Let's be honest, sorting out your motorcycle insurance is more often than not a bit of a hurried affair from the moment the renewal reminder lands in your inbox or on your doormat. You might completely forget about it until the day before your renewal is due.
Of course, you could just let it automatically renew with your current insurer, but they might not always give you the best price. Get your initial quotes online and then ring round the insurers to see if they can give you cheaper insurance.
But it pays to be a little more organised. Set a reminder up in your phone or online calendar a couple of weeks before it's due to give you all the time you need to get everything organised. Below is our list of everything you should have to hand before you even think about looking for a new quote.
- The date you passed your bike test
- Proof of No Claims Discount (NCD). Your current insurer should be able to help.
- Any convictions pending, or on your licence, what and when?
- Advanced riding courses passed
- The date you passed your car test
- Third party, fire and theft or fully comprehensive?
- How much did you pay last year?
- What's your renewal quote? (This could help you bring the price down)
- When do you want cover to start?
- Level of excess you are willing to accept
- Do you want NCD protection?
- Do you require legal cover?
- Do you need kit insurance?
- Are you planning to ride your bike overseas?
- Will you need a courtesy bike if yours breaks?
- Do you need breakdown cover?
- Pay monthly or annually?
- WIll anybody else be on the policy?
- Home address (obviously)
- Garage address, if different to above
- Annual mileage: Just pleasure, or to include commuting or business use?
- How long have you been a resident in the country.
- Your card details if you're going ahead with the payment
- Do you also hold a car licence?
- Do you own a car?
- Make, model and year of motorcycle
- Accurate estimate of the value
- Any accessories fitted and their value
- Modifications; aftermarket exhaust, upgraded brakes, engine work?
- What security you have to protect your bike. Alarm. chain, disc lock?
- Where will the bike be kept over night (garage, driveway, garden)?
Looking for the perfect two-wheeled companion? Visit MCN Bikes For Sale website or use MCN's Bikes For Sale App.