YAMAHA WR125X (2009-on) Review

Published: 22 October 2009

"Great looking, well-equipped, a great new engine, solidly built and great fun to ride. The only slight downside is its tall seat and high price"

Yamaha WR125X

• High seat height (920mm)
  • Suitable for A1 licence
  • New: £4,199
    Used: £2,700 to £4,400 See all YAMAHA WR125Xs for sale

Yamaha’s all-new WR125X has everything it needs to be the class leading learner supermoto. It’s great looking, well-equipped, has a great new engine, is solidly built and is great fun to ride. The Yamaha WR125X is a serious, substantial piece of kit – the only slight downside for novice riders is its tall seat and high price.

The Yamaha WR125X’s handling matches the engine performance: the suspension is firm yet plush and the rear has preload adjustment. It’s by no means difficult to ride, and anyone over 5ft 8in will have no problems, but new riders and those wanting to put a flat foot to the ground will find its seat high making heavy traffic precarious.  Once on the move it’s a doddle, of course. But the strong brakes are a tad sharp and could catch out an inexperienced rider in the wet.

The Yamaha WR125X’s all-new, single-cylinder, water-cooled motor is the most advanced in the class and is free-revving, zesty and, for a 125, fast – especially compared to rivals. 70mph is achievable and I’m sure it’ll indicate 80mph on a down hill run with a tail wind and a whippet-like Danny Pedrosa for a rider.

The Yamaha WR125X looks like a solid, chunky motorcycle – rare in this class of machine – and feels it, too, but in a good, substantial way.  The Yamaha oozes quality, is well built and feels like it would last.

The Yamaha WR125X may be one of the more expensive machine in the class, but overall it’s worth it –  you get what you pay for. It’s the best all round package in the class, is well built and equipped and should be durable, too. Find a Yamaha WR125X for sale.

Equipment-wise, the Yamaha WR125X is among the best in the class with stylish clocks, quality suspension and a great tool kit, to name but three – in fact, it has so many tools to unwrap it’s like Christmas Day, even including a preload spanner for the rear shock. Compare and buy patys for the WR125X in the MCN Shop.

3 owners have reviewed their YAMAHA WR125X (2009-on) and rated it in a number of areas. Read what they have to say and what they like and dislike about the bike below.

Review your YAMAHA WR125X (2009-on)

Yamaha WR125R

19 January 2016 by Ashley

Really nice bike feels really smooth and love being above all the traffic around me. the previous owner had lowered it slightly and I find that its a bit too low for me im about just over 6ft and long legs and I sit on it with my feet flat on the... Read more floor. The bike is great for getting around and I just love going out riding it. I have been riding it for over a year and am an all around year rider and I can say it handles well in all weather conditions. if I had to change one thing about this bike it would be the weight. its not ridiculously heavy it just seems a bit heavy for a 125. but for me its a 5 out of 5 in the 125 category. I have experienced problems with it which I don't think is due to unreliability I think it was just down to being unlucky.

the bike is a decent all around bike. obviously handling better in dry and more fun to ride because your not too worried about it slidding out. I could easily ride this bike hours with no breaks. at first I thought the brakes were a bit soft not being sharp... but new brake pads were put in (which I needed anyway) and they were excellent
As you know my engine did brake but I don't think the bike is unreliable. only thing I think I don't like about the bike is the sound from behind to me it sounds a bit tinny but you would probably find this with all 125 4 strokes
The bike is built absolutely great the looks of it dominate the roads. only problem I had was the oil stopped flowing some reason to the top of the engine and caused the piston to seize up. I don't think this bike is unreliable I think it was down to unluckiness. I now have another engine out in and still runs perfect.
fuel is amazing on it i can easily last betweeen 100-115 miles on £5-£6 of fuel depending on wind direction...
The standard tyre is a bit too bold for my liking I changed them to a more motocrossy tyre because I like to do a bit of green lanes and off-roading every now and then ;)

I payed £1750 for mine and id say I got it on the cheap side! the previous owner was selling it for a while (because he had other bigger bikes) so I think he didn't mind it going for a few hundred £ less... originally he was advertising for £1900 and I think he had brought the price down then aswell.

Lovely bike with the following Pros and Cons

08 October 2011 by phobos4

Have had my Yamaha WR125X since Nov 2010 and have clocked up over 3,000 miles so far. Its a great package overall - decent power for around town and A-roads, proper tires for grip and traction in all conditions, plus sharp, stylish looks. The large... Read more frame is quite unusual for a bike in this class with many people are quite surprised its only 125cc. The tall seat gives a rider plenty of leg room as well as a terrific view over traffic. The WR125X is also quite light so you can pedal it easily through traffic and blast off first in line at every red-light. The practical tool tool kit under the seat comes in very handy when you need to adjust or fasten those mirrors on the go. Overall, I'd say this is the best 125 Supermoto out there. The bad points: short riders will struggle with the (dare I say, KTM-style?) seat height of 920mm! The lack of a tachometer will bother those who want to know when they will red-line. Even though it'll do 68 mph or so, stay away from Motorways on this one - the combination of its high centre of gravity and meagre 137kg mean that you will get sucked into a lorry in windy conditions. The seat is also quite narrow, so rides longer than 50min can get quite uncomfortable.

The best 125

14 November 2009 by WRtom

This is my second bike and I love it. The handling is amazing and just falls into corners. The engine is good and will hit about 75mph at a push. The only downside is the seat height which for a learner bike is quite high. However it's great fun and... Read more leaves you smiling after every ride.

Year introduced 2009
Warranty term Two year unlimited mileage
Insurance group -
Max torque 8.9 ft-lb
1/4-mile acceleration -
Engine type 4v four-stroke single, 6 gears
Frame type Tubular steel double cradle
Fuel capacity 8.5 litres
Front suspension 41mm inverted forks, no adjust
Rear suspension Single shock, preload and rebound damping adjust
Front brake 298mm disc, four-piston caliper