YAMAHA SR125 (1982-2003) Review

Published: 24 November 2006

"One of the oldest 125 cruiser type motorcycles on the roads today"

Yamaha SR125 motorcycle review - Riding

"One of the oldest 125 cruiser type motorcycles on the roads today"

• Insurance group: 4 of 17
    Compare insurance quotes now
  • Suitable for A1 licence

The Yamaha SR125 is one of the oldest 125 cruiser type motorcycles on the roads today. It first appeared in the UK way back in 1982, was withdrawn in 1986, then returned in 1991. It's an ideal CBT motorcycle, but beyond a training school car park the Yamaha SR125 feels slow and outdated in almost every way.

With everything feeling low and light, the Yamaha SR125 is a novice motorcycle which you can master very quickly. The front disc brake works OK, but the suspension is on the soft side and the motorcycle soon feels like a mini bouncy castle if you try and corner at all rapidly.

The Yamaha SR125 struggles to maintain its speed in 5th gear - any kind of headwind or incline will see you prodding 4th gear to keep it above 50mph. The SR125's engine is reliable, but it's so sluggish it's hard to believe Yamaha's claim that produces 12bhp.

The Yamaha SR125's motor is one of those understressed units (also features in the TW125 Yam ) that just keeps plodding along for years. The rest of the Yamaha SR125 can look a bit tatty after a few winters and corrosion can get at the exhaust and chassis components all too easily. There's a fully-enclosed chain however.

Yamaha SR125s go for about £400-£900 secondhand, which considering the SR125 once cost a whopping two grand brand new, is a fair price for a basic learner/cruiser motorcycle. Watch out for ex-training school models with bent forks, broken indicators, levers and dented exhausts - there's plenty about. Find a Yamaha SR125 for sale

Insurance group: 4 of 17 – compare motorcycle insurance quotes now.

With the Yamaha SR125 you do get fuel, neutral and temperature warning lights, which some 125 learner motorcycles lack, but otherwise the Yamaha SR125 is a basic mode of transport, with few frills. Nice comfy seat though, plus grabrail and electric start, even going back to the 1991 models.

13 owners have reviewed their YAMAHA SR125 (1982-2003) and rated it in a number of areas. Read what they have to say and what they like and dislike about the bike below.

Review your YAMAHA SR125 (1982-2003)

Great first time bike!

26 August 2016 by abachmet

I've had my SR for two years now and I never fail to enjoy the ride! It might be slow, not reaching over 70 at all since I've had it, but for its age its no surprise! I got this as my first bike and I'll always have a soft spot for these models!... Read more Always getting compliments on it and really comfy ride, great for a first bike!

Great for long rides with the comfy seat, a little slow for busy rodes but around the country side its a perfect bike to ride on!
For a 125 its very slow, I think the highest I've got out of it being 63mph roughly. Not sure if this is because its 16 years old now or something else, but it does let the bike down a bit.
rust is a nightmare especially the exhaust! takes a lot of tlc but worth it in the end
Over the past 2 years I've had a few fixes done to it (nothing major) so haven't had to spend half as much as some of my friends with their bikes have! Just seems to power through!
I do find trying to get a tyre for them is a task (after hours of looking online I always end up just going to my mechanic) and I've had to take the middle stand off as it was hanging low and I was worried about it dragging on the road and causing an accident. The frame and exhaust is hard to keep rust free and a lot of hammerite paint is needed to keep it looking as good as it would of back in the day!

I payed around 450 for mine two years ago from a family relative and it is worth every penny

cheapest transport you'll find

20 August 2016 by AG

cheap and reliable, underpowered but gets to 55 fairly easily, and I've had 70 a few times. An enjoyable bike. Read more

soft and spongey is how I'd describe the ride, bounces along and the brakes are ok for the bike a bit wooden though.
under powered but just keeps going
need to keep on top of the rust on chrome wheels and exhuast
Do the work yourself and all you have to do is change oil and filter and watch the sump plug it rounds off. Brakes look easy to do.
don't really need anything except a neutral light

paid £500 without mot, maybe a bit over priced but I got it mot'd easy enough and it just needed a clean up and oil

1997 SR 125

14 August 2013 by Urkey89

I bought this bike in May 2013 with many problems. It was SORN, had a copper nut in place of the left, rear wheel spacer. Seized front brake and a caliper in rough condition and no chain. Now it is August 2013 and I have got my cbt, MOT,... Read more insurance and tax. I managed to completely overhaul the front brake. Now I know this doesn't sound much but I have literally just started my level 3 NVQ in motorcycle maintenance and repair. I did all this so I could get to and from college/work. I have been extreamly pleased with how after about a year of not being started after a bit of tlc and petrol it fired after a few turns. Really pleased with the ride comfort. The cost of a full tank from empty for me was £13 plus some change about 50p. I will post further about how good the consumption is. But so far so good. Hope this helps Lee

sr 125

24 March 2013 by ross1234

i can see alot of you saying you can only get your SR`s to around 65 at the most iv had mine to 73mph on a flat streight road with tail wind, and can even manage to keep up with my friends cbf off the line most of the time, the reliability of this... Read more bike is probably the best i know of, providing its kept in the right way, i know its not the quickest of bikes for top speed compared to the cbf yzf ect but you can always buy new parts for the bike including sprockets with 2 less teeth ect, i gave it a 4 overall because its not the best looking of bikes but thats because its an older model and not exactly sporty haha, but the best learner bike you can buy for your money and will last you a very long time....almost bulletproof !

my wee 125

30 April 2012 by david1991

this is my current bike till August when my restriction is up its fantastic value for money and can reach 65 at a push. very lightweight and easy to manoeuvre Read more

poop

27 January 2012 by davdamos

my first (and current) bike. cheap to buy and run, only one idiot light works (the neautral light), and it's slow. sometimes it revs freely and feels ok, but most of the time it feels restricted in every gear and usually tops out at 50mph. tried... Read more larger front cog, but still tops out at 50mph. i'm only 10stone too, so it's not good. can't wait to get rid for a faster, better handling bike

was my first road bike

01 July 2011 by bikerbit

what the hell can only do 55mph bull had it at 65 and I aint a small guy. 130 mile tank range that is the biggest bull of all honestly double that and add some more I have no idea where you's got these figures from seriously I admit the engine was... Read more gutless and took a lot of pre planning and work to get it to top speed and slightest hill and it drops and I think it was more 9-10 bhp to be honest but it was one of the most indestructible bikes I have ever owned mines was a 1984 model which I got for a song and a dance in good condition. The thing was a tank came off it hit things with it the lot while learning and it kept going :) an to be honest think it had a bigger tank than 10 litres think it was more like 12and 1 for reserve

(very) Cheap and Cheerful!

07 October 2010 by Anonymous

I've had my little SR-125 for 6 months now, and use it nearly every day. I chose this bike as I am a shorty, and find it really easy to handle. Yes, she's definitely NOT the fastest thing on two wheels, but great for city riding and I'm getting about... Read more 100mpg, so who can complain? She has occasionally made it to about 65mph, but it can't be described as comfortable! I will miss my wee bike when I can eventually afford to do my full test...

Built for comfort not for speed!

11 February 2010 by pilkol

Got mine when i was 17 after doing my cbt on one. Basic is all i can really say, ok reliable it may be but gutless with it the honda cityfly i did my licence training on felt like it had double the power. ride and handling, well the bike came with... Read more a square back tyre. Fair enought i payed £450 for mine few years back and expect to pay double now.

I love PRU

13 June 2009 by hains82

I've had my SR125 (PRU) for about three years now. She has never let me down and always starts, even in the coldest weather. I got her as with rising petrol prices, I couldn't afford to line Gordon Browns pocket anymore. As has already been... Read more mentioned, it has all the power of a LadyShave and with a top speed of 55mph, won't forgive you for trying to make it go any faster. Side wind can be a bit scary as the slightest gust will blow you all over the shop. I'm 16 stone and it still carries my bulk without any problems. It's an ideal starter bike as it's low maintainence and easy to repair and isn't too hard to handle. It's a good little all-rounder with a relatively comfortable ride. I hope to get a bigger bike soon, but won't get rid of my PRU as she has become my dependable friend.

Year introduced 1982
Front brake 245mm disc
Rear brake Drum
Front tyre size 3.00 x 17
Rear tyre size 3.50 x 16

1982: Yamaha SR125 launched in UK.
1986: Yamaha SR125 deleted from UK line-up.
1991: Yamaha SR125 returns.
1995: Drum front brake replaced by disc.
1999: Front disc gets new two-piston caliper.
2003: Yamaha SR125 discontinued.

None.