of bikes: reliable, easy to drive/ride, more storage than others and kind on the wallet. But also sensible. What I've done is use this as my daily rider and bought a second hand CBR for weekend fun.

Pillion rider has no complaints either.
At this price range, it's got all you need. And the storage tank is brilliant.

29 June 2015 by Joaquim Primo

Is this the most practical bike on the road?

19 May 2015 by Mark2

A bike that does everything well, you can ride this at full tilt without worrying about having a massive high speed accident/loss of license. A quality bike, capable handling in all weathers, good build quality and amazingly economical - 90+ mpg is easily achievable. Good service intervals at 8,000 miles but Honda dealer servicing is a bit pricy.

Suspension is cheap and can be choppy at speed over bad roads, but it's never too bad. Brakes are good although ABS on the rear cuts in often as the back brake feels a bit wooden.
Smooth, lazy and relaxing. Even if you want to press on and rev it to the limiter it never feels stressed. It can be a bit snatchy below 2,000 revs but this is true of most twins. Mirrors, pegs and bars remain vibration free at all revs.
In over 28,000 miles in the first year nothing has failed or stopped working, not even a bulb! Oil consumption is nil, all you ever need to do is get on it and go. It does show a few signs of wear, with some rust on disks and bolts but having been used throughout the winter and living outside, what would you expect? Paintwork and chrome still looks good.
After 28,000 miles in the first year it's still on the original chain/sprockets and brake pads. Tyres last 10-12,000 miles (rear) and 12-14,000 miles on the front. Honda servicing is expensive, but it does keep the warranty up should you ever need it. Best economy achieved has been 104mpg, worst 54mpg but normal consumption is 85-90mpg on my normal commute to work.
Love the tank under the pillion seat, which gives a big storage space where the tank usually is. I've got a centre stand, Givi tall screen, heated grips, Bark-buster Hand Guards, hugger and fender extender fitted which add to the bikes practicality.

Bought new from a main dealer on PCP offer that Honda do. £1300 deposit,£99 a month for 3 years and a £1500 final payment makes it an affordable package.

Honda NC750X- DCT

29 July 2014 by petervoros

Had this bike since the middle of March. Only done about 1000 miles so far because I have another bike (Harley Fat Bob). I had a 700X-DCT which was good, but this one has noticable improvements. Twist and go simplicity, D mode for economy and S mode for more speed, there is a manual mode too which I never bother to use. In town it is king with a good vantage point and is off the line before others get their gears and clutch sorted. The seat was not to my taste so got an aftermarket one (Sargent). The only thing I would like to be changed is selector button on the bars instead of having to push the button on the dash. It's not a race bike but is quick enough for everything I need it for. The handling is sweet and confident, easy at low speeds. I get in the low 70's to the gallon. With plenty of luggage options available this bike makes an excellent mid sized tourer or shopping bike. I change my bikes regularly but this one is a keeper because it is just so easy to ride. The service intervals are 8000 miles and with the good mpg it is a cheap bike to keep.

The sensible option.

09 July 2014 by sandwick

I have just taken delivery of my "S" version. Would have loved the "X" but too vertically challenged! This bike is fun and no hassle. I've got the DCT version and in Auto or Manual it's a joy to ride. It's never going to win a traffic lights drag race but who cares; it'll win everything else. Honda got this just right :)

Confortable & easy to ride

28 March 2014 by Gabelo

If you want to ride easy and sweetly, you should have Honda NC750X DCT. it is nimble in order to ride in speedway and city.but if you want to go the speed limit the NC 750 X is not for you.

Year introduced 2014
Warranty term Two year unlimited mileage
Insurance group -
Front brake 1x320mm discs. Two-piston caliper ABS
Rear brake 1x240mm disc, Single-piston caliper ABS
Front tyre size 120/70ZR17
Rear tyre size 160/60ZR17

The NC700 was launched in 2012 in S, X and Integra format.

Adding Honda’s duel clutch costs £600 while the Integra scooter is £7799.

• HONDA NC750X  (2014-on)