SUZUKI GSX650F (2007-on) Review

Published: 21 March 2008

"Budget and novice-friendly all-rounder proves that sometimes, brilliance is found in the most unlikely places"

Suzuki GSX650F review action

Suzuki’s new budget and novice-friendly GSXF650F all-rounder proves that sometimes, brilliance is found in the most unlikely places. Although on face value merely a ‘Bandit with a fairing’ the GSX650F’s blend of real world performance, practicality, fun factor and value is pretty much unmatched anywhere.

Watch the Suzuki GSX650F take on the Honda CBF600S and the Kawasaki ER-6F

Watch Suzuki's GSX650F take on a Yamaha R6

The Suzuki GSX650F’s chassis is, for the most part, Bandit 650, too, being centred around the same, no frills, cost-conscious steel tube cradle and conventional forks. Yet in GSX-F guise it gets a more sophisticated shock for added sporting ability and subtly adjusted poise thanks to the fairing, new one-piece, rubber-mounted, lower bars plus new one-piece seat that all adds up to a riding position and balance that is both textbook sports-tourer and somehow impressively pure, too.

The Suzuki GSX650F’s 16-valve, dohc four was all-new in the 2007 650 Bandit, is Euro3 clean, slick and responsive and, most pertinently, tuned for real-world versatility but with an exhilarating top end rush. Fuelling mods means it revs a little higher than the Bandit, although performance is unchanged. Peak power of 85bhp spread progressively over the rev range and decent enough grunt low down means this is a powerplant that’s sufficiently willing and able whatever the gear or your ham-fistedness, yet still rewards with three-figure thrills.

Usual Suzuki standard, which is no bad thing on a sub-£5K bike. Everything gleams and is crisply assembled and from 20 yards you’d easily mistake the GSX650F for a much more expensive machine. Mechanicals and cycle parts are all proven Bandit fare so there should be no reliability issues. Job done.

There’s not other way of putting it: Suzuki’s new GSX650F is astonishingly good value. Where Bandits and the like, though hugely worthy, are still conspicuously ‘budget’ bikes, the GSX650F somehow seems entirely classier and more valuable. It’s no GSX-R, of course, but for under five big ones it’s a steal… Find a Suzuki GSX650F for sale.

Insurance group: 12 of 17 – compare motorcycle insurance quotes now.

The key distinguishing feature of the Suzuki GSX650F is, of course, the fairing which at once manages to evoke and mimic GSX-R sportsbike style, provide decent protection from the elements and blend into the whole motorcycle as if the whole design was a clean sheet affair. But there are plenty of other goodies rare on a sub-£5K machine: span-adjustable brake and clutch levers; effective, widely-spaced mirrors; swanky GSX-R style sports instruments (a large analogue tacho flanked by the now usual LCD digital speedo, useful fuel gauge, plus assorted warning lights).

26 owners have reviewed their SUZUKI GSX650F (2007-on) and rated it in a number of areas. Read what they have to say and what they like and dislike about the bike below.

Review your SUZUKI GSX650F (2007-on)

Cracking all rounder

02 August 2016 by Matt

Cracking all rounder. Owned from new and done all 19k miles on her. 4k touring Europe, 1.5k Scotland with pillion for a week where it happily cruised at 120. Done Nurburgring, Donington, Castle Combe, Llandow. Not a perfect tourer, not a fast racer, but a good all rounder that can hold its own. I also own an r1 but kinda prefer this one, it's heavy but feels light and agile against the r1 (4c8). A cracking comfortable all rounder that offers great value for money.

It's made cheap which means steel not ally, stuff like that. Means it's heavy but it's also solid. I don't think I've ever had any problem with anything, always starts first time, still on first battery, don't think I've even ever changed a bulb
Not much comes with it in 09 but what do you want at that price?

Bought from fowlers of Bristol in Oct 09 for £4700 and interest free credit. Win.

best looking all-rounder

30 March 2016 by gsxgazza

excellent commuter and tourer, highly recommend to especially newly passed bikers.

best after run in, smoother and everything is settled down. take a quick break at every fill up!
no problems encountered with this
fairing is missing that 'little something' otherwise does what its asked to do
cheap as chips to run, easily does 150miles+ on a tank, even with panniers, tyres last over 18months,
the fairing is the best feature, makes the bike look 'the part', fairing needs something added to it, change the bridgestones to continental conti motions, improve the seat for comfort and arse grip to stop the sliding!

dealer, £6300.

01 January 2016 by Paul

This is my first bike after completing my Direct Access Course. I looked at lots of different types of second hand bikes and spent a bit more than my budget but I'm very happy with my choice. The bike looks great and people often stop and ask me about it. I've toyed with the idea of changing my bike but its hard to beat on smiles and performance for the money.

Very smooth engine and more than enough power for my first bike.
Bike has never let me down in 2 years of riding apart from the idiot van driver who knocked me off. Dealer was excellent in returning the bike to it's original condition but it was in the workshop for a couple of months.
A centre stand would be nice but still not got round to putting one on. Rear hugger helps the bike clean, especially when caught out in a shower.

Bought a '09 plate second hand bike from a Suzuki Dealer & was happy with the deal, new tyres (they were looking a little low on tread), 4k service & tank of fuel to be included.

Best do-all machine out there!

29 October 2015 by SilverD

Great low and mid range torque. Super comfortable upright riding. Suspension may not be top of the line, but it absorbs everything you can throw at it. Stock seat is one of the best out there. You can ride all day with this GSX, but it has all the makings of a sport bike, without the sore back.

Only drawback are the rear brakes, not super strong, but they work.
Smooth power delivery from the fuel injection.Lots of power. Cannot believe how smooth and quiet this bike is!
Awesome seat. The instrument cluster is top notch, with fuel gauge, 2 trip meters, odometer, and a clock. large digital speedo is awesome, get your speed at a quick glance.

Private sale, $3600 Canadian dollars.

Mr

19 June 2015 by Martin

Riding position is really comfortable but at high speeds the screen gives little protection. Paint quality on frame etc is rubbish, but I'm picking holes. I love this bike and have ridden it through the winter, abs really works good.

Abs is fab
This thing can move, much quicker than my GS850 lol.
Better paint job
Would like a change gear indicator

A dealership bought bike, really pleasant experience, Bike and clothing £4800. Bargain.

Class act!!!!!

16 January 2013 by nfr57

Read the MCN review on this bike and saw the Cris Moss video review, bought a new one in Feb 2012 in all black....cracking bike, have used it for touring, Sunday blasts and trackdays. Its no GSXR but its not meant to be....class act!!!!

first great bike

31 July 2011 by Anonymous

i brought the gsx650f about 18 mounths ago,and im over the moon with it. its my first big bike. to start with,theres no vibrations to speak of.the gearchange is very smooth and forgiving.ive had the bike rolling at 3mph and still very up right steady and smooth, the engine is very relaxed. the bike is very shore footed at speed,and comfortable as well.weight i feel is not a problem, not as bad as some others in this class of bike. where i live, i get lot of cross winds on the roads. but she holds very steady.at speed the bike is very responsive to the smallest of inputs. but you can have a bit of fun too,she dose not take long to get to top end,good i would say for a track day or two.i took the big can off, and put a smaller one on. sounds good. the bike has aways started first time. the lights and indicators do there job.i must say the head light is top marks at night,better then some cars ive had.theres plenty comfortable room for the lady or man at the back seat.just be aware of the side stand,seems weak locking in place.motor bikes at this price need to be looked after in quality terms. a little wd40 after a wash down helps a great deal.paint work could be thicker,as my little boy put that to the test with his match box car as it hit the top of the petrol tank. my eyes just poped out with springs on.what can you say.at the end of the day , it dose what it says at the back of the tin and a little bit more if you want.this bike is a jack of all trades, but master of non.a good alrounder for the money.there are some very good bikes out there,some better then the gsx650f.to me the bikes got a lot of pluses for the price i paid.im i looking for another bike, no.i well keep for a long time. suzuki has a gem,and thats the gsx650f. my future wish is gsx650f with lighter frame and slightly droped handle bars,a poor mans sports bike with pactablity.just like to say thank you stamford super bikes now wheels for selling me a great bike.

Fabulous learner bike!

27 July 2011 by lagpie01

I'm new to riding motorcycles (I used to ride a scooter, so it doesn't count), and I researched extensively before buying this bike. It has just enough power to make it interesting, handles very well and is very forgiving. A little heavy, for sure, but reasonable. And it looks really, really nice for a bike at that price range! Plus, the ABS is a major bonus when you live in rainy Vancouver, so for that money, you won't find anything safer for sure... In short, I love it. It will keep me satisfied for a looooooong time!

Great all rounder

20 April 2011 by birch466

I had this bike as my first bike, brand new and with a good deal 0% and £99 for the 1st year insurance. I took the bike for a test rise the weekend after I passed my test, and it took a while to get used to the fairing being on, but i fell in love with it. not long after buying it I sold my car and braved the weather over winter. I am so glad I bought this bike, it is nice and comfy-until the 1hr30 mark, where I have a quick stretch of the legs and all is good. My family are all over, and the bike hasnt once let me down, there is a little bit of surface rust but that cant be helped. All in all it is a nice bike and good one up tourer. My step dad has the 1250 version and they look identical.

BEST FIRST TIME BIG BIKE

01 June 2010 by BUSA666

wish i would have had the choice of this as my first big bike when i first started... it ticks all the boxes... looks good, fast enough, and the right price.. Suzuki have hit it spot on with this bike.

top bike

10 May 2010 by gsxwarby

Had bike one month now done over 2000 miles. my last bike was er6 had that 18 month did 2500 miles. as you might think i love the GSX 650F its safe fast and fun to ride.

Final Review

18 April 2010 by wombat4

It has gone now after two years and 33000 miles it was a brilliant bike still looked pretty good after two winters. The only bad bits were the monstrosity exhaust always getting in the way and the fact that you couldn't see the clock at the same time as the odo. I previously had an ER6F and have just replaced the Suzuki with an XJ6 Diversion - my recommendation - buy the GSX650F Brilliant Bike.

First Big Bike

19 November 2009 by madasaskaven

Having just passed my test I wanted a suitable first big bike. And the bike training school I used told me to take a look at one of these. I fell in love with it stright away. If your looking for that fist big bike then you can be asured you'll love riding this. I'm only 5.8" so I'm not crapmed up and find the riding possition good. I've just bought a bigger screen to help deflect some of the wind away from my shoulders, as thats the only issue I have with this bike.

Great Bike for Montana Roads

15 November 2009 by Anonymous

This is a great bike. I pruchased it in April 2009 and put over 5,000 miles on it this summer. There is plenty of power when I need it and it's comfortable on long trips. It turns heads too.

gsx650f

20 October 2009 by AFSHIN

The best first time biker.

My first Bike

16 October 2009 by pamfs1

Hello everyone! :) I justed wanted to say that I have bought Suzuki GSX 650F (2008 model) as my first bike! :) Partially thanks to article :) I actually got my education on Ninja 600R, but i find it quite nervious and very light weighted... Suzuki, is very balanced, very stable, i feel very safe having the weight under me :)It is very calm, i am able to release the gas without any problems and keep going... i am actually used to keeping my right hand free more than the left one - cougld't do that with Ninja. GSX650F is yet quite powerful, it was always able to get me going fast! Aceleration is a blast ! and i am still running within the first 1000km, so i can't go up in to the high revs...but i must say, this bike forgives you the wrong gears, and i am able to drive on 4-5th gear about 40 km/h without realizing it... it may be a little bit heavy for newcommers, or short people...but it has really grown on me...I have stoped feeling it after about 100 km. It was heavy on the feet though, at the first week. But i did manage to do the figure of 8 and etc for the driving exam on kawasaki 600R without anyproblems on the first go after driving Suzuki... Sure GSX650F is not very agile, but on the motorway it is extremely pleasent to drive, and even in the city it takes the curves great! it is just not light enough for traffic madness...but maybe, it's just me not being skilled enough. Breaks are great, and the engine aids a lot in stopping power. Plus you feel almost no vibrations from the engine. in total - GREAT bike, i love it. I actually bought it without ever trying it...and i was pleasently surprised! The funny thing is: At first my driving instructed said it was a bad idea getting a big bike as the first...he said it is too clumsy, too big for the city...so i gave him to try it for 30 minutes in the city traffic. And he told me that when i decide to sell it in the future...i should talk to him :) Haha ha He was very impressed with it too... And just if you are interested ...why km and all...I am Russian, and I live and drive in Italy :) PS: i was considering Yamaha too...but i saw a FZ6R crashed on the day i was getting a motocycle...and i thought it was a bad sign... PSS: GSX650F is not a common bike...which means that it is less likely to be stolen. Cause here a lot of motorbikes are stolen and then sold for parts at the black market...especially this is common for popular models.... I will be glad if someone finds my comments usefull.- oh...GSX650F also has a fuel and gear gauge...very useful to me :)

GSX650F 8,000 miles in

15 August 2009 by Colin1009

I have had my GSX650F for 8 months now and done 8,000 miles so feel I can make a proper assessment of the Bike. Compaired to my previous GSF650 (air cooled) it feels so much betterin all respects and the only thing similar id the fuel consumption at 55mpg. I have done 650 miles in a day without hardly any discomfort, the bike has been very reliable and NO problems at all. I paid £4K new for mine in January so value is six stars. The GOOD. For back to biking (BAMBIE) it is brill. Fast enough, good brakes, good handeling, looks good, and easy to ride. Beware at 220KG it is heavy, so care required when moving it arround the garage and beward of the side stand. Make sure it is locked down as I have and many others dropped the bike because of this. Bad Points. The exhaust is horrable, good news for £120 I got a fuel exhaust and bike looks and sounds much better. The BT020 tyres are no good. When worn out (4.5K on mine) get Dunlop roadsmarts. Handle brill and a wearing much better. So if you are looking for a good but cheap Sports/tourer you have to consider this bike.

My GSX650f

12 August 2009 by wombat4

This is my third review of the GSX650F which has now covered 25000 miles I love it to bits, as you can see by the mileage I have really used it. Apart from a duff microswitch on the clutch lever which stopped it starting it has never missed a beat. It is really comfortable, economical I get around 55MPG and I don't hang about, so smooth and quiet. It handles brilliantly and the Dunlop Roadsmarts that I have fitted grip brilliantly wet or dry 14,000 out of the front and 10,000 out of the rear. I cannot recommend this bike highly enough if you want an everyday bike as I said I love it.

SUZUKI MAKE AN 1100 VERSION WITH LIGHT WEIGHT SHFT DRIVE

23 July 2009 by sportsboyuk

COME BOYS YOU CAN DO IT

Jack of all trades

21 May 2009 by Dave888uk

Have done over 2000 trouble free miles riding this machine, no faults no problems excellent value if you own a GSX650F there is a UK based owners club http://www.gsx650f.me.uk

I Love this Bike!

31 March 2009 by papalazerou

I picked up my bike two weeks ago from the dealer and right from the outset I have had trouble-free, brilliant riding. It pulls off so smoothly and confidently, the engine never complains, even if you are accidently in the wrong gear, there is enough weight between your legs to feel really secure at speed, and the pillions I have taken on the back say they feel very secure there. It is a fantastic bike, you get so much for your money!

Back to Biking

31 December 2008 by kev650

Just picked up my 650 this week, first bike after a long lay off. So far - great . Rode 105 miles back from showroom with no problems. Really pleased with decision to buy

Great Bike

20 December 2008 by wombat4

I am updating this review having owned the bike for 9 months now. I do cover quite a few more miles than average and the bike has now done 14000. It is still a very good bike, comfortable, smooth, handles very well. I do a lot of motorway miles and it does this very well returning 55-60 MPG if you keep in 2 figures. The size of the Exhaust can is a problem as it does get in the way in traffic, I might change it for this reason. The finish seems pretty good, I am a bit sceptical about the mild steel exhaust though. Dunlop Roadsmart seem to work well on it. Overall I am very impressed and will keep the bike until 2010. I still wish that the Instruments were capable of showing time at the same time as the odometer.

My First Big Bike

13 December 2008 by ratboyab

After my girlfriend passing her restricted licence and paying for me to take my test, I decided to get a bigger more exciting bike. Before this I was riding her Honda CG125 and for the last few weeks her mother's Kawasaki EL252 F2. Just to give a bit of informtaion into what I am using this bike for. Basically I have a very nice car, but it's a 2.5 litre V6 petrol and due to the economic slow-down and me being in and out of work alot, I can't afford to keep using it for the 30-mile trip to work each day when I'm only getting at most 30mpg (generally more around 25mpg). So I've mainly brought the bike for commuting to work, so I wanted something that is good around town and economical. On the other hand I have a passion for driving and speed, so I also wanted a bike that can be fun. I'd also like to take it abroad touring so again, it had to be comfortable. Now my original plan was to buy a GSX-R600. It's a bike I've alway's wanted, I love the look's the power, the handling, it's just alway's been my dream bike. The only problem is they aren't really designed for the daily commute. The bike's I did my test on I didn't find particularly comfortable due to the riding position so I wanted something a little more upright for them longer journey's. After seeing the GSX-650F, I fell in love, it had all the styling of GSX-R, but had the more comfortable seating position. To be honest, the photo's do not do this bike justice. There are quite a few bikes out there now that are 125's immitating big bike's, and they look good but you know there not a big bike, and to be honest that is kinda how this bike look's in some of the photo's, I think mainly because it doesn't look that wide. But upon seeing it in person, it doesn't give that impression at all. I actually brought this bike without test-riding it and actually brought it from Yorkshire and rode it all the way home to Kent, about 230 miles at only 2 degrees. Admittedly, it wasn't a very nice journey, but the GSX-F made it so much more enjoyable. The ride was so much better than I expected. The power throughout the range is astonishing on this bike. I can sit at 30mph in 6th gear, open the throttle and it will still pull fine. Or if I want to boot it, 2nd gear will gladly reach 70mph. On the way back we pulled into a couple of service station's and I was just crawling around the road's at about 15mph thinking I was in 2nd and I was sitting in 4th, and it just felt so comfortable. It's a lovely bike on the motorway's and has plenty of power and the seat is very comfortable. Now using the bike for the daily commute it is actually a great bike. I was concerned that being over 100kg's heavier than the previous bike's I'd riden that it may be a bit awkward filtering through traffic and crawling around but it's so well balanced it feel's like a much lighter bike. The fuel tank has a 19litre capacity which will get you around 200 miles. Taking it around country lanes it handle's so much better than a city bike, it's so responsive, even though my brother has alway's owned sport's bike's, when he had a ride of it, he said it handled pretty much like a sport's bike. The technology has come along alot since my brother had his last CBR. The rev counter although analogue, is actually electronic and you can set up a rev-light to alert you that you have reached your desired rev's. When adjusting this the rev-counter needle spin's round to 6,000rpm and each press of the button takes it another 500rpm. After this you can set-up whether you want the light off, on, or blinking and even change how bright you want the light in 5 stages. Unlike older bike's you have a digital fuel guage, digital odometer, didgital speedometer, two trip meter's and even a reserve trip meter. What this does is as soon as the petrol dip's below the reserve level, it start's counting how many mile's you have done so you know roughly how far you have until the tank is completely empty. Now for the downside's. As good as the digital display is, the main downside is that is doesn't permanently display the clock, if you want to know how many miles you have done, you have to lose the clock. Another problem with the digital display is the bottom's are very small and hard to push when wearing gloves. One feature that would have been nice is a stopwatch as my last two car's have had them and it would have just been a nice addition. Another downside is the mirror's. They could do with being a little longer as you spend alot of time's staring at your shoulder's. The only other downside I can find with this bike is it's lack of storage space. Basically, you have room under the seat for the tool kit (just about), and that's it, there is no other storage on the bike at all. All in all, this bike is absolutely superb, the only fault's aren't really fault's, they are just niggle's. But I love it! As a newbie to the big bike's, it is so easy to handle and is a great introduction, but as you learn to ride, it is so much more, when you push it, it will thrill you, it will try to scare you, but all the time keeping you just from going over the top and making you lose control. It'll take you to the edge but not take you over. I think people who already own bigger bike's will also love this. It recently won bike of the year and I can see why!

My Cruiser is gone

09 May 2008 by appleins

Can you believe it, I switched from a 1100 Honda Sabre cruiser to this 2008 GSX650F. After 1500 miles I love every second riding this bike. Handling, braking, gas mileage and everything else I can think of is better on this bike. I've added a center stand and mirror extenders. Fun factor for me is way off of the charts. One small request, Suzuki should of made it easier to drain front oil and replace.

GSX650F

26 April 2008 by wombat4

A very good bike if a little bland for a Suzuki. I have done 3000 miles in the 6 weeks I have owned it. It handles very well, I get around 220 miles on a tankful without really trying ~(55-60 MPG). Its very comfortable the mirrors are excellent (compared with my previous ER6-f)the gearbox is the usual Suzuki excellence. The engine is so smooth it pulls from tickover yet has a useful top end now that it has freed off. (It does concern me where people don't use their bikes because in my experience it takes 4 to 5000 miles to the engine to fully free up) My major issues are that it is too quiet and very difficult to judge your speed without constant reference to the speedo, the lack of underseat storage (Why?) and the lack of a constantly visible clock in the display (you have to choose between Clock or odo.

Year introduced 2007
Warranty term Two year unlimited mileage
Max torque 45.6 ft-lb
Engine type 16v transverse four, 6 gears
Frame type Tubular steel double cradle
Front suspension Preload