YAMAHA MT-07 (2014-on) Review

YAMAHA MT-07  (2014-on)

Light, friendly, punchy, fast, frugal and more fun than it has a right to be

• New: £5,199
    Used: £4,000 to £6,500 See all YAMAHA MT-07s for sale

What a surprise the MT-07 is. It’s light, friendly, punchy, fast, frugal and more fun than it has a right to be. We reckon for everyday use and shorter-distance riding it’s actually better than the bigger, more expensive, MT-09. It’s such a superb performer and well built, the MT-07 would still knock us sideways if it was a grand more expensive, so costing £5199 it’s simply amazing. And all this from a manufacturer that almost priced its products out of the market just a few years ago…

Weighing just 179kg fuelled and ready to go, it’s hard to believe the MT-07 has a steel frame and swingarm. That lack of weight makes the Yamaha easy to manage at low speed, maximizes braking performance, improves agility on the move and generally makes the MT-07 simple to ride, especially when matched to such a friendly engine. The lower mass helps fuel economy, too, so despite having a small 14-litre tank, Yamaha claims it can squeeze 207 miles between filling stations. And you’ll be comfortable for all those miles, too. The riding position is natural, the bars are an easy reach and the foot pegs don’t hurt knees.

The new parallel twin engine is docile, friendly and won’t scare the less experienced. It’s smooth, easy to meter-out the power and purrs along at 70mph at 5000rpm. It’s not an engine to pull your arms out of your sockets and at high speed it starts to get breathless, but there’s more than enough oomph to have sub-80mph fun. But here’s the amazing thing, crack the throttle and the MT-07 will wheelie up in second gear, the smooth throttle response being so predictable you can then leave the front hanging up in the air for as long as you want. Yamaha didn’t design the MT-07 to be wheelied everywhere, but it is very, very, good at it…

The build quality seems very high but this is a brand new parallel twin engine so only time will tell.

Only the Honda CB500 range is cheaper than the MT-07, making it incredible value for money.

ABS is an optional extra.

11 owners have reviewed their YAMAHA MT-07 (2014-on) and rated it in a number of areas. Read what they have to say and what they like and dislike about the bike below.

Review your YAMAHA MT-07 (2014-on)

Problematic MT-07

08 September 2016 by Shax

I have had a number of problems with MT07, mainly due to the build quality and service provided by the dealer and Yamaha. The welding on the frame had not had the slack removed and this came off shortly after purchasing the bike, leaving bare metal.... Read more Yamaha and the dealer eventually agreed to repaint that part of the frame but unfortunately after 3 attempts could not match the paint. The right side of the frame does not match the left hand side. The second problem I occurred is corrosion, the finish on this back is the worse I have owned in over 20 years. The swingarm, mainly under the chain guard but also near the chain adjusters, bar ends, water hoses, calliper bolts have all corroded and this is after just 2500 miles and I do not ride in winter. I can accept that things can go wrong but having waited over 8 weeks for a warranty decision with me having to constantly chase them up the service the dealer and Yamaha offer is nothing short of appalling. One of the reasons given for the delay was that Yamaha only have 1 person who signs of warranty claims and was on holiday which I found unbelievable. I have now decided to sell the bike and cut my losses, first and last Yamaha I will buy.

Brakes are poor and I changed the pads which improves them but would also recommend braided hoses. The front is to soft and the rear shock is pretty poor although not as bad as some people report.
The best bit about the bike although does run out of puff at the top end.
Build quality is the worse of any bike I have owned in over 20 years and will never buy a Yamaha again. It is clear this is the area they are saving money on.
Does about 55mpg although insurance is more than a street triple for some reason. Obviously due to the corrosion issues this will mean the bikes will start to depreciate pretty rapidly especially when Yamaha don't even care.
The horn button is in the wrong place and when going to press it you end up hitting the indicator. I personally think this is a very dangerous as on a number of occasions when cars have pulled out I have missed the horn.

Dealer

Simply provides what's needed

08 September 2016 by Manxcommuter

Simply provides what's needed. No rider modes to confuse, ample power & comfortable now that I have lowered foot pegs & put heavier bar end weight on nearside. Highly recommended Read more

Not exceeded 50 miles per journey yet - joy of living on a small island
For a 700 twin the engine is a cracker . Good torque & flexibility + ample power when wound up without being intimidating .
Finish a bit thin but everything fits as it ought . Thoroughly reliable thus far .
Purchase excellent value - not yet up to service mileage .
Engine bars allow good fitting of auxiliary lights & promise effective protection in a spill . Touring screen provides stylish protection at a reasonable price .

Brand new at list price - good dealer support .

MT-07

04 June 2016 by Yamifan

A great bike for shorter distances, twisty roads and town riding. Read more

Best for shorter distances due to slightly cramped riding position (I am 5'10). Great handling, good (non ABS) brakes. Very user friendly bike.
Great engine, acceleration is brisk when needed, never misses a gear.
Just 12 months old, no probs so far!
Just coming-up for first annual service. Fuel economy is good.
Fitted a small screen when bought on the advice of the salesman who commuted 80 miles a day. Well worth the money! Everything else works well on this bike

Bought from Bridge in Exeter. This dealership has much improved in the last few years.

Fun and quirky.

26 March 2016 by Greg

Cheaper than the competition. Great fun bike with lots of character, although a bit too quiet but thats Europe's fault not the bike. Read more

Very smooth with fun character. Good strong brakes although it does take a hand full to scrub off speed.
Had a Street Triple before this and the little MT does everything that could but cheaper. This will happily pop a wheely, torque coming out of bends is great.
Now 2 years old my bike has whitening on a few bits due to road salt. Plastics by your legs can't take too much rubbing so recommend protectors for that area. Other than that modern day Japanese quality.
65 mpg. Low weight so doesn't kill tyres also due to the way it handles you spend a lot of your time searching out the twisty roads.
Funky starter. Put an Ermax screen on it but that's it really.

Bridge Motorcycles in Exeter, great place

Best in Class: Yamaha MT-07

09 February 2016 by Roomsy10

Owned this bike for a year now and never fail to have a smile on my face when I ride it. It's light and nimble but with enough grunt to have fun, no matter what the reason for the journey. Of course it gets overtaken by wannabe John McGuinness's on... Read more their built-for-it sportbikes, but it's not designed to compete with them. It's a "ride anywhere and enjoy it every time" kind of bike - and at THAT it excels. I would recommend this bike to anyone, new, old, inexperienced, experienced.

The ride cannot really be faulted. Ignoring the pure fun of the thing for just a minute, the riding position is comfortable with the padded seat stopping the inevitable numbness on everything apart the longest journeys. Ride it to work. Ride it for fun. Ride sedately or chuck into corners on twisties - it doesn't really matter because the bike can handle whatever you throw at it. It makes for an awesome commuter bike as well as a machine to play about on during the weekend. I'm 6'2 and can happily ride for miles on it without any issue.
Power output is predictable, in a good way. The throttle is smooth, though because of the responsiveness of the engine, the bike will give you a nudge if you're snappy with the right hand. You could argue for a higher top end, though not sure why. Apart form anything, it's a naked bike so wind resistance is a bit self-limiting anyway. If you want brutal TT-esque speed, buy a sportbike
Build is solid and functional. No problems with any of the equipment, no failures or issues. The bike has been (and continues to be) the epitome of reliability.
Servicing costs obviously vary from place to place and from mileage level. I've found these costs to be about the norm, in no way extortionate.
Favourite feature? It's a no frills bike so it's not littered with tricks and gimmicks. However, I do find the gear indicator extremely useful. Used as a quick reference, just helps when coming into a corner or junction, roundabout etc. Other reviews have claimed the digital display is too low and that "you have to take you eyes off the road in order to look at it". I find this sort of comment mind-blowing - when I check the speed when in my car, my eyes are on the speed display, NOT the road!! Anyway, a quick flick down with your eyes is all you need to check everything from gear, to speed, to fuel and even rpm.

Bought mine from a local dealer called 5-Ways in Hull who were absolutely superb, highly recommend using them. Paid the asking price but deal was sweetened with clothing vouchers.

Sad bike

04 February 2016 by Bikemike 65

The seat is terrible -way too soft. Im 5'9" and my bum was on the hard plastic and badge between the 2 levels -ouch. This is a 10mt seat=ok if you are 8 stone or less. The seat is at least 30-50mm too low and the footpegs need to go down 1/2 inch as... Read more well. The gear change lever is an inch too short for size 11 boots. Would suit a light ,short person, with very long arms. Bars are quite a stretch for this 5'9'' rider. Need 2" more pull back. The engine has good mid range power -around 5,000 RPM but above 7 the vibes are bad .The power above 6,000RPM is all but useless due to increasingly worse vibes. I doubt this bike had anything like 72 Hp -maybe 50? Seems similar to my old Suzkui DR650 which had 43hp. Handling is taunt but the rear is too firm and kicks you in the butt over small to moderate bumps. It can be adjusted so thats good it will need to get backed off to make it comfortable. Above 55mph the wind blast is not acceptable-it seriously needs a fairing as standard. You can get a fly screen for $200 extra -rip off! Seat is a shocker. Good for short sprints around twisty country roads with very good smooth surfaces. NO good for cruising unless you are Captain slow.

THe salesman described it as RAW-he was right. Yamaha have at least 5 things to fix -NOW . Seat, bars, gear lever,engine vibs, screen. Buy a CB500 or Suzuki Gladius or Wee Strom -much better bikes
Way too much vibs -believe me ive owned 65 bikes this is not a smooth engine above mid revs.
Taunt handling. Rev counter very hard to read -numbers are way too small to see unless you are stopped!

Perfect mid range bike

10 November 2015 by JonnyG

One of the best features, if not the best, is fuel economy. I'm getting around 65mpg(UK) whether I poodle around or go for a blast. The suspension is a little bouncy until you set the rear to a higher setting (2 down from hardest for me), but once... Read more that's done it takes a while to learn to trust the bike around corners but once you give it your trust it will not let you down it really does head where you point it unless you hit a pot hole or cat eye then it will give you a little moan but will shake it off and carry on.

The bike is at it's best either commuting or fun rides out as it takes it all in it's stride. Very easy to weave through or around traffic, more than enough acceleration to get away from the traffic lights way ahead of any cars and motorways are fine if you keep below 80 ish but a fairing will sort that out. 60/65mpg never below 60 even thrashing it around. I haven't carries a pillion so can't help there. I've regularly ridden for over 2 hours during the summer months and found it very comfortable only stopping for a ciggie or some chips! Brakes are fine for a light weight bike, front's giving more than enough grip to bring you to a standstill in little distance. The rear is very snatchy and will lock up quiet easily, I readjusted the brake pedal down approx: 1" and found that to be better as you don't need to lift your foot of the peg I have more pressure control of the rear brake now.
Power delivery is slightly sluggish below 3k in any gear 3rd up. The bike will moan and puff but will pull, above 3 things get a lot better and from 5k to 8k it's just pure torque all the way. Pulling away from stand a still should be done with great care and gentleness otherwise you will find yourself pointing skyward in 1st and 2nd gears, and if you haven't learn by then you'll find 3rd is still trying to buck you off. You tend to automatically lean forward once the above has happened to you but if your prepared and expecting the front to raise it's very controllable even if a little scary, once you've mastered the control it feels fantastic!
The MT-07 is very nicely put together my only gripe being the rear seat is slightly lose but not a big deal. No rust as of yet and, yes, I ride in all weathers apart from slow! I smother it in AC-50 which helps a great deal I think. No parts have failed and it starts first time even on the freezing winter mornings and it's not garaged just left under a cover. I also added some front gators just to protect the forks from stone chips and road salt,
Just oil and filter changes, I let the garage do this as it's not to bad a price and I know it's done correctly (I hope).
For the price it's got all the necessary parts as standard, a very nice LED read out with 2 x trip counters, average mpg, instant mpg, automatic reserve mile counter, engine temp, environment temp, rev counter, clock and a gear indicator! Mine came with Michelin Pilot3 tyres. You really don't need to add much to the standard bike if you just intend to commute or just fun rides out. But there are so many add on parts why not add on some extra's! A decent exhaust, fly screen, front fender extender, rear hugger wouldn't hurt and won't brake the bank but will make your bike that little more your baby! I've added just about everything you could add as I'm hoping to keep her for quiet some time.

Bought mine from The Motorbike shop in Farnborough, absolutely hassle free, they gave me a great price on my 2005 FZ1 and the deal was completed in 3 days, perfect. I paid £5399 and was offered the ABS model for £5799 but I prefer the non ABS and I'm a tight bugger.

The practical hoon machine

02 September 2015 by Charlie

If you haven't bought one yet you're wasting time. Can and will please any audience regardless of experience. Serves just about every purpose you can dream up. Fun and capable on track, excels down the back roads, excellent commuter. Read more

Coming from a 125 it was an intimidating step up, one that might have ended badly if it wasn't for this incredibly user friendly, engaging engine.
It's built very well considering the price but there have been a few bits I wasn't too impressed with. One being a material defect of the sump case, when I changed the oil, the casing cracked. Yamaha repaired it on warranty though so not much harm done.
I was very tempted to give it a 5 purely because it's so cheap so they have to budget somewhere. The OEM equipment is perfectly reasonable but there is serious room for improvement on the suspension. I'm installing Ohlins springs and rear shock soon and I hear it transforms the bike. The exhaust is also dismally quiet and doesn't do the engine justice. I thoroughly recommend the Zard, phenomenal sound. Other than that everything is stellar.

MT-07 Moto Cage

19 June 2015 by Sg

Going from a CBF125 for about 2 months and going straight onto this MT-07 as my first bike was a daunting task. Having said that after being on the bike for a while, I found like all the others (youtube, MCN reviews) that the throttle is very... Read more forgiving, and the riding position is nigh-on perfect. I use the bike to commute and agility was the key thing that I was looking for. And after a long hard think I went for an MT over a supersport, to give me the riding experience I needed, and looking back I'm glad I did, as the MT-07 has been a whole lot of joy! My only criticism of the bike, and that may not be the bike's fault, more the EU regs etc, is how quiet the bike is standard. No-one can hear you coming, and soon after I invested in an aftermarket SC Project exhaust and am loving it!

Like many have said the rear suspension is a little wayward, and I have to agree. On the other hand it is a budget bike and I can't really complain. Some have recommended a Nitron shock upgrade, but I'm happy with stock at the moment.
For a budget bike it feels really well put together.
Compared to my 125, this is awful, but having said that I use a tank a week, and I get around 125 miles before needed to fill up again (I don't know where the MCN review got 207 miles!!)
For a sub 6k bike new, there is a lot of kit that many other bikes have. I am a massive fan of the LCD on the MT-07, so much info.

You can always haggle at the right time of year, and if you don't ask, you don't get.

the big grin machine

07 October 2014 by hydie

After receiving permission to return to biking after a 20year absence the MT-07 was the right bike at the right time (worth the 6 week wait for delivery)for the right price (not much more than the cost of a decent used bike for a brand new... Read more machine) In 2 months I've put 2.5k miles on her and loved every minute, confidence inspiring punchy fun in the twisties and plenty of pull for any overtakes. Seat is evil after 100m (comfort seat option) Range 150m @63mpg (cant seem to squeeze more than 10 litres in though) Exhaust is quiet (aftermarket options)

Year introduced 2014
Warranty term Two year unlimited mileage
Insurance group -
1/4-mile acceleration -
Engine type Four-stroke, liquid-cooled DOHC, 8v parallel twin
Frame type Tubular steel
Front suspension 41mm forks, non-adjustable
Rear suspension Monoshock, adjustable spring preload
Front brake 2x282mm petal discs. Four-piston monobloc calipers