KAWASAKI Z750 (2003-2006) Review

Published: 23 November 2006

"Insane looks and an addictive personality that echo its bigger, madder Z1000 brother"

Kawasaki Z750 motorcycle review - Riding

The Kawasaki Z750 simply hammers its rivals of the time in the naked sector with a genuine 100 back wheel bee-aitch-pees, which it marries to insane looks and an addictive personality that echo its bigger, madder Z1000 brother. This could be the ultimate commuter.

Everything works just fine on the Z750 unless the road’s bumpy, you’re heavier than average or you ride hard. The unadjustable front’s too soft and the rear is too harsh – and twiddling the shock’s four-step rebound adjustment makes next to no difference. The two-piston brakes are budget items but effective enough to pull easy stoppies.

The Kawasaki Z750's 748cc DOHC in-line four makes 20bhp more than Honda’s Hornet 600, 13bhp more than Yamaha’s FZ6 and 30 more than Suzuki’s SV650. The motor is a sleeved down version of the factory’s ZX-9R superbike, but it feels like the perfect fit in its new home.

The Kawasaki Z750's can is prone to streaking with rust, the brakes need regular cleaning through winter and it’s hard on its tyres. Other than that the Z750 is a hassle-free ride, with service intervals spaced oddly at 600, 4000, 7500 and 12,000 miles.

In a pound-per-bhp scrap there’s not much better than a Kawasaki Z750. It’s not the bike to buy if you do a lot of distance work, but for putting a smile on your face there’s not much to touch it for the price. New bikes tumble in value, which makes them a great used buy. Find a Kawasaki Z750 for sale.

Insurance group: 13 of 17 – compare motorcycle insurance quotes now.

The best aftermarket mod for the Kawasaki Z750 is an official flyscreen – it’s not obtrusive and it makes a huge difference to distance comfort. There’s an ignition-based immobiliser as standard and a huge factory extras catalogue.

29 owners have reviewed their KAWASAKI Z750 (2003-2006) and rated it in a number of areas. Read what they have to say and what they like and dislike about the bike below.

We’re currently improving the way this section works, which means we’ve had to suspend the submission of new owners’ reviews for a short period. Please check back soon.

Incredible value

07 November 2014 by Anonymous

I saw my future Z 750 after passing a dealer and noticed a sticker price of $3,500. Thinking it must have been a misprint i took a closer inspection looking for crash damage or sky high milage but to my surprise found nothing wrong. With a lowish... Read more 33,000km and just a small scuff here and there, it was loaded with extras. I asked for a test ride and bought it on my return. Nearly 1 year on i can't fault it especially for the price. yes the suspension is a little basic but i had it tweaked by an expert and now its fine. the engine is incredible, plenty of torque and a top end that will get you locked behind bars if you can't restrain yourself! Brakes are good and again more than you'll ever need 99 percent of the time. the whole bike feels indestructible! After a diet of Ducati's, Triumphs and lots of rides on expensive, exotic, powerful and fancy race replicas. I have to say for the money, absolutely nothing comes close and in all honesty this thing is capable of doing everything a more modern, expensive high end naked will do for 95% of riders, if we are honest with our abilities. I am now a huge Kawasaki fan, engineering seems indestructible and I don't have to worry about my bike having to be treated like a garage queen. Highly recommend if you want a very fast, naked road bike that is comfortable and dependable as year round commute but thrilling enough on the odd track day and a blasting around a winding road, it truly is a universal Japanese motorcycle .Just a note, you might find the tank splays your legs very wide and it is not a light bike like a Ducati Monster or Triumph Street, the Z feels much heavier especially at a stand still, something to consider if you are on the very light/small side. The Z grows on you and the more you ride it the more you'll realise you don't need any other bike in your life.

750

13 September 2013 by IsraelsRSV

I got a 2005 z750 in 2009 with 2000 miles on the clock for 3 grand, and I must say what a bargain. It was my second bigger bike. When I first got it I didn't like it. I thought it was a nothing bike. Not a cruiser, not a sports bike, not a big... Read more trailie, just nothing. But the longer I had it I realised, its not a nothing bike, its an everything bike! Pretty good at everything! The Bike: Suspension and brakes are pretty cheap to be honest, but they work. The engine is stonking. A bit bland, but with a can sounds a bit more gruff. I had the z750 upto 150mph! I've not even had my z1000 that fast! (I'm probably abit more chicken now). Over all it is a great bike that you can do anything on. its the best in its class and in real life probably faster than newer models cause of no cat. The handling is good enough for british roads and I once kept up with a 1198 and gsxr racing each other at speeds of upto 130mph round loch lomand. But I use to go to work on it too. If I had another I'd go for the S model with more wind protection. On the other hand the 1000 is the same to tax and insure and has better suspension, brakes, has a little wind protection and more low down grunt. But if you get a good deal on a 750, what a great bike for doing everything on.

Z750S

02 November 2012 by Meaty79

I bought this 2006 S model just over a month ago for £2500 and I've got to say what a bike, it's brilliant in my opinion, it handles well, it's comfy and that engine is just amazing it'll scream with the best of them or you can short shift and let... Read more the torque pull you along. The only problem I have with mine is the mirrors, they are great for looking at my shoulders. I don't seem to get any of the vibes that other people seem to get. Over all for me a great bike.

Black 2005 Kawasaki Z750

16 June 2011 by mjlittlewood15

Bought this bike yesterday its an amazing machine very fast, but also can be very commutable only 2 thing sid say are 1 being the mirrors with the vibration, and 2 being the rear shock seems a bit stiff Read more

Z750s

25 July 2010 by csawyer

I had the older style Fazer 600 for 6 years and felt like like a change . I saw a 750s and went away and did some homework. The weak points seem to be suspension ,brakes ,comfort ,vibration and poor mirrors. I bought the bike from 3X in Dorset and... Read more they let me take it for a test ride on my own for a couple of hours first.I like everything about the bike apart from the mirrors everything was a blur and just your elbows I really found this a problem driving on the motorway I had no idea what was going on around me .I found the solution on a USA web site buy some Buell xb12r firebolt mirrors .There is a short and long shaft version the long shaft is needed or you'll still be looking at your elbows.I got my mirrors from Riders in Brisol ( a Harley dealer )They cost £50 turned up 5 days and fitted in 15 minutes and are a vast improvement part no N0013.02A8

Still going strong

18 July 2010 by KWAKZ750S

After 2 years still love this bike to bits. Still got hard ass seat and crap mirrors, but what a motor. Don't seem to suffer from the vibes everyone else is talking about. Had thought about changing this year, but can't find anything else... Read more comparable so far. If only Kawasaki did a half faired version of the new model. Great bike everywhere, town b roads etc, even did 2 laps of Isle of Man during practice week, Just doesn't disappoint at all.

It's a smiler!

13 May 2010 by Anonymous

I bought my 2006 Z750 a few months ago. it's done 8500 miles and bought it at £3000 at a dealer. I thought that was a lot of bike for the price considering coming from a dealer. Good points: Mine is the bright orange J version and looks... Read more awesome and stands out a mile. The digital dash looks amazing with it's rev meter as a curved bar and glows a evil red. Its a completely different riding style to a sportsbike which I found awkward at first but found it more fun and appealing especially on backroads and in town. It feels like you can throw it around the corners and make you feel safe doing so. The engine rev's like most in-line fours do and screams to be ridden harder and faster. Though still works wonderfully at a more steadily pace. The last owner had taken the elbow seeing wing mirrors off and put bar-end mirrors on instead. At first I didn't like them but they work so much better, don't vibrate and stops making your Z750 looking like a insect. So it's worth looking into. I have a tail tidy which really works for the bike. It shows off its backside and makes the bike look meaner than it already is. Bad Points: The main seat is alot harder than you'd expect. you can rack up the miles but you'll get a numb bum after a while. Though having said this, comparing it to my Ducati 916 its an arm chair. I do find it weird that the pillion seat is a lot softer and more comfy. My girlfriend complains that the pillion seat handle is too tight against the seat and cannot get her gloves underneath it, though I put this down to never being used and will eventually give a little. Overall: Its a mad bike and looks great. It rides really well and is a blast on the backroads. I bought this bike to stop me racking up bills and mileage of my 916. I wanted something really fun, to go a bit mental with, and know that I can thrash it without a hefty service bills and reliability issues. Its a great bike and I never thought I would buy a bright orange naked style bike. I agree with the others if your looking for something to put a smile on your face then this bike will do you justice!

It's worth fiddling with!

15 February 2010 by Milktooth

I've had mine since 2004, have over-capitalised on it heftily and don't regret a shekel spent. The engine is a peach, as is the basic balance of the bike. It's so easy to ride you find yourself going faster with far less effort in far more... Read more situations. The trick is, it steers beautifully. It's not a motorway bike, but here in New Zealand that's rarely a problem. The trouble, as your review says, is crude suspension. You could also have added that the seat is a proctologist's nightmare. Mine now has an Ohlins rear, a Racetech revalve on the front and a very discrete Corbin saddle to replace said instrument of torture. A tail tidy and carbon pipe (Shark have some beauties) improve the aesthetics of what's actually a very good-looking bike. It's certainly better resolved visually than the cluttered later model. I love mine now and don't want to sell it. Last year I did a bit of a streetfighter black-out on it – didn't even replace the badging. The brakes could be better but I might just stick some braided hoses on and then go have a lie down. Rust is a bit of an issue so you need to stay on top of that. Anyway, I now have a bike that works like a fat, fast motard; great round town and in twisties. I don't do track days - maybe I should. It would cope but might feel a little odd. It's a bike for the road.

Z750S

25 May 2009 by KWAKZ750S

Bought a 2005 s model last summer as a replacement for my er-5 which I had racked up 15000 miles in a year. less of a commute these days and even with the odd weekend blast, I've only done 4500miles. Great engine with a decent amount of grunt and... Read more decent handling. suspension os okay, far better than the ER, but I'm not too sure how it compares with anything else out there, cos I haven't tried anything else apart from a 650 Bandit. The only down sides are that the seat can be a bit hard after a couple of hours and the mirrors are fucking useless unless you want to see your shoulders. Overall, docile enough to potter around town and fast enough to scare you shitless oun the open road.

GaryZ

14 February 2009 by garyZ

bought the bike new in 2005.mainly for loks and price.Done 12000 miles now and it still makes me grin every time i ride it.Exhaust note is lovely but i fitted a stubby cambell cuestom and it now sounds fantastic.also fitted fly screen which helps,but... Read more agree with rest mirrors are rubbish.Power delivery is good can keep up with most gr8 round town and on A roads but not so good on motoways.Can't think of a better allrounder

Year introduced 2003
Year discontinued 2006
Original price -
Engine type 16v in-line four, 6 gears
Frame type Steel diamond
Front suspension None
Rear suspension Preload, rebound
Front brake Twin 300mm discs

2003: Kawasaki Z750 launched, replaced the dull-as-dishwater ZR-7 in Kawasaki’s line-up as its naked 750.
2006: Kawasaki Z750 deleted replaced the following year by an all-new model (see seperate review).

Kawasaki Z750S: Same machine with the addition of a somewhat clumsy-looking, though effective, top fairing.

• Kawasaki Z750 motorcycle review - Instruments