TRIUMPH SPEED TRIPLE 1050 (2011-on) Review

Published: 21 October 2010

Arguably one of the best super nakeds out there

TRIUMPH SPEED TRIPLE 1050  (2011-on)

Arguably one of the best super nakeds out there

2005 was the last time Triumph updated the Speed Triple by giving it the new 1050cc engine. Five years later and Triumph saw fit to update, overhaul and completely transform its biggest selling bike – 65,000 models sold since 1994. For 2011 the Speed Triple got an all-new chassis package, frame and swingarm to turn MCN’s favourite big-bore naked bike into a thoroughly modern big-bore naked bike. Changing the round ‘bug-eyed’ glass and chrome twin headlights for modern plastic items could have gone so badly wrong for Triumph. After all, changing something so iconic can be likened to downgrading the M1 to 45mph maximum speed limit. Thankfully Triumph got the new version spot on.

The new chassis allowed Triumph to shift the engine further forward and angled downward to shift the bike’s front weight bias in order to speed up the steering and make the Speed Triple as agile as the glorious 675 street Triple. Triumph also shifted the battery to behind the headstock, moved the rider closer to the steering head and changed the steering geometry. The upshot is a bike that is so easy to ride in any situation. Fast road riding, town work and track days are now all within the Speed Triple’s remit. The seat is narrower and ride height lower, making the bike accessible to short-legged riders – the slightly smaller turning circle makes life a lot easier,too.

The only part of the 2011 Speed Triple to receive the least amount of attention. But who cares? When you’ve got a triple-cylinder 1050cc engine that can pull a castle down with sheer torque alone and yet still run with the sports bike boys, you know this engine just has to be pretty special. The claimed 5bhp increase in peak power doesn’t mean diddly as such. It is the extra 8-10bhp and greater spread of torque from 6-9000rpm that makes a big difference. Overtakes are completed quicker and with a greater safety margin, and the Speed triple will wheelie for ever. A revised ECU, exhaust and airbox are responsible for the power step and also the wonderful, low rpm manners – we like tractable. New gearbox components make shifting more positive.

It doesn’t take much of a hard look to see the new frame, swingarm and chassis components are finished perfectly. Triumph has placed greater emphasis on detail finish, which should allay previous comments on water ingress to switchgear.

Insurance group: 14 of 17 – compare motorcycle insurance quotes now.

The dash layout features a service schedule indicator, programmable shift light and a pre-wired Tyre Pressure Monitor System that only needs the accessory sensors fitted to the wheels. The ignition key has an immobiliser as per the Japanese competition. Special star rating goes to the Brembo radial brakes that have been retained from the old model – these beauties work and work better still now a Brembo front master cylinder is used.

12 owners have reviewed their TRIUMPH SPEED TRIPLE 1050 (2011-on) and rated it in a number of areas. Read what they have to say and what they like and dislike about the bike below.

Review your TRIUMPH SPEED TRIPLE 1050 (2011-on)

With more than 15 years of riding and 7 different bikes under my belt, the Speed Triple is all my all-time favorite.

18 July 2017 by Irky

I've owned a wide variety of sportbikes and cruisers (I'll list them at the end), and the Speed Triple bests them all in virtually every category. HANDLING I've never owned a bike that inspired so much confidence right off the bat without even... Read more having to familiarize myself with the bike. Right from my first test-drive, I felt immensely comfortable on the Triple and was able to start pushing it without any concern I'd get myself in trouble. Now that I've ridden it significantly more, there's virtually nothing this bike can't do - it simply handles that well! As professional reviewers have noted, it's slightly heavier weight (476 lbs. wet) means you have to pick your line early and take extreme care if you need to modify your line mid-corner, however the bike remains incredibly flickable and capable. ERGONOMICS For me, Streetfighters strike the perfect blend of performance and touring. The standard handlebars put me in an extremely comfortable riding position while the footpegs allow me to tuck in when I want to. My shortest rides are in excess of 100 miles so it's important for me to be comfortable on my bike, and I never tire on the Triple. All controls are within easy reach and the stock seat provides the right amount of comfort and support. MY PREVIOUS BIKES (for comparison purposes) 1. 2001 Suzuki SV650S 2. 2005 Honda CBR600F4i 3. 2003 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100 4. 2002 Honda VFR800 Interceptor 5. 2005 Yamaha Roadstar Warrior 1700 6. 2007 Suzuki SV650S

The standard Brembo brakes with ABS and base suspension are absolutely outstanding. The R model is definitely out there for those who want that much more, but, for me, I want a bike I can ride all day without getting beaten up. I don't go to the track, so the roads I ride on are often in ill-repair. Having a stiffer suspension would beat me to death over a long ride. As for braking, squeeze those Brembos and the speed shaves off faster than any bike I've ever owned, including my F4i racebike.
For a literbike (heck, for any bike), the Triple's power delivery is second-to-none - extremely fast when desired yet incredibly manageable in low-speed situations such as stop-and-go traffic. The powerband crosses virtually the entire rev range meaning no high-revs necessary, but if the rider really wants to squeeze out of every dollop of torque and horsepower, revving to 9500-9700 is still rewarding.
I bought my 2015 used with 390 miles on the clock (so basically brand new). I've experienced absolutely no problems with great attention to detail such as quality welds and perfect ignition every time.
Be prepared to replace your tires more often if you're a bit of a hooligan, but the Speed Triple is quite easy to work on with very low maintenance costs. Regular oil and fluid changes are in the bag just like any bike, however the lack of a fairing and well-laid out engine planning means you can do the work at home without needing a lift or stands (although they make it easier).
I love having ABS and would like to have had traction control, however that option wasn't available on the 2015 model. I disagree with others who have had trouble with the computer/gauge cluster - once you get the hang of it (it definitely isn't intuitive at first), it's relatively easy to use and provides far more information than I actually need including a gas gauge, current MPG, overall MPG, lap timer, and the trip computers even log how long you've ridden since their last reset. All completely unnecessary but all very nice to have.

I bought used from an individual whose son started riding dual-purpose bikes so he bought a Tiger and couldn't justify two $15,000 Triumphs in his garage. I got a spectacular deal, however it's worth noting that depreciation is lethal on this bike. If you can find a used Speed Triple that hasn't been abused (a challenge, let me tell you), you can get a great deal. My 2015 bike had 411 miles with a number of quality aftermarket mods that would have taken its entire cost up to about $15,000 MSRP. With still seven months of the factory two-year warranty, I picked up my Speed Triple for just $8500 in 2017 (just two years after its in initial model year). A nearly 50% price cut means depreciation on brand-new models will hurt.

Almost perfect

17 July 2017 by Mobility Mike

Having owned my 2011 bike since new the only criticism is the harsh ride and the heavy clutch. Read more

Front brake is awesome rear is less so. Ride is sporty so not that road friendly. Would be great on the track though.
Wonderful piece of engineering. The power is just where you want it, in the middle.
Nearly 20000 miles and no issues.
Very little wind protection. I have the arrow full system which sounds great.

Bought new from a dealer and being a new model at the time there were no discounts or offers to be had.

Speed 94

11 February 2016 by Manman1a

Love the bike did a 2900 tour to southern Spain last summer comfortable toured really well, also great to get out with the lads on sports bikes. Only thing stopping 5 star is the clocks, hate them, fiddly make no sense to use and feel cheap Read more

Really good overall completed about 3600 miles so far 2900 in 6 days sports bike fun without the pain
Love the torque and engine sound SP engineering stumpy can. Runs out of puff a little at top end
Great apart from clocks (feel cheap)
Love the bike had around 50 bikes and this is one of my favourites
Clocks why put loads of great kit on the fit clocks that look cheap and drive you nuts

Excellent dealership

Queen of curves

19 July 2015 by Johnny

Best balanced bike within the naked sector. Friendly but potent motor and perfect dynamic properties. It's the Queen of curves! Read more

The only 'but' would be the gearbox...it is very precise but clunky.
It's a rear tyre destroyer!

Fun Factor 1050!

17 July 2015 by Chris L

Bought Speed Triple new last Sept as a replacement for my Daytona 955i. Entirely depends on what you want from your bike of course but for me the Speed Triple was an easy decision. Everytime I open the garage door I love it and everytime I ride it... Read more it makes me grin like an idiot; I'm sure it takes at least 10 years off me when I go out. By turns it is hugely impractical and at the same time perfect for the shortish blasts (up to 100 miles normally) that I use it for. It has little wind protection and so much over 100 mph is for short bursts only but in the real world the fun really isn't about going fast in a straight line that really doesn't matter and on twisty, inconsistent UK roads its awesome. Had a Tiger as a courtesy bike while the Speed Triple was in for a service and you could honestly fall asleep from the tedium. If you want to carry luggage and be protected from the wind then take the car. Bikes aren't meant to be practical, they are meant to be a bit wild and crazy and daft and that is exactly why the Speed Triple is perfect.

Extremely stable and easy to ride briskly, turns very easily and always feels like its much more competent than I am. Stops really well and the ABS gives an added sense of security if you do need to brake really sharply.
Just fantastic. Pulls pretty much in any gear at any revs and when you get upwards of 6K it pulls like a train and sounds brilliant. The top end is more than enough but it's the drive out of bends even at relatively low revs that make this so much fun. You can almost feel the rubber on the back tire biting into the tarmac when you accelerate out of a corner.
No problems so far but its new so wouldn't expect any
Not as expensive to run as some but again a bike like this is not really a practical decision is it?
Doesn't really have much equipment but the rear cowl finishes the look off a treat.

Bought from Triumph main dealer and took a bit longer than expected to actually arrive. Generally the dealer experience has been 3/5. it's been ok but nothing really impressive.

Let down

19 March 2012 by brizi2003

Current ride is gsxr750 k3. Test rode the speed triple but was very disappointed. Engine is mega but gearbox is a bit clunky. Ergonomics are great and very easy to ride but the suspension gives an extremely hard ride, transmitting every bump or... Read more ripple in the road straight to the rider. Even on the smoothest of roads there was a constant jarring. Salesman said I ws too light (11st). Suzuki is armchair in comparison. Triumph brakes are excellent only 1 finger needed but to me they seem too sharp no where near the feel of my Suzuki brakes although much more instant and powerful. Triumph trotted action ws also poor well off the stop before there was any response, my Suzuki on the other hand immediate. Biggest turn off though was the harsh suspension. Can't understand why this bike is getting such great reviews when my 9 year old bike does everything better. Triumph will definately not be getting my money.

Triple fun

25 November 2011 by Anonymous

Fantastic bike, very different from my previous bike the Bandit 1250 which although very good was a bit bland. The Speed Triple is much lighter and sharper handling, more like a sports bike, top spec brakes, supspension and handling. I don't think... Read more you could ever get bored winding her up with those blue shift lights. Standar tyres are made of butter the rear is now shot at 1300 miles ;-).

Shockingly good handler.

05 November 2011 by Beer&Darts

Just put one of these on order after a two-hour test ride during which time the kitchen sink was well and truly thrown at this bike. There are no obvious weaknesses to it other than an oddly splay-legged riding position and a slight lack of legroom,... Read more both of which matter not a damn when you're gunning it. There's no doubt about it, you can take absolutely horrendous liberties with these things. They simply will not misbehave in the slightest. Not only do they turn and hold a line on stock settings, but they combine that with supreme stability and front end feedback. Brake trailing? No problem. Ham fisted throttling? Not a concern, the fine control and traction available is astonishing. I tried everything I could do to upset it, and it was having none of it. This bike isn't for top-trumps worshipping spec-sheet anoraks, isn't loaded with bragging-right earning gizmos and isn't premium "exotica" (ie overpriced and underperforming). It's simply a damned fine piece of ingenious mechanical engineering that takes the piss out of anything I have ever ridden on a British road. It makes my existing KTM Superduke's handling look shit, which defies belief.

Happy bike

27 October 2011 by martin2011

My current 2012 ABS is a great upgrade from my previous 2007 model. Its got personality like no other modern bike. I get a happy smile evertime I ride it! Read more

TO UGLY TO BUY

05 August 2011 by Anonymous

Having now test driven the new Speed Triple from Triumph I can say that it is quite an amazing bit of kit. The engine and handling are just sublime and it has a decent comfort level as well - compared to the concrete seat and cramped conditions on... Read more the new Aprillia Tuono V4 R APRC (hyper loony bike) which I test drove three weeks ago. The engine, gearbox, brakes, handling, riding position, torque, suspension and general road manners all worked perfectly for me and honestly having tried all the rest I really want to buy this bike. But I am afraid Mr Bloor that I cannot and WILL NOT part with the fat end of £9,000 for a bike that has a bug eyed unfinished looking front end as ugly as this!!! PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE give us single light option that is as well designed and attractive as the Ducati 1100 EVO Monster. If you do that for me I will buy one without hesitation. In short this bike ticks every box for me except one and I will not buy it until there is a decent well finished good looking headlight on it that points where the front wheel is pointing. I wonder how many other people our there feel the same as me but are to scared of the slagging they might get for voicing their opinions?

Year introduced 2011
Warranty term Two year unlimited mileage
1/4-mile acceleration -
Engine type liquid-cooled 12v DOHC four-stroke in-line triple. Six speed. Fuel injection
Frame type Aluminium twin spar
Fuel capacity 17.5 litres
Front suspension Fully adjustable
Rear suspension Fully adjustable
Front brake 2 x 320mm discs with four-piston radial calipers
Rear brake 255mm disc with two-piston caliper

1994: UK introduction of 885cc steel framed café racer Speed Triple
1997: Streetfighter-styled (twin headlight) 885cc Speed Triple Speed Triples) with aluminium frame and fuel injection
1999: UK introduction of 955cc Speed Triple
2005: UK introduction of 1050cc Speed Triple
2011: UK introduction of all new Speed Triple

2004: Triumph Speed Triple Special Edition – all-black paintwork
2009: Triumph Speed Triple Special Edition 15th Anniversary – black paint with red detailing and John Bloor monicker on the fuel tank
2010: Triumph Speed Triple SE – first Speed Triple with two-tone (red/white) paint and uprated suspension.

• TRIUMPH SPEED TRIPLE 1050  (2011-on)