HONDA SILVER WING 600 (2001-on) Review

Published: 24 November 2006

Not only is it competent, it's versatile and huge fun, too

Honda FJS600 Silver Wing motorcycle review - Riding

Not only is it competent, it's versatile and huge fun, too

• Low seat height (740mm)
  • £6,999

If you don’t reckon scooters are your thing, the  Honda FJS600 Silver Wing could come as a bit of a shock. Loads of power, excellent performance and handling, great brakes… Not only is it competent, it’s versatile and huge fun, too. The price is a bit steep but the  Honda FJS600 Silver Wing is a great motorcycle that can certainly raise a dyed-in-the-wool biker’s eyebrow…

Watch the Honda Silver Wing take on the Aprilia Mana, the Suzuki SV650 Sport, and the Pigaggio MP3 400

The Honda FJS600 Silver Wing is a heavy motorcycle but it’s nimble enough in town. Hit top speeds on the motorway and it’ll weave a little, though: unnerving but not treacherous. As for twisties: the Honda FJS600 Silver Wing is huge fun, offering great grip, top (linked) brakes and remarkable lean angles. Lots of pillion space, too.

With a fuel injected, 582cc parallel twin knocking out nearly 50bhp, we could easily be talking 'proper' motorcycle here. But the Honda FJS600 Silver Wing offers a powerful, smooth alternative with plenty of poke for town riding but also, surprisingly, loads of welly for long motorway treks too. The fuel injection’s slick and delivery’s seamless but fuel economy can suffer if you really cane a Honda FJS600 Silver Wing.

The Honda FJS600 Silver Wing is beautifully put together and well designed, making it not just useful but also a real joy to ride. It’s got everything you need but a whole lot of other stuff you really want, as well. The quality and attention to detail are without question, which may explain the motorcycle's somewhat inflated price.

The motorcycle’s main sticking point is its price but the Honda FJS600 Silver Wing is really is a very good quality motorcycle with truly surprising performance. It’s cheaper than Suzuki’s Burgman 650 but considerably lighter and has the advantage of Honda reliability. And while the Silver Wing’s pricier than Yamaha’s XP500 T-Max, it’s got a bit more power. A close-run thing. Find a Honda FJS600 SilverWing for sale.

Insurance group: 10 of 17 – compare motorcycle insurance quotes now.

The Honda FJS600 Silver Wing has a beautiful, modern dash houses analogue rev counter and speedo, then there’s a digital bit with fuel gauge, clock and other gizmos. The seat’s vast and plush, there’s loads of leg room and the screen/fairing works a treat. The Honda FJS600 Silver Wing also has two glove compartments and a cavernous section under the seat mean loads of storage space. Aftermarket extras abound.

4 owners have reviewed their HONDA SILVER WING 600 (2001-on) and rated it in a number of areas. Read what they have to say and what they like and dislike about the bike below.

We’re currently improving the way this section works, which means we’ve had to suspend the submission of new owners’ reviews for a short period. Please check back soon.

Just bought a new one...

23 October 2014 by exceledsteve

On a '64 plate. Yes I know it's a 13 year old design (doesn't feel it). Yes I know it's £7k (0% over 3 years). Yes I know it's not cutting edge fuel efficient (still high 50s/gallon). Yes I know there are better maxi scooters out now (not £2k to £3k... Read more better though). And I know we haven't got the restyled model here like on the European mainland (exactly the same underneath). But despite all that it's still what I was looking for, more so than anything else available. The Integra isn't really a scooter and loses out over the Silverwing on practicalities, otherwise I'd have gone for that instead. 7 weeks of ownership and 600 miles of commuting and I really like riding it. It does everything and it's the vehicle I find myself taking most often (I've got 4 at my disposal) so that says a lot. I'm really glad I bought it and I'd recommend one as a utility vehicle over anything else.

What more can I want !

02 July 2013 by bluepaul427

I was at a Honda dealer for a test ride day and after doing a Pan and Crosstourer I was waiting for a guy to come back with a Dullsville when the sales guy said why don't you have a go on the Silver Wing. After a couple of expletives and a chuckle I... Read more thought, why not I've got 15 mins to kill. two hours later I had arranged a part x on a used one and picked it up 2 days later. Absolutely fantastic is the way to describe the wing. Fast around town, holds its own on the Motorway all day super comfort, loads of storage. On a recent weekend camping trip the lot went under the seat inc. tent, bag, stove and clothes. I've upgraded the screen and fitted heated grips to give that bit of extra weather protection and comfort. Fuel economy isn't brilliant at 45mpg but I do tend to cane it a bit ! I think it's overpriced new but used ones seem reasonable. All said and done this is a fantastic bike/scooter that fits in with my needs brilliantly.

Awsome allrounder!

08 July 2010 by Anonymous

I've owned my 03 silverwing for a month now and I love it. Dunno why i waited so long to get one. It's silver, has 31,000 on the clock with fsh and I paid £1700 for it in a private sale. It's such a brilliant bike I don't know why more aren't ridden... Read more in the uk. Can the whole of Europe really be wrong? I for one dought it. The design of the bike is very modern, which I like, the front and rear light clusters could easily have been removed from Hondas latest sports bike as well as the dash. There's some really nice features aswell like the LCD dash, 12 volt power socket, parking brake and under seat light aswell as the huge storage space. The bike runs and rides perfectly, very balanced with lots of usable power and so smooth. It really handles well and is easy to ride. It inspires confidence. The linked brakes work very well too. Only usually needing a soft squeeze to hault even from speed. You really don't realise your riding a scooter. It's extremely comfortable too even for a passenger. The bike purrs around town and is up to 30mph in a few seconds. Out on the open road it's not lacking either and happily cruises between 80 - 85mph and doesn't take long to get there either. Mpg's averaging around 45mpg. I'm so glad I made the jump to the maxi scooter. Now I understand why all the Europeans ride them. I use to ride middle weight roadsters but the Silverwing with all it's extra features, practicalities and performance ensures I won't be rushing back to a standard motorcycle anytime soon, if ever. I use to think why would anyone want a big scooter, but now i would haft seriously consider why anyone would want a normal bike for everyday use. I commute 50 miles a day and have not ridden anything to date that suits me better. You get so much more with a silverwing and I'm sure if more people tried it they'd be converted too. An all round brilliant bike.

Competent Performer

27 April 2008 by Anonymous

I am 6'3" and I travel a lot- I thought I would try a Silver Wing for long trips and around London. I found one with less than 2000 miles for £2500. It is great- it is quick, solid, well made and very comfortable. Plenty of luggage space, all very... Read more well thought out. For it's size and weight, it is very well behaved in town although it's length can be a problem in very slow traffic but it's powerful enough to pull away from most things, particularly the moped maniacs, at the lights. Great handling makes it good fun on the roads and you can sit at 80mph on the motorway for ever. Only complaints would be tank size which seems to start flashing at 100 miles and I've never dared do more than 130 miles (which seems to be 13 litres- I cant believe that the tank is 16 litres, and I'm not risking it) and the high screen is not quite high enough for me, so wind noise can be quite high. All in all- very happy

Year introduced 2001
Warranty term Two year unlimited mileage
1/4-mile acceleration 15 secs
Engine type 8v parallel twin, automatic
Frame type Tubular steel
Front suspension None
Rear suspension Preload
Front brake 256mm disc

2001: Honda FJS600 Silver Wing launched.
2003: ABS option introduced on Honda FJS600 Silver Wing.
2011: Honda FJS600A Silver Wing [£6,505]