YAMAHA XMAX 250 (2004-on) Review

Published: 15 January 2010

"All the practicalities of a conventional scooter with a bit more oomph"

Yamaha X-Max 250

"All the practicalities of a conventional scooter with a bit more oomph"

Yamaha’s YP 250R X-Max is a middleweight twist-and-go ‘maxi-scooter’. It has all the practicalities of a conventional scooter with a bit more oomph for longer journeys and decent-sized wheels and tyres for cornering confidence.

The X-Max 250 is simplicity itself to jump on and ride. It’s comfy, easy to get on and off and handles the twist and turns of the urban sprawl with ease. It’s practical and capable, but uninspiring.

Making a claimed 21bhp, the Yamaha is powered by a liquid-cooled, single-cylinder, fuel-injected four-stroke motor producing a claimed 21bhp and 16ftlb of torque. It has an electric start and a CVT gearbox.

Build quality is very good and we haven’t encountered any horror stories with reliability.

Costing £4387 new, the X-Max isn’t exactly the bargain of the century, but if the midrange maxi scooter is your thing, the Yamaha is a very good bike. Find a Yamaha X-Max 250 for sale

Insurance group: 7 of 17 – compare motorcycle insurance quotes now.

You get lots of underseat storage space, enough for two crash helmets, and a cubby hole in the leg-shield area, which can carry a light rain suit. Yamaha accessories include a backrest, top box, rain cover and taller screen. Compare and buy parts for the Yamaha X-Max 250 in the MCN Shop.

3 owners have reviewed their YAMAHA XMAX 250 (2004-on) and rated it in a number of areas. Read what they have to say and what they like and dislike about the bike below.

Review your YAMAHA XMAX 250 (2004-on)

Hassle free transport.

29 October 2015 by Nik

Having been a biker for years on a traditional bike, for some strange reason I'd though I'd have a go at a super scooter instead. I saw in my local dealer the Yamaha Xmax and thought it looked quite a nice bike. I wanted it mainly for commuting to... Read more work which is only a 6 mile trip so it would be ideal. I loved it from the moment I got on it, however after years of conventional bikes it took a while to get used to the clutch being a brake! I had a couple of whoops moments on the way home! The bike is incredibly comfortable and surprisingly nippy around town. The transmission pick up is almost instant and once out on dual carriage ways it keeps with the flow. There is tons of space in the underseat storage and I had a top box fitted for more storage should I need it. I've only had the bike a few day's so I can't give a full unbiased report on it as yet. If any one who was looking for a commuter bike was to ask if I'd recommend,then so far yes! go for it.

Ride quality is fantastic. Ok, so it's not an R1 or GSXR but it can be chucked around the bendy bits with a degree of trust and confidence you wouldn't expect from a scooter. The brakes are brilliant even though it doesn't have ABS you get quite a bit of feedback as to what's going on down there.
The only reason I've put a 4 instead of a 5 is the fact it's a 250 in a big ol' lump of a scooter. The engine in fact is a peach and with less weight on it she would go like a rocket I'm sure, but that's not the purpose of this machine is it? The pick up from cold can be a little notchy but as soon as the engine's warmed up a bit the it's smooooth all the way.
The bike I purchased was 5 years old and apart from a"dink" in the air filter cover the bike is perfect. The fasteners and fixings are still corrosion free, the plastics still look like they've just come out of the factory, The engine is a Yamaha so I can only assume it's going to be super reliable as have all the Yamaha's I've had over the years.
Cannot say just yet. But I filled the bike up when I got it and the fuel gauge still hasn't moved. It's either incredibly economical or the fuel gauge is broke! I suspect the former.
The bikes dash is brilliant, it's got everything you need to know on it. The tyres are the original Pirellis and do a great job of sticking to the tarmac. I love all the storage bins and cubby holes. The pillion seat looks amazingly comfortable. The bike came with a non standard screen. It's quite a tall Givi one and even though I'm 6'1" I struggle to see over the top when it's all fogged up due to the bad weather. However it does a brilliant job of keeping the said weather off me!

I bought the bike from Stephen Bilau's in Darlington. I cannot praise this dealer enough. The bike was advertised for £2595 and I paid the full price as the bike had extras like datatool alarm, after market screen, wet weather leg covers. He also fully serviced the bike for me and stamped the log book and put a years road fund licence and a years MOT. The bike has only 6150 miles on it so it's not even run in yet. Not a bad deal as far as I'm concerned.

Hilarious!

25 April 2010 by TBK1

Bought as a commuter (have an FZ1 and an R32 Golf and needed something less thirsty...). This thing is great fun and, door to desk, is faster than both of my other transport options over a 5 mile journey through traffic. Superb balance and... Read more handling, great finish, plenty of storage space and importantly for people who also ride 'real' bikes, this 2010 version actually looks cool. Still running-in but, for a 250, I was expecting a bit more power. I expect that once I can 'pin-it', I'll replace the standard can (Devil do a pretty good one) with something that'll at least make it sound less like a sewing machine and may add a tad more ooomph. Buy one - they're hilarious!

early days but I really like it.

24 January 2010 by elderlybiker

I bought a 1 year old 250 X max for a good price on Ebay. My plan is to use it for a 7 mile each way daily commute and then up to another 20 miles a day in an around Cambridge. I had a 60 mile trip to bring it home on a cold day with rain that... Read more wouldn't stop. My other bike is a BMW R1100R with big screen and heated grips and I wasn't looking forward to plodding up the A1(M) in freezing spray for hours (my last scootering experience was a Vespa SS180 I sold about 40 years ago). When I first got going it felt like I was sitting on a kitchen chair with handlebars after only riding conventional bikes for decades. It turned out there was nothing at all to worry about, the Xmax easily keeps up with motorway traffic, 70 is a practical cruising speed with a useful reserve for safe overtaking. I had initially got lost in London for about 45 minutes so I really appreciated the benefits of twist and go automatics and quickly forgot about my unfamiliar posture. Once I got onto main roads I seemed to get home very quickly. For for my day to day riding it's ideal, the underseat storage means I can transport my workgear (construction site PPE) then, when I get to site securely stow my riding gear. It's simple to ride, light enough to drag around the garage when I want to get the BM out etc. The Yamaha is very impressive, but the list price new looks a bit chunky. My reliability score shouldn't be taken too seriously, I haven't had the bike long enough to comment with any authority.

Year introduced 2004
Warranty term Two year unlimited mileage
1/4-mile acceleration -
Front brake 267mm disc
Front tyre size 120/70 15in
Rear tyre size 140/70 14in

Brought into the UK in 2005

2011: "Sport Edition" released (styling, screen, backrest and seat updated) [£4549]

X-Max 250 Special Edition