TRIUMPH TIGER 955I (2001-2006) Review

Published: 24 November 2006

A big, bruising trail bike powered by Hinckley's distinctive triple

TRIUMPH TIGER 955I  (2001-2006)

A big, bruising trail bike powered by Hinckley's distinctive triple

The second generation Triumph Tiger carried on the theme of the original – a big, bruising road trail motorcycle powered by Hinckley’s distinctive triple. The difference was this was the second generation triple with updated chassis and styling to match. Later versions are well equipped and the Triumph Tiger 955i is a decent road motorcycle taller riders, but it’s also somehow old fashioned and superceded by the Tiger 1050.

Both this and the older Triumph Tiger models attract taller riders, and people who love touring, and the motor is capable of covering serious miles with few problems. 2002 saw just the suspension internals revised making the ride much firmer and more suited to the road.

In 2001 the Triumph Tiger 955i got the 955cc triple engine fitted plus a new exhaust, gearbox, injection system, reworked engine internals etc. giving a claimed 104bhp @ 9500rpm which makes it among the quickest and fruitiest of the so-called monster trail motorcycles – great on road, but it’s no off-roader.

Triumph's later build quality is much better than with its early motorcycles and reliability, apart from a few problems with the first 595 Daytona superbikes, has never been much of an issue. If the Triumph Tiger 955i you're looking at is well looked after cosmetically you shouldn’t have any problems.

Fairly commonplace and also in production for quite a long run so there are plenty to choose prom. The later versions with their ever improving spec are the ones to go for but tend to hold their values better. Find a Triumph Tiger 955i for sale

Insurance group: 13 of 17 – compare motorcycle insurance quotes now.

The Triumph Tiger 955i is better equipped than most motorcycles in this class and many come with factory extras fitted.  Look for aftermarket accessories fitted to make commuting and touring easier. Some Triumph Tiger 955i owners leave this stuff on when part exchanging their motorcycle, while others prefer to take it all off again. 2004 saw a big update to the Triumph Tiger 955i including cast alloy wheels, different swingarm and panniers, heated grips and centre stand now as standard. Colour-coded factory panniers are now offered as Triumph repositioned the Tiger 955i as a grand tourer

14 owners have reviewed their TRIUMPH TIGER 955I (2001-2006) and rated it in a number of areas. Read what they have to say and what they like and dislike about the bike below.

Review your TRIUMPH TIGER 955I (2001-2006)

Best bike I have owned in 35 years of riding!

04 April 2017 by HectorHat

This is a peach of a bike at a fraction of the cost of the German Panzer GS. Triumph have employed simple & solid technology which works well and it feels very solid, well built and is totally reliable. I'm 6ft 2ins so have few problems with its... Read more size, but it is not for the faint hearted or short of leg! On the road it's a blast, cruise or hustle, it is smooth, powerful and sure footed, what more can one ask? I have had 20+ BMWs and Jap bikes - I now own 2 Triumphs and am unlikely to change them. This is one of the best bikes I have ever owned.

It is very smooth, comfy and the brakes easily match the performance. Ok, this is not an R1 with Moto GP type brakes, but for a big adventure bike it's superb. The brakes are progressive, no grab or lurching, no eye popping stops, but I have never had cause to worry even under heavy braking or hard acceleration on wet roads. In all conditions it has proved sure footed and you ride it with confidence. For a big, heavy bike of this class it is top class, thus 5 out of 5.
I can only add to what every other Triumph triple owner says - it's the best motorcycle engine out there. I've owned singles, twins, triples & fours and nothing beats this engine. It is smooth, oodles of torque & power, great acceleration with a smile-inducing growl, good engine braking with that characteristic pop and crackle. It's a peach. Sounds like a bag of nails at cold start, but once it's going it's great.
I do look after my bikes, but the finish is excellent and it is easier to keep clean than my Bonnie. I never leave wet road grime on the bike & always spray it off quickly. A weekly good wash down and lots of WD40 do the trick & it looks like new with no signs of deterioration after 16k miles. I ride daily in all weathers and need a reliable, comfy bike. It has been faultless.
I service it myself, no problems.
Heated grips, clock (rather small and not illuminated), windshield, panniers, both side and main stands, fuel gauge, temp guage, hand protectors, etc. I had to change the original screen for an aftermarket one with a deflector and after some experimentation it is now spot on and I can cruise at 80mph in comfort. Plenty of equipment. Negative points - the speedo/rev clock light are useless at night & I literally have to guess my speed from the needle level, you just can't see the figures! It's difficult to give it 3/5 because the rest is so good, so it's 4/5.

Bought from local dealer in Devon, paid £3700, which was about right but boy do I think that I've got a bargain now!

best bike i have had by miles

26 March 2017 by craig s

i had a 2001 tiger 955 a couple of years ago as i was going abroad with the bike i then sold the bike thinking i wanted something different i swapped to a 2001 vfr800 then a 1999 blackbird then a 1994 africa twin i couldnt get comfy on any of them so... Read more i have bought a 2006 tiger 955 and i am happy i went back to the tiger.i have had a zzr600, 900 fireblade, zx9r, sv1000s, zx12r and the bikes above and this is the best bike i have had

i can easily do 200 miles at least before i need to stop. the bike is suited to a taller rider the seat height is adjustable i have a 32" inside leg and i use the middle setting of the seat position and i can still touch the ground. my son or wife ride on the back and say the rear seat is good also. brakes are good also no problems they both work well
the triple is superb it has lots of torque for 6th gear overtakes at 50-60mph and it has lots of power if you use higher revs it will keep up with most sports bikes. it pulls well through the rev range no real flat spots. i have fitted the triumph tor exhaust (genuine triumph off road exhaust) and it pulls a bit better in the midrange and sounds a bit meatier but not too noisy.
only issues i have had is a little of the engine paint bubbling which is easily sorted with a bit of sand paper and a tin of gloss black bike has done 30k miles so that doesnt seem too bad
i service the bike myself the oil and filter are cheap and easy to change, tyres are a normal size so there are plenty of choice and deals to be had
panniers and topbox, center stand, fuel gauge, clock, heated grips all as standard, the clock is hard to read, i run michelin annakee2 tyres and i have ran metzler tourance tyres both were fine no issues

..... and its British!

23 March 2017 by GRIFF

The bikes best features are its engine and riding position. Worst feature- it encourages rider to ride faster than one normally would. I would recommend to friends. Read more

Bike at its best driving out of corners. Outstanding all rounder- recent 325 mile Welsh trip included dual carriageways, single track mountain roads covered in grit, fast twisty B roads. She proved more than capable of staying ahead of Z1, 1200 Dorsaduro, Pan 1300. Very comfortable to ride for 2 hours between stops.
Top gear 20 mph through villages/around town- 90mph cruising- effortless pull out of corners. For long journeys or a scratch with mates, this is the best engine I've come across in 35 years motorcycling.
Build quality appears outstanding. My bike is 10 years old with no corrosion evident. Top quality stainless steel has been used for the whole exhaust system and engine bolts. I have done 2500 miles to date, totally reliable nothing failed.
I serviced it myself at 18000 miles- oil and filter, re-charged K&N air filter, fork oil, coolant and brake fluid. Valves checked all within tolerance.
Best feature- heated grips. Worst- fuel gauge misleading when less than half a tank remains.

Dealer. Advertised for £4250, paid £3950

Great all round bike.

21 February 2017 by thebiglad

Comfortable, agile, peach of an engine, large fuel tank. Read more

Absolute peach of smoothness, torque from low down and pulls like a Formula 1 driver !!!

Bought 2nd hand from a dealer. Advertised at 4000, paid 3800.

The old Girlie is a goodie

12 January 2016 by Tasmanian Tiger

I upgraded to the 2013 Tiger 1050 Sport, based on reviews saying how it was like the 955i only better - I wish I'd kept the old Girlie. It's ride position and suspension comfort was much better. It was a lot more rideable than the on/off switch... Read more throttle of the Tiger Sport. And a bit more "forgiving" if you were not totally focussed on the road ahead and found yourself going into a corner a little too fast.

A little underbraked, so I have backed it into quite a few corners over time, but never had any major not-enough-stopping moments. Ride quality is soft so it would weave a little on long curves but otherwise handling was a good as the much firmer Tiger Sport and comfort was great. A little vibration tingle from the bars, fixed by fitting foam grips.
Best road bike engine I have come across (and I've owned a lot, as well as working for a bike dealer in my youth) in terms of power/torque balance, and well matched to the gear ratios.
Build and finish quality was great and I had no mechanical issues at all.
If you elect to do without the Triumph diagnostic, you can easily service it yourself for minimal $.
First time I rode it on the dirt (after the fun of my previous BMW 650 Dakar) and I decided I'd better stick to the tar. But after fitting Michelin Anakee tyres, the dirt handling was transformed and I could confidently negotiate gravel roads with ease. (The Tiger Sport has taken me back to tar only riding).

Solid Journeyman Motorcycle, Tremendous Value

28 August 2015 by motohowie

This is my third Tiger after owning two of the 885s, a 99 and a 00. When the 955 came out I couldn't understand who thought the Tiger needed to go faster but now I get it. The extra power is in all the right places. Read more

Ride and handling are better than my first two - firmer and steadier, and the fork dive is greatly reduced.
I loved my BMW twins for the low end torque, but the Tiger is not far behind at low RPMs and has great kick in the mid range and higher. The six speed was stupid in my opinion because a close ratio is certainly not needed with this engine and just adds work. Love the shriek and also enjoy the popping and burbling when you engine brake.
Build quality seems better than my first two - no bent fasteners or other little oddities. Had to replace the plastic fuel fittings in the tank. Have owned 14 BMWs over the years and cannot recall EVER buying a BMW part for $10.
Servicing is not difficult with a manual and the tips available on Triumphrat. The 6k interval is nice and seems more than adequate.
Bags are a must for me, and these are nice. I'd rather have a lower pipe and a full size bag on the right side though. Windscreen is not much good and I may look to add a Triumph tall if they're still available or perhaps a Cee Baileys.

Bought privately and feel like I got an excellent value. The only bikes with comparable power and equipment in the same price range used are older Kawasaki Concours and they just aren't as versatile.

03 July 2015 by Ciro

Tiger 955i 05

21 January 2012 by Anonymous

I have had my Tiger now for 1 1/2 years. I have just returned from France and these are my thoughts. As reported you do get vibes through the bars at speed but they are not to bad. However at low town speed the engine judders like made this can be... Read more very annoying. At night the speedo is very hard to see, infact you will have no idea what speed you are doing. Also the digital clock is a wast of time (!) as it's too small. Economy is quite good over 40mpg but at speeds of over 80mph this will obviously plummit. The power is perfect overtaking is easy and will cruise at 80mph and more with ease. The luggage is well made and large enough but mine are not waterproof. The bike handles very well at speed and fast lanes are good fun. I can say it handles better than the 885 as I have ridden this bike as well. I have a taller screen Cee Baileys +8, and it helps with the wind. Also Gel Seat (numb bum saver)And Hugger. The main problem I have is the bike is just to tall by fare. I still have the original tyres off road type. I can say that the road tyres are better than the ones I have. All in all i am happy with this bike the only reason I would sell is due to the hight, You need more than a 31" inside leg to make it safe when stopped. It is a quality made bike even with the defects I have mentioned.

My second Tiger

22 June 2011 by l70jul

I bought a '99 900i a few years ago and loved it, but was seduced by a nearly new Street Triple. After a year on that I decided to go back to a Tiger as it's a perfect all rounder. It handles, has loads of grunt, brakes could be better, but that's my... Read more only whinge. Top Bike!!

Fantastic everyday bike

13 January 2008 by ormsky

Got probably one of the very last 955's in April 2007 with all the extras as standard (panniers, heated grips, centre stand). High upright seating position is comfortable and gives a great view when commuting or just out in the country. Engine has... Read more loads of grunt just where you need it, overtaking is so easy. Gearbox is ok but can be a bit clunky, I always seem to be adjusting the clutch cable. Handles great on our crap roads, soaks up pot holes and is easy to throw around (though it is a heavy bike once you stop). I added a touring screen (makes a big difference on the motorway), hugger, and Triumph top-box all of which have turned the bike into a great tourer. I'm not a big fan of the looks but its just so good to ride. I get just over 180 miles before the fuel light comes on! It tours, commutes, scratches, and will hopefully keep my licence clean (I had a Honda Blackbird before, totally awesome but totally dull at legal speeds and not good for city commuting). To sum up a fantastic everyday bike with loads of extras. Easy to ride, great tank range, comfortable over long distance.

Year introduced 2001
Year discontinued 2006
Original price -
Engine type 12v transverse triple, 5 gears
Frame type Tubular steel cradle
Front suspension None
Rear suspension Preload, rebound
Front brake 2 x 310mm discs

2001: Triumph Tiger 955i introduced.
2006: Triumph Tiger 955i superceded by new 1050 Tiger.

None.

• TRIUMPH TIGER 955I  (2001-2006)