SUZUKI INAZUMA 250 (2013-on) Review

Published: 20 March 2014

A worthy commuter with classy touches – the trouble is the price

SUZUKI INAZUMA 250  (2013-on)

A worthy commuter with classy touches – the trouble is the price

Due to these trying economic time, the thought of a worthy 250 commuter, a workhorse, is certainly more appealing to riders than ever before. The Inazuma fills that role brilliantly. It’s effective, idiot-proof and economical and its classy touches, badge, two-year warranty and more lift it above the general morass. The trouble is the price. We aren’t convinced that the Inazuma is cheap enough or, alternatively, sporty and appealing enough either. With a bit more poke it could have possibly have justified its price, but as it stands it needs a bit more of a sparkle.

The old-school tubular frame, bog basic spindly forks and preload-adjustable rear shock are nothing to shout about and just get on with the job. I’ve no complaints on that score. But while I can respect all that, and while the Inazuma makes a thoroughly acceptable fist of transporting me along all kinds of roads, there’s virtually nothing to get excited about, either. It does the job, pleasantly, that’s it.

The Inazuma isn’t getting the most performance out of its 248cc parallel twin engine, it’s about delivering just enough for economic transport and no more. The motor is thoroughly modern in some aspects (water-cooling, fuel injection), yet decidedly old fashioned and ‘anti-performance’ in others (sohc, long-stroke configuration). It thrums along merrily enough, and will happily top 65mpg, but by the same token seldom excites or even makes you raise an eyebrow in anticipation…

Reliability shouldn’t be an issue, finish might.

Good, but not outstanding value.

The instruments are classy and you get a gear indicator and fuel gauge. No ABS.

5 owners have reviewed their SUZUKI INAZUMA 250 (2013-on) and rated it in a number of areas. Read what they have to say and what they like and dislike about the bike below.

Review your SUZUKI INAZUMA 250 (2013-on)

Inazuma GW250, yes ... it's become a great friend of mine

06 November 2016 by KitCarr

Happy to recommend, in fact my son has mine out now for a day long ride! The bike 'just felt right' when I got on it and took it for a test ride - and that was after 35 years of NOT riding. Everything falls easily to hand (and foot) the clutch and... Read more gear change are light and smooth, the front disc is powerful without being savage and the rear disc makes for balanced high speed stops ... and real smooth hill starts and U turns! For 'my use' round town and weekend touring it's an ideal bike ... and my son who covers many times more kms (and at higher speeds than I do) finds it nippy and tight handling so that he enjoys it too.

I'd say it excels at being a good allrounder ! In the city I tend not to get beyond 4th gear, that keeps it pulling really well and also helps me not to exceed the speed limit. On the open road the 6 gears mean it copes with 100kph in a relaxed manner ( NZ National speed limit) and it still have some to spare! I've done 240kms without a stop ... would have been further but bike needed fuel and it was never going to make it to the next fuel - as that was about 80kms distant and the fuel gauge was flashing!
It's really quite smooth from low in the rev range and, once I'd adjusted the clutch cable to the biting point (it was a bit 'far out' when it came from the dealer than I prefer) Now it's easy to ride away almost silently (ie low revs) and gear changes are much smoother, faster. It's a 250 ... it does what it does as well as anyone might expect.
Absolutely faultless to date ( Jan 2015 regd to Nov 2016 time of writing)
I've attended to my own servicing to date
There's a Ventura packrack that came as dealer bonus and with it's height and deck that's been everything i've needed. I added Oxford heated grips and they have been a boon over the colder weather and even late on in summer evenings on the way home the low setting gives a morale boost. I'd have liked the mirror stalks to have been a little longer (but then I'm very broad shouldered) Yet, having said that it's not been a big enough issue that I've done anything about it!

Bought from dealer at 10 months old and during the 'off season'. Let's just say I really enjoying negotiating and we came to a great deal :-) Mine cost me less than most dealers have been asking for 2013 models!

My ideal bike

12 August 2016 by John Hay

Bought the bike as I was looking for a lighter bike with a full size feel. Tried a couple of 125's first. It had only 17 miles on the clock when I bought it so followed running in procedure for first 600 miles. Serviced by Suzuki dealer for £99.... Read more Getting 90 mpg and 250 miles on a tank. reminds me of my first big bike (a 1956 BSA A7SS 500cc twin - but with better handling and brakes). Did 200 mile round day trip. Comfort good. have fitted Suzuki rack, top box and centre stand. also Puig screen which it needs. Due to extra weight put rear shock up one notch. I consider it great value for the £3.3k I paid for it. Have been on ride outs with local advanced riders club and they are amazed that I have no difficulty keeping up with their bigger bikes at legal speeds. Out accelerates most cars and top speed of 90mph. I think I've found my ideal bike.

More than adequate
Thought it under geared at first, but now getting used to it. Great exhaust note above 8500 rpm and growl when slowing
Better than my previous Suzukis (bandit, GSX 600F and 750F)
80 to 90 mpg
Have added screen, top box and centre stand. Looking for fender extender.

Good experience with Mickey Oates, Glasgow Suzuki dealer

want a bargain

30 May 2016 by devilicus

Don't be fooled this bike is incredible value you can pick the 2 tone z up for under 3000 the build quality is exceptional in my opinion and i have owned lots of different bikes also interest free credit at the moment Read more

ride quality is excellent suspension absorbs everything very comfortable for long periods
it's a 250
most servicing is easy on this bike
good instrument panel good presence on road fitted centrestand screen rack and topbox

dealer

great little bike

13 June 2014 by Anonymous

Just returned from a 2000 mile trip around France on this little work horse, back box and tankbag and two 19 liter side bags plus small tent and sleeping bag , what a great!! bike and trip I had. Fuel returned 310 per tank load (90+easy) power... Read more 70mph+ allday, comfort brilliant ,these bikes are built to last and do the duty of a second bike and do this very well. Just sold my bandit dont need it any more alway on this 250 love it and running costs are second to none, great A road bike 70 all day long easy ! Great value for money and the finish is top whack had it for 9 months and still looks like new had 2 oil changes got 5k + on clock tyres and pads still ok no probs, great headlights better than most. You can get side panniers I believe maybe look into this also after market pipes mmm all my mates have had a go and they were all very surprised happy days

Nice bike

02 April 2014 by awal71

I've been using my Inazuma everyday (rain or shine) now for a year. This review seems pretty accurate. I have also read a lot of other reviews which all seem to miss the point and try compare apples with pears. Its not a ninja 300, or a Duke 390,... Read more or even a CBR250, its an inazuam 250 designed to get me to work and back efficiently and cheaply and occasionally put a smile on my face. Regarding the price tag, its actually good value if you compare the other quality options available (today, not in the 70s!!). For the job at hand, it beats a ninja, duke, CBR all day long. Its looks seem to be a question of taste. Personally i like it and without too much effort or expense it can be transformed with a decent Puig screen and some acerbis led hand guards. Add a Givi box and some heated grips and you have yourself an nice little workhorse for all year round!

Year introduced 2013
Warranty term Two year unlimited mileage
Insurance group -
1/4-mile acceleration -
Engine type Four-stroke, liquid-cooled SOHC, 8v parallel twin
Frame type Tubular steel
Fuel capacity 13.3 litres
Front suspension KYB forks, non-adjustable
Rear suspension Rear shock, adjustable spring preload
Front brake 1x disc. two-piston caliper