SUZUKI GSX750F (1998-2005) Review

Published: 24 November 2006

"A competent sports tourer with one of the worst images in biking"

Suzuki GSX750F motorcycle review - Riding

"A competent sports tourer with one of the worst images in biking"

The Suzuki GSX750F is a competent sports tourer with one of the worst images in biking (its nickname is “the teapot”). Renowned for being ugly and lacking passion, the Suzuki GSX750F is certainly underdog to the likes of the Honda VFR750/800s but owners love them and their “quirky” looks. The Suzuki GSX750F may not be hardcore but it’s reliable.

The Suzuki GSX750F is a heavy beast and, twinned with budget suspension, the ride can be wallowy. Steering’s a bit laboured but, generally, the handling’s not too bad. The brakes are passable but the gearbox is great: plenty of smooth precision. Comfort’s a strong point on the Suzuki GSX750F and there’s plenty of room for pillion and luggage.

The Suzuki GSX750F hosts a “retuned” GSX-R engine, it’s flat at lower revs, only coming alive after around 5000rpm. But it’s got considerable power and a very decent top speed, validating its position as a sports tourer (performance figures are very close to those of Honda’s VFR). The Suzuki GSX750F's delivery is silky smooth and reliability is excellent.

The Suzuki GSX750F's bodywork’s pretty budget but seems to stand the test of time fairly well: there are many high mileage models out there. Complaints about the Suzuki GSX750F are few and far between and the strong engine is singled out for lots of praise. It’s also easy (and therefore cheap) to work on.

There’s plenty of power and motorcycle for the money but Suzuki GSX750Fs don’t hold their value too well. Great news if you’re a buyer though… Suzuki GSX750Fs are cheap to run and boast excellent fuel economy, especially if you tone it down a bit. The Suzuki GSX750F's sports touring rivals, across the board, all cost a hell of a lot more. Find a Suzuki GSX750F for sale.

Insurance group: 12 of 17 – compare motorcycle insurance quotes now.

There’s a centrestand but some Suzuki GSX750F owners reckon it’s difficult to utilise… The Suzuki GSX750F’s weight won’t help. The huge fairing provides protection and the screen works for all but the tallest riders. The large tank is a bonus for long journeys. Post 2004 Suzuki GSX750Fs got a funkier tail end, headlight, mudguard and seat.

20 owners have reviewed their SUZUKI GSX750F (1998-2005) and rated it in a number of areas. Read what they have to say and what they like and dislike about the bike below.

Review your SUZUKI GSX750F (1998-2005)

Does what it says on the can.

11 June 2015 by Darren Molloy

The GSX750F K6 is a brilliant bike when held within its intended use and category. Obviously it is not a super sport poster toy nor was intended to ever be anything of the sort but if you want a bike that is capable and wears many hats well then this... Read more is the bike - ok you won't win bragging rights but this is a bike for the roads we all have to share and live on. The GSX750F is the modest mans ever reliable work horse doing what all good bikes should with no angry moments, its quick and fast but in a dignified manner. The question now is - am I happy I have one in the shed waiting for the next fine days ride "you bet I am" As for the looks I think GSX750F 2006 is one great looking bike quirky but traditional.

It is not a race bike so don't treat it like one. Your hands and wrists might get sore on longer journeys as the bars seem to load your wrists.
Good low down power for in town then really comes alive above 7000rpm
Change the oil and filter every six months and you're good to go. keep the service schedule up-to-date and it is one bullet proof machine.
Insurance is cheap enough
Suzuki has a way of never getting the build quality right and on this bike they excelled in places. The paint in places is thin and easily chipped (like on the wheels and forks) I have Pirelli tyres and they are brilliant.

Private purchase with 34k on the clock

Odometer stuck

03 June 2012 by Anonymous

I'm dissapointed. The odometer got stuck st 99,999. I felt like I was robbed. I estimate it now has 150,000k on it. Just replace the consumables and get back on the road. I'm 6'3" and have ridden it every day. The side stand - well you just... Read more stand on it hard. The bike has been parked outside at work in the Aussie sun. I think next services is going to be discs, tyres, brake pads, chain and sprockets. Looking at the prices, for $4000 I can go get another one with only 20,000k and see if I can lock up another odometer!

OK

28 October 2011 by InTheRealWorld

After writing off my last bike due to an inconsiderate deer crossing my path needed a new sports tourer. My decision to plump for the GSXF was decided totally on budget. Picked up a 2001 with 21k for £1100. VFR800s were easily double that and... Read more sometimes more even for a 98. Having owned a VFR800 I was disappointed I couldn't stretch to get another one. However I was surprised by this. Way more low down power and similar but not quite as significant top end rush. The power is more accessible but it won't keep up with similar sized bikes flat out and easily eclipsed by litre plus bikes. Probably due to the weight of the bike, plus my 15 stone more than any faults with the engine itself! More comfortable, but felt heavy and less darty into the corners. Terrible standard screen, being 6'3 might make me bias though. 150 miles from a tank about right. Does what you need and looking objectively I don't know of any other bike that delivers as much for the same price.

solid all rounder

06 September 2011 by invertedmatt

This was my first bike. Heavy, bulbous dated looks and a massive exhaust all belie a solid all rounder. The one outstanding feature is the super powerful engine which, despite its aged design is sheer fun, especially when in the powerband. The bike's... Read more sidestand has a tendancy to tip forward when the machine is idling and drop with little warning. Reliability is awesome as is the price. Not great for a new rider due to high power and weight but still worth a look for many.

Suzuki GSX750F

07 May 2011 by Bluesplayer59

The best bike ive owned to date . Engine is a beauty . Very smooth and sweet , but the best bit is the mid range . From 4000 it pulls like a Pullman . I leave this thing in top and cruise everywhere up the steepest of hills without any chew . The... Read more handline is superb to . I do most of my riding 2 up and i get no wallowing and scary moments . Brakes are mint to . Fuel economy is acceptable . I love the looks of this beast to . A real proper muscle bike that will not let you down .Only bad bits if i had to pick something is maybe the finish on painted areas . Like most Jap machines it flakes off , but its easy sorted . Agreat bike .

what's it like to live with

13 July 2009 by roosterman

This is a good bike, often underated by those who've never owned one. There's nothing flash about it but it does what it's been designed to do very well. The engine is great, revving freely and reasonably smoothly. I had no problem regularly holding... Read more it at 190 km/h on the freeway. The gearbox is quite smooth but I also found it somewhat inconsistent. Ride is a bit soft but can be firmed up. Handling is predictable but not as stable as a bigger bike. I found the bike a bit tight for my height (6'1"). Equipment is pretty basic, but the price is relatively low so that's fine. Quality was ok; nothing to complain about but nothing outstanding either. I had the odd elctrical niggle but nothing major. An honest bike that grows on you the longer you own it. The only bike I've ever bought a second time. Personally I think it looks better than most modern sports-tourers (I had a red then a black one), and the only reason I sold the second one was to buy a bigger bike for two-up touring.

2 Good years

18 June 2009 by Bigdog365

Bought my GSX750F two years ago this month, a week after I passed my test. It was 8 years old then, with 19,000 on the clock. It's now over 30,000. The engine is 100% reliable, and has never missed a beat, but it does suffer a little from carb... Read more icing at start up when it's very cold weather. The handling could be sharper, but it was never meant for racing, so I guess that's to be expected. The biggest failing is the brakes, which have a habit of binding, and are not the best even when they're working ok. Don't get me wrong, it stops, but not as quickly as it could. It's a great bike for long days out and touring, as it's really comfy, and on a run I've had over 50mpg too! I'm loking for a change soon, and the only question for me is, what do I get to better the GSX?

easy an cheap

24 February 2009 by H2pots

i owned a 1999 gsx750f for 4 years. i had mine as a second bike for 2 up touring. at the time funds were the deciding factor as to what the second bike ws gonna be. plumped for a gsx because i could get a cheap low mileage bike that i knew i could do... Read more all the servicing and repairs on. what a bargain... the gsx did it all, 2 up camping holidays, 2 week tours and all day riding. ive upgraded to a 1200 bandit now, mostly because 2 up riding destoyed the performance of the gsx. comfort on the gsx was great, me and her indoors could ride all day and still feel fresh at the end of the day. reliability was superb, i did all the work on the gsx, it never went into a dealers for anything. things to look out for: look at exhaust collecter, prone to corrosion, keep it clean, keep it painted. keep your eye on front brakes, they need stripping every year, old hat brakes that need to be in tip top shape to be even adequate, rest of it is just normal servicing. the bike is nissan reliable, easy an forgiving to ride, low seat height (will suit shorties), handles ok and is cheap to buy and fix. the engine will do great miles if looked after (old gsxr750 motor)and even has good weather protection but you'll work a bit harder with the gearbox when you're riding 2 up... it's a pretty good bike though, even if it seen as a poor mans vfr

Look further than looks

18 February 2009 by Bosunthedog

Yes the GSX 750F is ugly damn ugly but look further at the bike and what you get is a lot of bike and as a novice you feel confident riding it. No its not gixer fast off the mark the top end is plenty fast enough. There are great bargains out their... Read more and you get more bhp for the same insurance as el bandito 6's. Be safe and enjoy!!!

CBT and 3 lessons later...

18 October 2008 by DaftAlly

Got this recommended by a biking mate. I only got my licence recently because I was too stupid before- but the doc says I'm ok now. It was recommended as a user friendly, economical, reliable straightforward bike which would teach me about the feel... Read more of a bike. It is doing all these things. Perhaps the marking by owners is often a bit high, because this bike is often rated by new riders or riders returning after a break. The GSXF won't set the world on fire, but it has a nice flat torque curve, smooth oil tight engine, quiet until I get a decent can and generally novice friendly. I thought is was scary fast to begin with, but now I see it is a fairly long bike which weighs a bit, so the front wheel is unlikely to come up. I'm not glad I got the 750, as I think I'd be bored with the 600, and I also like the low down flexibility of the engine. It will go to 12k (revs), but it's done it's best by 10.5k, so no point screaming it. The brakes are good and progressive, but the forks dive more than I would like. Perhaps progressive springs are on the cards. The controls are all smooth and easy to use. The bike seems to handle well, but it's weight means dropping into a turn is not as fast as sports bikes, but on the Bridgestons BT021s, it is stable, predictable and grips well. I couldn't ask for more. Wind protection is good now I have a double bubble screen (they need this). Avoid flip-ups for the GSXF, I've been told. So far I've managed a maximum 2000 miles a month. Although the headlights are good for a bike, I fitted Philips Extreme power headlamp bulbs- very good now. I have yet to find an ignition advancer for it as standard it will accept 91 RON. There is good space for throwover painers and a pillion, and being 6'3", I like having to reach for the bars slightly. The suspension is a nice compromise, but it is a little unsophisticated. I'm getting usually about 135 miles without having to use the 5 litre reserve, but I suppose I do make good progress. When touring, about 150 miles is as far as I want to go and need a 15 minute stop. The chicken lines have all but dissapeared now- testimony that even a clot can ride this. Easy to work on and straightforward. Even the fairings only takes about 20-25 minutes to remove and refit which allows the real work to take place. If I was doing less mileage or weekend only stuff, then I'd have a Bandit. I'm not so this fits just fine for a year or so more until I find a Guzzi to rack up the miles. Maybe a Duke for weekend jaunts as well.

Year introduced 1998
Year discontinued 2005
Original price -
Engine type 16v inline four, 6 gears
Frame type Steel double cradle
Front suspension Rebound
Rear suspension Preload and rebound
Front brake Twin 290mm discs

1989: Suzuki GSX750F launched.
1998: Suzuki GSX750F completely updated with engine modifications, a new exhaust, new fairing and bodywork, headlight, seat and fuel tank.
2004: Suzuki GSX750F gets new mudguard at the front, updated tail section, new seat and headlight.
2005: Suzuki GSX750F discontinued.

Suzuki GSX600F: Originally launched as a sports bike in 1988, the 600 got a major overhaul (in 1998, like the 750) and gradually fell in to the sports tourer bracket. Visually, very similar to the Suzuki GSX750F. Discontinued in 2002.

• Suzuki GSX750F motorcycle review - Brakes