TRIUMPH DAYTONA 955I (1997-2006) Review

Published: 23 November 2006

"Rapid, sweet-handling superbike…. That was about four years too late"

Triumph Daytona 955i motorcycle review - Riding

"Rapid, sweet-handling superbike…. That was about four years too late"

The Triumph Daytona 955i is an extremely rapid, sweet handling superbike. Unfortunately it was about four years too late in a fiercely competitive class. The R1, GSX-R1000 and FireBlade are lighter and faster. The Triumph Daytona 955i’s saving grace is its character from its gruff three-cylinder engine, distinctive understated looks and the fact few riders can use anything like all the performance any of these motorcycles offer.

Ride the Triumph Daytona 955i on the road and you’ll be hard pushed to fault it. Likewise on a race track. But try it back to back with the lighter, more powerful Japanese competition and the Triumph Daytona 955i feels slightly crude by comparison. Still a thrilling, rapid motorcycle and plenty stable enough for uneven uk roads. Brakes superb if in good condition.

Love the Triumph Daytona 955i's syncopated rumble at tickover – and there’s no shortage of low down drive. As it builds more power comes rushing and rushing until almost too soon it’s time to change up a gear. The Triumph Daytona's triple can never match the Japanese fours for top end power but it aces them on personality and sound. It's motorcycling aural poetry with a race can.

Problems with the Triumph Daytona T595 and early T955s had been ironed out by the time the Daytona 955i  was released. Triumph finish seems to be more durable than on Japanese motorcycles although when the crinkly black surfaces start to go, they deteriorate fast. Owners tend to be more mature than other big sports motorcycles too which is a plus.

At the end of its life the Triumph Daytona 955i had a bargain new price. Used motorcycles hold their money pretty well but it’s often justified by excellent condition. The Triumph Daytona 955i is an insurance group lower than almost every other motorcycle in the class (two lower than some) which can make a huge difference. Triumph’s own insurance scheme can be reasonable too – reason alone to buy one if you’re deemed a high-risk. Find a Triumph Daytona 955i for sale

Insurance group: 15 of 17 – compare motorcycle insurance quotes now.

With the Triumph Daytona 955i there are few luxuries but that’s par for the course. Comfort’s not bad – much better than some of the more extreme motorcycles like Honda’s CBR1000RR and the early ZX-10R. You can tour quite well one-up on the Triumph Daytona 955i too. The headlights are ace, mirrors are pants. Loads of official extras include alarm, luggage rack, grab rail and a high-level silencer.

45 owners have reviewed their TRIUMPH DAYTONA 955I (1997-2006) and rated it in a number of areas. Read what they have to say and what they like and dislike about the bike below.

We’re currently improving the way this section works, which means we’ve had to suspend the submission of new owners’ reviews for a short period. Please check back soon.

The Best of British Bark

19 April 2013 by Stu60

I have an '05 model in racing yellow fitted with off-road carbon can, polished rims and tinted visor. No dings, stone scratches or been thrown down the road, so it's in good nick. First up, all the (good) reviews are spot-on - very fast, razor-sharp... Read more handling and more ponies than you can possibly use on the road. However, with a brick disguised as a seat, comfort is average, as is wind protection, and the head lights are good up to 50mph, however that's a small trade-off for the awesome, soul-stirring sound and their nimble agility in the curves. At 100mph, their bark arouses the senses every time! I have owned and ridden several Japanese land-based missiles, which around town can be like driving a 200Hp school bus. Sure they go hard and come with the 'must-have' toys, but until I owned the eye-catching 'Tony, these garden-variety behemoths, devoid of any soul or character, never once drew a second look or provoked a comment (even from the bride!) The cops even make endearing remarks when I'm lucky to be chosen to make a donation towards their revenue-raising targets! With some power and revs left, and running out of road (and nerve), 242kph (150mph) is when I decided to back off. In Oz, for old and young alike, the '05 Daytona, with it's upswept carbon can and single swing arm is still a head-turning icon in looks and sound. Yes, on cold start-up they sound like a Maytag full of bolts, there's no gimmicks, no bling or accessories and no real creature comforts, like a fuel gauge! What you see it is what you get - there's no dumbing down or anything forgiving about the raw, unbridled power, frightful acceleration and one of the best handling platforms around. The 2005 955i engine is simply a peach; unlike the smaller screaming rice-burners, the 955 throttle is a tap that produce crisp, linear and unfettered horse-power, there are no flat spots, no manic power bands, just 150 willing ponies. This relatively small, but high performance engine will, without any hesitation, continue to pull, making real power up to the red line. The bike is light and can quickly flick through the curves with great stability and control. Life behind the windshield becomes interesting after 6000rpm, while this mill is just entering their comfort zone! They are not for the faint-hearted if ridden the way they were designed. The specifications of equipment fitted, such as brakes, forks and damper match the performance and provide a very capable and safe ride at speed. I have also seen several Daytonas with up to 100,000km and still going strong - a clear testament to their quality of build, reliability and enduring appeal.

Best Yet

19 January 2013 by Sweepy

Bought my 2003 Daytona in Dec. It was love at first sight. Realativly cheap to insure with stunning good looks it was a must. Yes I could have gone for a slightly newer jap rocket but the Union Jack on the front of this bright yellow bike together... Read more with a single sided swinging arm won on looks alone. At big bike meets she still draws a crowd. On a practical level I ride this bike every day to work and she has only let me down once with a blown reg/rec. It has more than enough power for my liking and delivers it in a very user friendly way. For those Sunday rides it more than delivers what British roads can cope with (or me) I've never taken it round a track but again I'm sure it would deliver with some to spare. 2 up with the wife and some luggage it rides well and still has plenty of grunt. All things considered itis a great all round bike and I look forward to many happy years together.

Flying the flag In California

16 July 2011 by California955iman

I bought my Triumph Daytona 955i on October 1st 2006, the last year this bike was manufactured. I love it. The best bike I have owned. I used to ride Kawasaki GPZs and though great machines I wanted something different here when I move to San... Read more Francisco. The Daytona was the bike for me. I have completed 60,000 miles in all weather (yes it rains here in the winter!) It is fast, reliable and cheap to maintain and gives me all the power I want from a big sport bike. I like the new 675s, but as a big dude 6'2 and 220lbs I need the bigger engine! Hopefully Triumph begin to make a 1075 version or something similar. I like the speed triple too, but still like a full faring sport bike. Off to Demo day here in Concord California so looking forward to some wild rides!

Does what it says on the tin

25 June 2011 by daj39

Just bought 2005 in jet black.. Superb bike.. i have tried the big 3..Yes they are quicker ( not by much ) but they are very much the same and lack the character of the triumph ..pure and simple..I do think Triumph should bring out another big super... Read more bike just look at the success of the 675..In short BUY ONE!!!

Old Tech but great ride

16 March 2011 by DaytonaBloke

It's not got 200hp, traction control, gear indicators, lap timers, ABS, multiple engine modes or electronic suspension. It won't climb Everest or cross deep rivers. But is has got character, bags of it. It goes like stink, handles like a dream... Read more and if you want a bike with soul, it's got loads of sooooooul.

Wow

30 May 2010 by triumphrider600

I've owned my 55 plate 955i for 5 months now and riden in all weathers and has not missed a beat. Build quality is stunning, for a 5 year old bike it looks brand new. No need to rev the nuts off t it makes power from tickover to the red... Read more line. Pillion comfort is amaizing. My wife hasn't ridden pillion for years and has been out loads on this one. There really is little that will keep up with it on British roads and even a quick ride is effortless as the spread of power and engine braking means you can stick it in 3rd or 4th on the twisties and just play the throttle. Awsome.

Daytona 955i

02 April 2010 by tim2304

I've owned this bike for three years now, from new. It's used mainly for ride outs on sunny days and I have absolutely no complaints about it. I've had a few Jap bikes before but this was my first British bike and my experience with this lead me... Read more to buy a Sprint RS as an every day workhorse (the immediate predecessor being a Honda). The Daytona is a more capable bike than I'll ever need, has a lovely engine (I'm a convert to Hinckley triples now) and lets me keep up with my fireblade & blackbird riding mates. Since owning the Daytona I still find myself looking appreciatively at the odd ZXR, GSXR750, Ducati or blade but have no desire or temptation to change. I think that somes up my view of the Daytona and maybe the best praise I could give my bike.

awsome bike

12 March 2010 by airlock

replaced my bandit 6s with an 8year old 955i ce in racing green, a brilliant bike, hard to fault, not as quick as the jap bikes but loads of power at the bottom and the top, a bit diffren so always gets a second look and has more performance then u... Read more could ever use on the road, it would benifit from a fuel gauge, single sided swing arm looks awsome and the race can makes an awsome howl.

That tool that does everything. The one you miss if it's not there.

21 December 2009 by TheRealAntB

I just sold my 2004 (54) 955i in yellow. Was so sad to see it go. It was my first big bike and I took it across France and commuted on it for a couple of years. Pillion comfort was great and it never broke down. The first insurance payment of 2400... Read more pounds was worth it (I was 24 in central London)! After 7k miles on the 955i I recommend the following: - Two Bros slip-on (I have one for sale if you want it) - the sport ECU mapping (20 quid from Triumph) - touring screen - steering damper if going on the track. So what are the cons? The gearbox is weak. No real feedback and I managed to get it to pop out of 2nd once. The bike is a little heavy and slow (!). But with the sport exhaust it makes you smile all the way. Man I miss it...

The best first 'big bike' possible

21 December 2009 by TheRealAntB

I just sold my 2004 (54) 955i in yellow. Was so sad to see it go. It was my first big bike and I took it across France and commuted on it for a couple of years. Pillion confirt was great and it never broke down. The first insurance payment of... Read more 2400 pounds was worth it (I was 24 in central London)! After 7k miles on the 955i I recommend the following: - Two Bros slip-on (I have one for sale if you want it) - the sport mapping (20 quid from Triumph) - touring screen - steering damper if going on the track. So what are the cons? None really... it's just a little heavy and slow (!). But with the sport exhaust it makes you smile all the way. Man I miss it...

Year introduced 1997
Year discontinued 2006
Original price £7,499
Engine type 12v in-line three, 6 gears
Frame type Tubular alloy perimeter
Front suspension Preload, rebound, compression
Rear suspension Preload, rebound, compression
Front brake Twin 320mm discs

1997: Triumph Daytona T595 launched.
1998: Uprated camshafts.
1999: Replaced by Triumph Daytona 955i.
2001: Major update from previous 955i.
2004: Headlights, fairing, tail section and clocks re-styled.
2006: Single sided swing arm, minor engine mods and smoother gear change. Model discontinued at end of year.

Triumph Daytona 955i Centennial: 2001-2003. Single sided swing arm, green only, special badges.
Triumph Daytona 955i Special Edition: 2003-2004. All black paintwork, frame and wheels.

• Triumph Daytona 955i motorcycle review - Exhaust