YAMAHA XMAX 250 (2004-on) Review

Published: 15 January 2010

"All the practicalities of a conventional scooter with a bit more oomph"

Yamaha X-Max 250

"All the practicalities of a conventional scooter with a bit more oomph"

Yamaha’s YP 250R X-Max is a middleweight twist-and-go ‘maxi-scooter’. It has all the practicalities of a conventional scooter with a bit more oomph for longer journeys and decent-sized wheels and tyres for cornering confidence.

The X-Max 250 is simplicity itself to jump on and ride. It’s comfy, easy to get on and off and handles the twist and turns of the urban sprawl with ease. It’s practical and capable, but uninspiring.

Making a claimed 21bhp, the Yamaha is powered by a liquid-cooled, single-cylinder, fuel-injected four-stroke motor producing a claimed 21bhp and 16ftlb of torque. It has an electric start and a CVT gearbox.

Build quality is very good and we haven’t encountered any horror stories with reliability.

Costing £4387 new, the X-Max isn’t exactly the bargain of the century, but if the midrange maxi scooter is your thing, the Yamaha is a very good bike. Find a Yamaha X-Max 250 for sale

Insurance group: 7 of 17 – compare motorcycle insurance quotes now.

You get lots of underseat storage space, enough for two crash helmets, and a cubby hole in the leg-shield area, which can carry a light rain suit. Yamaha accessories include a backrest, top box, rain cover and taller screen. Compare and buy parts for the Yamaha X-Max 250 in the MCN Shop.

2 owners have reviewed their YAMAHA XMAX 250 (2004-on) and rated it in a number of areas. Read what they have to say and what they like and dislike about the bike below.

Review your YAMAHA XMAX 250 (2004-on)

Hilarious!

25 April 2010 by TBK1

Bought as a commuter (have an FZ1 and an R32 Golf and needed something less thirsty...). This thing is great fun and, door to desk, is faster than both of my other transport options over a 5 mile journey through traffic. Superb balance and... Read more handling, great finish, plenty of storage space and importantly for people who also ride 'real' bikes, this 2010 version actually looks cool. Still running-in but, for a 250, I was expecting a bit more power. I expect that once I can 'pin-it', I'll replace the standard can (Devil do a pretty good one) with something that'll at least make it sound less like a sewing machine and may add a tad more ooomph. Buy one - they're hilarious!

early days but I really like it.

24 January 2010 by elderlybiker

I bought a 1 year old 250 X max for a good price on Ebay. My plan is to use it for a 7 mile each way daily commute and then up to another 20 miles a day in an around Cambridge. I had a 60 mile trip to bring it home on a cold day with rain that... Read more wouldn't stop. My other bike is a BMW R1100R with big screen and heated grips and I wasn't looking forward to plodding up the A1(M) in freezing spray for hours (my last scootering experience was a Vespa SS180 I sold about 40 years ago). When I first got going it felt like I was sitting on a kitchen chair with handlebars after only riding conventional bikes for decades. It turned out there was nothing at all to worry about, the Xmax easily keeps up with motorway traffic, 70 is a practical cruising speed with a useful reserve for safe overtaking. I had initially got lost in London for about 45 minutes so I really appreciated the benefits of twist and go automatics and quickly forgot about my unfamiliar posture. Once I got onto main roads I seemed to get home very quickly. For for my day to day riding it's ideal, the underseat storage means I can transport my workgear (construction site PPE) then, when I get to site securely stow my riding gear. It's simple to ride, light enough to drag around the garage when I want to get the BM out etc. The Yamaha is very impressive, but the list price new looks a bit chunky. My reliability score shouldn't be taken too seriously, I haven't had the bike long enough to comment with any authority.

Year introduced 2004
Warranty term Two year unlimited mileage
1/4-mile acceleration -
Front brake 267mm disc
Front tyre size 120/70 15in
Rear tyre size 140/70 14in

Brought into the UK in 2005

2011: "Sport Edition" released (styling, screen, backrest and seat updated) [£4549]

X-Max 250 Special Edition