HYOSUNG GT250 COMET (2004-on) Review

Published: 23 November 2006

"A very good, value-for-money, 250 commuter"

Hyosung GT250 Comet motorcycle review - Riding

"A very good, value-for-money, 250 commuter"

• Suitable for A2 licence
  • £2,699

The Hyosung GT250 Comet is a very good value-for-money 250 commuter, and whilst the R version offers no more power, it has a good looking full fairing and the same USD front end as the Comet. There's a 125cc V-twin version too, which uses the same high quality chassis, but it's heavy for a learner bike, and expensive - nearly as much as the GT250R in fact.

Watch the Hyosung GT250R take on Kawasaki's Ninja 250 R

The Hyosung GT125R is definitely way above average for the budget 125cc class, as it shares the same substantial chassis as the 250. That makes it heavier than a 125 should be, but you get sporty USD forks and a gas charged monoshock ride. The 250cc motor gives you the power to work the chassis a bit and though it's no Aprilia RS250, the Hyosung 250 is a commuter with some credibility in the corners.

Both the 125 and 250 Hyosung GT models have DOHC, 8 valve V-twin engines, based on Suzuki designs, which are more than adequate for the job. The 125 makes as much as any 125 can legally, and has to cope with a 250 sized chassis, but the air cooled, 28bhp GT250 is a better bet for commuting to work, with some occasional weekend fun.

There have to be some question marks over the Hyosung machines, but the latest 125/250R models show that the brand is serious about making a real alternative to mainstream commuter/novice bikes, with a dash of performance and style. Having engines based on Suzuki designs helps boost the likely durability of the Hyosung bikes.

Very hard to fault in terms of value for money. The Hyosung GT250R costs less than some well known 125cc machines and 28bhp is enough to make commuting reasonably fun, as well frugal on unleaded. You get loads of bike for your money, whether in Hyosung's 125cc or 250cc V-Twin packages. Find a Hyosung GT250 for sale.

Insurance group: 6 of 17 – compare motorcycle insurance quotes now.

For budget biking it's hard to beat the Hyosung GT250 Comet; upside down forks, good sized saddle, twin front discs on the R version, fuel gauge, digital dashboard and an optional `race' end can plus tinted screen. The 125 Comet/R also has the same chassis, with a scaled down V-twin engine - so it looks and feels like a `proper' big bike.

12 owners have reviewed their HYOSUNG GT250 COMET (2004-on) and rated it in a number of areas. Read what they have to say and what they like and dislike about the bike below.

We’re currently improving the way this section works, which means we’ve had to suspend the submission of new owners’ reviews for a short period. Please check back soon.

2005 GT250

23 May 2013 by MatdNZH

Learned to ride on a GT250 Comet. Was a great little commuter/tourer and weekend back road blaster. Kept it for 3 and a half years I enjoyed it so much. In NZ we even have a dedicated race series to get people into racing based on the... Read more GT250/r. Pro: Very efficient, easy to work on, comfortable riding position and handled pretty well considering its weight and power combination. If you feel the need to race it up parts are easily swapped between the GT250 and GT250R as they are almost exactly the same. Con: For a while mine tried to give itself a greater power to weight ratio by dropping off bits of trim and nuts. Though I suspect this was from poor maintenance by the previous owner/shop. FUEL GAUGE!! For some reason they never read accurately, would read DEAD EMPTY or less and I'd still have a good 3L left in the tank. They don't respond well to being stored outside and tend to start corroding in the welds if not looked after with kid gloves. The OE tyres (in my case Shinko's) were awful in the wet and didnt respond well until warmed up so were not very learner friendly. With a bit of love and regular maintenance they are great little bikes. A set of decent tyres like Michelin Pilot Road (enter # here),and slightly heavier than OE fork oil completely transforms the handling too. The only issues with mine were mostly caused by poor maintenance by a dodgy workshop prior to my taking ownership. We race them here and there has only been one mechanical failure in 3 full seasons of racing caused by the owner not checking it had sufficient oil. Overall a nice sturdy entry level bike.

good and cheap

11 March 2011 by geofwassell

It pulls over 100kg of me and my baggage around and does around 80mpg. It is reliable and contrary to many opinions typified by non engineering press hacks and other trafic light GP officials, is properly put together. It is cheap and so it uses... Read more cheap materials.I did hear that this company had been making components for other motorcycle companies for several years; whether it is true , I dont know but I wouldnt be surprised if that were the case. This isnt a mini fireblade or one of BMWs major competitors but it does everything it should do every day and I have no complaints.

For Idiot's & Millionnaire's!

08 April 2010 by Mattcomet

Long list of problems (07 GT125 well looked after), very expensive. Sticky Carb, Poor gearbox, forks have think chrome so short life to corrosion very pricey due to over priced spares e.g. rear shock cost £250 vs Honda CG £80. Looks cool handles... Read more great due to fat tyres, comfortable at speed, VERY COOL to look at. I suffered from Heart over head and bugger me did it hurt my wallet! Avoid at all costs CG + YBR look borin but do you care if your on your 'big bike' in months. I'm a year in and have been held back by money issues with it. I hate to be negative to such a pretty thing; its like hating a hot chick very hard and given the chance you 'would', but its not worth the heart ache.

Hyosung gt250 r 2010

09 February 2010 by josephzammit

I have had the bike for the last two months and I can't fault it.Good handling,strong engine for a 250 and it goes like a dream.Good fuel consumption and starts first time.Can't complain at all. Read more

GT250 high mileage

15 June 2009 by gw555

I have a 2006 GT250 naked and have clocked 94000km. Never had any trouble with it apart from the cdi and rear shock were replaced at 9900km and the shock has been replaced again at 66000km. I use it mainly for commuting but do take it on rides... Read more - longest one so far is 2650km in three days.

contact dealer

20 April 2009 by djawillis

if any one has one 207 onwards 126 contact ur dealer cam chain tensioners all need to be replaced my front cylinder blew but bike got me home on 1 at 20 mph lol Read more

great first bike

26 January 2009 by djawillis

had the 125 version bike 18 months now and although it doesnt have the top end speed of other 125s it keeps up till 50 ive ridden alot of 125s and personaly the handling is way better than any other even rs125 n nsr the engine is good bit lumpy at... Read more low rpm and that dam cam chain tensioner which is realy the only problem good mpg copes ok with a pillion. i think it was a good move to buy this as a 1st bike it builds confidence and is a tough bike as my girlfreind mum ran reversed over it in a mitsubish shugun only a broken mirror n brake leaver o and if u hav to get hit by a taxi thats coming the wrong way dont a one way well the taxi was much worse than the bike

Hyosung Comet GT125

01 January 2009 by bugsonic

Bought this bike a few weeks back, four months old with around 3000 miles on the clock. I've just past my CBT, theory and booked to complete my test beginning of Feb 09. I wanted a bike that didn't look small and had visual appeal. The GT125 has... Read more it in bucketloads. The previous owner had fitted a Scorpian can, and this adds to the visual looks, as well as the sound and performance. After having riden it for almost 300 miles, I can honestly say I'm very happy with it. The only problem I have had is the choke won't open. It appears to be jammed and I don't want to force it. No amount of WD40 of other lubrication will appear to free the mechanism on the carbs. Fortunately I live in a part of the UK where frost's are rare and I can still get my bike started without choke, although it needs a few minutes longer before I can pull away. I'm hoping that I can get this sorted under warranty, but will have to check with the dealer after the Christmas/New Year holidays. As I'm doing the A2 test I won't be able to upgrade to a big bike for another couple of years but, based on this bike, I'll quite happily make do with a GT250R for the next couple of years.

GT250R 2008

23 October 2008 by agenot

If it helps to appreciate this review, my last bike(92)was a Suzuki GSX750(shaft). Bought this bike in August, main use being for work though the route does take me along a fast main road and the bike handles well at 60.For the first 600 mile's one... Read more is recommenbed to use half throttle, this still purpells you along at an easy 70mph at 7500 revs. Just had the first sevice so now according to Hyosung I can take the bike upto 3/4 throttle, did so last sunday and reached 85mph at 8500revs no proplem, though there is noticeable vibration between 5/6000revs. I like the ride,though at 52 and 6'2 after an hour I might make a footrest further back along the frame for cruising.Will update this review after each service, next being around March 09, unless something major happens! So far I am happy that I dismissed the same old "badge" prejudice I heard way back in 72 when I bought my first bike, a Suzuki GT250 by wierd coincidence!

My Take on the Hyosung Comet GT250R

19 November 2007 by adilz

Would like to share my opinion about the Hyosung Comet GT250R (rebadged as Naza Blade 250R here in Malaysia) though I don't think I am the right person to review much about the bike since I don't consider myself as a real biker, just not yet. It... Read more was my first bike after a 10 year hiatus from riding. I got my Comet 250R late June last year. I think I was among the first to own it after it was launched June here in Malaysia. For a start, the 250R is a big bike (in terms size). And that's among the main reason why I bought it. Being 6 feet tall, the rest of the other 250 cc available in the market does not suit my height well. Onboard a Kawa ZXR250, I feel like I'm squatting. The Comet 250R wheel base is a whopping 1,435 mm. Thats 75mm longer than ZXR 250. So is the seat higher by 45 mm comparatively. In fact the 250R might look as big some other higher capacity bikes. The bike is also quite heavy at 175 kg. With the long wheelbase and its weight, it has good straight line stability. But trying to flip it for corners takes quite an effort.. From what I read, Hyosung may have initially designed the chassis to accommodate both their 250 cc and 650 cc bike. But then they decided to design different frame for the 650. That's why the GT250R is so big and feels like being on one too. Handling is pretty decent. The upside down telescopic front forks is good enough for normal riding, soaking up the common humps and bumps of Malaysian road, and those occasional shallow pot-hole (though please avoid it if you can). Once I hit a deep port-hole at 100++ km/h, deep enough to slightly bend the front rim, but the forks took the impact very well so not to send me and my bike kissing the road. On the track though, its feel a tad soft. The rear suspension is even softer. Most 250R owners complain stems from this soft rear suspension. The easiest way to overcome this problem is to replace the rear shock with the Comet 650R rear shock unit. Some of the current 250 owners did just that and came out happier during corners. The Comet 250R stops by way of double 300 mm twin disc up front with 2 pot calipers each side and a single 230 mm rear disc. However the stock brake pads could be better. 110/70-17 front and 150/70-17 Shinko tires provides the rubber down on the road. The Shinkos is just good enough for mild knee-scrapping cornering when properly warmed up on a blistering hot tarmac under the searing noon sun. But push-it a lil bit harder and you are asking for trouble. I know, after kissing the gravel 3 times at Sepang circuit on those Shinkos. If the Shinko is decent on hot dry road, its notoriously slippery on wet road especially during rain. Unless you are an experienced speedway bike rider, able to go power sliding side ways cornering on your bike, you might one to ditch them Shinkos for a better set of rubbers.. And now here's the part most normally ask. Performance, top speed, acceleration. The 250R has a V-twin 249 cc engine, 4 valves per cylinder and DOHC. Sounds great but if you are looking for G-force acceleration and supersonic top speed, you might as well go for the Kawa ZXR250. Better still, go for the Aprillia RS250. When the Hyosung first came out with its 250 cc, the Comet GT 250, it was design as a naked street bike. The sports version, hence the R tag is mainly cosmetic. Fairings, race handle, twin front disc etc but the engine is the same. But there still some debate if the 250R has a better gear ratio or CDI system for it to accelerate better and has higher top then the naked street version 250. I put it down to wind drag coz the 250R has fairings. The tachometer puts maximum RPM at 13,000 with redline starting from 10,500 RPM. Other reviews I read so far put dyno-tested power at around 24 HP at rear wheel (28/41HP MFRC engine power at 10,500 RPM) and 21.6 Nm torque at 7,500 RPM. Compare that to 40HP@15,500 RPM power and 22 Nm@11,000RPM torque of the ZXR250. Bad? Actually no. The 250R V-twin engine does what it is designed for, normal street riding. And as I use my bike to commute daily to work (and almost every where else), I can agree to it. With the torque coming in as early as 7,300 RPM, you don't have to change gear that often to maintain usable power, which I feels coming in above 6,000 RPM. The bike only comes with 5-speed gear box. That's kinda odd when most bikes nowadays has 6 speed. I'm pretty sure there a reason for it. Maybe the weight of the bike with its small cc didn't make sense for 6 speed gear-box. My own bike had been fitted with a used Yoshimura Zyclone can in June this year,and with some carb re-jet work I did myself, the bike managed to get around 26.92 HP rear wheel power at 10,200 RPM, dyno tested. With its less-then-stellar engine power, yesteryear 5-speed gearbox and the weight, the 250R still manages a credible 174 km/h, personally tested by me with onboard video prove. But you don't want to be riding at that speed all the time on this bike, the engine bike might scream its pistons out. The Comet 250R is at its happiest cruising at the street legal 110 kmh up to 140 kmh. And this is where I believe, it has another quality hard to be match by any other bike. Fuel consumption. This bike sips fuel, not hosing it down like a thirsty camel. And when you save fuel. you help the environment. I'll save the details on pollution, green-house effect, ozone thingy things to Al-Gore to elaborate. I normally get between 340 to 360 km on 15 liters of gas. And mind you, I get that riding the bike to and from work, with the traffic jam and the occasional 10,000RPM-throttle-hold-for-1km-so-you-know-I-have-loud-bike. I got 400 km on a long distance trip before I decided to fuel up. And I was sure I can go another 30-40 km until the tank runs dry. The Comet GT250R may not be up there with the likes of Honda, Kawasaki or Yamaha, but its worth the money. Good enough for daily use with those occasional weekend ride or even out on the track.

Year introduced 2004
Warranty term Two year unlimited mileage
Max torque 15.19 ft-lb
Rear suspension Preload, rebound, compression
Front brake Twin 280mm discs
Front tyre size 120/70 x 17in
Rear tyre size 180/70 x 16 in

2004: Hyosung GT250 Comet and GT125 Comet launched in UK.
2005: Fully faired R versions of 250 and 125 appear.

Hyosung GT250R, GT125 Comet, GT125R.

• Hyosung GT250 Comet motorcycle review - Riding
  • HYOSUNG GT250 COMET  (2004-on)
  • Hyosung GT250 Comet motorcycle review - Engine