SUZUKI INAZUMA 250 (2013-on) Review

Published: 20 March 2014

A worthy commuter with classy touches – the trouble is the price

SUZUKI INAZUMA 250  (2013-on)

A worthy commuter with classy touches – the trouble is the price

Due to these trying economic time, the thought of a worthy 250 commuter, a workhorse, is certainly more appealing to riders than ever before. The Inazuma fills that role brilliantly. It’s effective, idiot-proof and economical and its classy touches, badge, two-year warranty and more lift it above the general morass. The trouble is the price. We aren’t convinced that the Inazuma is cheap enough or, alternatively, sporty and appealing enough either. With a bit more poke it could have possibly have justified its price, but as it stands it needs a bit more of a sparkle.

The old-school tubular frame, bog basic spindly forks and preload-adjustable rear shock are nothing to shout about and just get on with the job. I’ve no complaints on that score. But while I can respect all that, and while the Inazuma makes a thoroughly acceptable fist of transporting me along all kinds of roads, there’s virtually nothing to get excited about, either. It does the job, pleasantly, that’s it.

The Inazuma isn’t getting the most performance out of its 248cc parallel twin engine, it’s about delivering just enough for economic transport and no more. The motor is thoroughly modern in some aspects (water-cooling, fuel injection), yet decidedly old fashioned and ‘anti-performance’ in others (sohc, long-stroke configuration). It thrums along merrily enough, and will happily top 65mpg, but by the same token seldom excites or even makes you raise an eyebrow in anticipation…

Reliability shouldn’t be an issue, finish might.

Good, but not outstanding value.

The instruments are classy and you get a gear indicator and fuel gauge. No ABS.

8 owners have reviewed their SUZUKI INAZUMA 250 (2013-on) and rated it in a number of areas. Read what they have to say and what they like and dislike about the bike below.

Review your SUZUKI INAZUMA 250 (2013-on)

Lightning Strikes Twice - Yes! I Would Buy Another.

23 May 2017 by Melvyn Cox

A full size bike, it has 250 performance and great fuel economy. I love riding it on A and B roads, but forget motorways as it will feel quite strained. Quite good wind protection for a 'naked' bike - how do they do that? Cheap to Tax,Insure and run.... Read more Miles and smiles for loose change money!

Great riding position with an ample dual seat which is also excellent for a pillion passenger. 100 mile ride is no problem. I am impressed with the brakes, although this is relative to the bike being a 250!
Remember it is a 250 with 24bhp and you will not be disappointed - buy something else if you think you are a racer, or wish to pull wheelies! The engine is not exciting but perfectly adequate for a town/urban commuter. From the lights you will be well ahead of all but the sharpest cars. I get 78mpg - that's about 8p for a mile of fun, cheaper than a wine gum, and I can't make one of them last for a mile!
Only 3k covered since new, but not a single problem, fires up immediately any weather.
Higher mileage service will be dearer next year.
Very well specified for a 'cheap' bike - Fuel injected and liquid cooled engine, catalysed exhaust,decent suspension (rear adjustable for pre-load). You get a very useful gear indicator and a proper (car style) fuel gauge together with a digital speedometer and 2 trip meters. There are very few accessories available, but then what else is needed? I have just one gripe - there are no bungee securing points!

I bought a pre-registered bike with 0 miles and a substantial discount (sub £3k). Euro 4 will probably kill of this super little bike - buy one quick, while there are still some left.

A good all rounder, and a great world tourer

22 May 2017 by Edmund

Bought the 2017 Model Love it!, very comfortable I'm 6ft2 only causes back pain if I don't get a small breaks in between touring long distance. I've clocked 5,000 kms so far in 4 months :) Read more

enough stopping power when needed
Engine is super smooth, I've driven the MT07 and this bike just feels like melting butter in comparison, amazing engine breaking for a 250, lovely sound off the engine aggressive on acceleration and sounds like a jet on deceleration. 65-71mpg on average, On high speed revving 50-55mpg
Rear adjustable shock is great for if I have extra luggage or a second person, or rough terrain. I've done many types of roads with potholes, and gravel, and some off-roads too handles quite well all round.
Cost me 90 euro for two services so far, not bad!, the Valve clearance must be checked every 10,000 kms so basically once a year if you do decent mileage, that could cost around 70 Euro I would say, though if you learn how to do it yourself its much cheaper only if you have the time on your hands
Has the best clock with the most info out of all 2017 bikes, best looking, and all the important info is there.

Cheap enough paid 5500 euro

owned the bike for a year in August 17

26 January 2017 by callum

this bike is set out for those who are (A2 licence) commuting to work & back (not long motorway journeys) and want to have a big bike look and nothing more Big bike looks yes twin exhaust one at each side, big side fenders with integrated turn... Read more signals and a massive front fender and weighting over 180kg this has big bike feel too compered to its rivals, however you can have fun on this bike when you keep in the high revs, 24 horse's aren't a lot so don't too excited the looks of the bike is up to you, get a smaller front fender, change the exhaust and put a smock/black screen and it looks a lot better it's a good 250cc work horse, that's what your buying and that's what you get minus the boot there's no boot as my mate laughed at me when he's got a bigger boot & he's on a cbr 125cc 2016 plate.

brakes; not the best put it's a £2,500 bike and your carrying over 180kg
want power get a sport/super sports bike this is okay from a 125cc and keeping it in the high revs
people say it's a suzuki (I had a Chinese keyway good reliability 25,000 miless 1 problem rang AA out and it was a loose wire runing great) bad bit this has already had a recall rear brake light was sticking/staying on. I had a engine light come on and the dealer sorted it out with a new ignition (under 3 month purchase warranty) done the trick 8 months latter and I'm still waiting as it seamed to easy of a fix. found a coolant leak whitch I'm sure the coolant tube just needs tightening, but this is a 2 second job once the fearings are off so will rewrite this at a latter date needs a stainless steel exhaust as standard one is rusting a good standard finish for a £2,500 bike
£5 gets me around 100 miles good stock tires done over 8,000 miles and stI'll good tred, I don't really hammer it if you know how to change your liquids and filters this is great price depends on what liquids and filters you buy (DIY) spark plugs easy access oil filter easy access (3,000 ish miles) oil easy access of course (3,000 ish miles) coolant easy access air filter easy access brake fluid easy access of course (2 years)
I think suzuki have done well this the cluster, speaking of cluster gear position (really nice for new riders) gear shift light, eco mode blinks at you to shift at 4,500 revs then stays a solid white light when you hit over 6-7,000 revs normal mod blinks at you to shift at 8,000 (handy :) and off mode no shift light modes: eco, normal and off, I can't tell the difference in power but couldn't be bothered to test the difference for mpg (eco mode is annoying as it almost flickering every single second to tell you to change gear

Inazuma GW250, yes ... it's become a great friend of mine

06 November 2016 by KitCarr

Happy to recommend, in fact my son has mine out now for a day long ride! The bike 'just felt right' when I got on it and took it for a test ride - and that was after 35 years of NOT riding. Everything falls easily to hand (and foot) the clutch and... Read more gear change are light and smooth, the front disc is powerful without being savage and the rear disc makes for balanced high speed stops ... and real smooth hill starts and U turns! For 'my use' round town and weekend touring it's an ideal bike ... and my son who covers many times more kms (and at higher speeds than I do) finds it nippy and tight handling so that he enjoys it too.

I'd say it excels at being a good allrounder ! In the city I tend not to get beyond 4th gear, that keeps it pulling really well and also helps me not to exceed the speed limit. On the open road the 6 gears mean it copes with 100kph in a relaxed manner ( NZ National speed limit) and it still have some to spare! I've done 240kms without a stop ... would have been further but bike needed fuel and it was never going to make it to the next fuel - as that was about 80kms distant and the fuel gauge was flashing!
It's really quite smooth from low in the rev range and, once I'd adjusted the clutch cable to the biting point (it was a bit 'far out' when it came from the dealer than I prefer) Now it's easy to ride away almost silently (ie low revs) and gear changes are much smoother, faster. It's a 250 ... it does what it does as well as anyone might expect.
Absolutely faultless to date ( Jan 2015 regd to Nov 2016 time of writing)
I've attended to my own servicing to date
There's a Ventura packrack that came as dealer bonus and with it's height and deck that's been everything i've needed. I added Oxford heated grips and they have been a boon over the colder weather and even late on in summer evenings on the way home the low setting gives a morale boost. I'd have liked the mirror stalks to have been a little longer (but then I'm very broad shouldered) Yet, having said that it's not been a big enough issue that I've done anything about it!

Bought from dealer at 10 months old and during the 'off season'. Let's just say I really enjoying negotiating and we came to a great deal :-) Mine cost me less than most dealers have been asking for 2013 models!

My ideal bike

12 August 2016 by John Hay

Bought the bike as I was looking for a lighter bike with a full size feel. Tried a couple of 125's first. It had only 17 miles on the clock when I bought it so followed running in procedure for first 600 miles. Serviced by Suzuki dealer for £99.... Read more Getting 90 mpg and 250 miles on a tank. reminds me of my first big bike (a 1956 BSA A7SS 500cc twin - but with better handling and brakes). Did 200 mile round day trip. Comfort good. have fitted Suzuki rack, top box and centre stand. also Puig screen which it needs. Due to extra weight put rear shock up one notch. I consider it great value for the £3.3k I paid for it. Have been on ride outs with local advanced riders club and they are amazed that I have no difficulty keeping up with their bigger bikes at legal speeds. Out accelerates most cars and top speed of 90mph. I think I've found my ideal bike.

More than adequate
Thought it under geared at first, but now getting used to it. Great exhaust note above 8500 rpm and growl when slowing
Better than my previous Suzukis (bandit, GSX 600F and 750F)
80 to 90 mpg
Have added screen, top box and centre stand. Looking for fender extender.

Good experience with Mickey Oates, Glasgow Suzuki dealer

want a bargain

30 May 2016 by devilicus

Don't be fooled this bike is incredible value you can pick the 2 tone z up for under 3000 the build quality is exceptional in my opinion and i have owned lots of different bikes also interest free credit at the moment Read more

ride quality is excellent suspension absorbs everything very comfortable for long periods
it's a 250
most servicing is easy on this bike
good instrument panel good presence on road fitted centrestand screen rack and topbox

dealer

great little bike

13 June 2014 by Anonymous

Just returned from a 2000 mile trip around France on this little work horse, back box and tankbag and two 19 liter side bags plus small tent and sleeping bag , what a great!! bike and trip I had. Fuel returned 310 per tank load (90+easy) power... Read more 70mph+ allday, comfort brilliant ,these bikes are built to last and do the duty of a second bike and do this very well. Just sold my bandit dont need it any more alway on this 250 love it and running costs are second to none, great A road bike 70 all day long easy ! Great value for money and the finish is top whack had it for 9 months and still looks like new had 2 oil changes got 5k + on clock tyres and pads still ok no probs, great headlights better than most. You can get side panniers I believe maybe look into this also after market pipes mmm all my mates have had a go and they were all very surprised happy days

Nice bike

02 April 2014 by awal71

I've been using my Inazuma everyday (rain or shine) now for a year. This review seems pretty accurate. I have also read a lot of other reviews which all seem to miss the point and try compare apples with pears. Its not a ninja 300, or a Duke 390,... Read more or even a CBR250, its an inazuam 250 designed to get me to work and back efficiently and cheaply and occasionally put a smile on my face. Regarding the price tag, its actually good value if you compare the other quality options available (today, not in the 70s!!). For the job at hand, it beats a ninja, duke, CBR all day long. Its looks seem to be a question of taste. Personally i like it and without too much effort or expense it can be transformed with a decent Puig screen and some acerbis led hand guards. Add a Givi box and some heated grips and you have yourself an nice little workhorse for all year round!

Year introduced 2013
Warranty term Two year unlimited mileage
Insurance group -
1/4-mile acceleration -
Engine type Four-stroke, liquid-cooled SOHC, 8v parallel twin
Frame type Tubular steel
Fuel capacity 13.3 litres
Front suspension KYB forks, non-adjustable
Rear suspension Rear shock, adjustable spring preload
Front brake 1x disc. two-piston caliper