Before you click on that mouse or pick the phone up to start the hunt for motorcycle insurance, be prepared like a good Boy Scout, it will save you time and money.
Begin looking for insurance cover weeks, not hours before you need it, and start by looking at yourself and honestly analyse your riding profile and insurance needs. All insurance companies, brokers and comparison sites require similar information so save time and jot down the answers to the following...
- The date you passed your bike test
- Proof of No Claims Discount (NCD)
- Any convictions pending, or on your licence, what and when?
- Advanced riding courses passed
- Third party, fire and theft or fully comprehensive?
- How much did you pay last year?
- When do you want cover to start?
- Level of excess you are willing to accept
- Do you want NCD protection?
- Legal cover required?
- Kit insurance? - get the value of your kit nailed down
- Are you planning to go on a touring holiday overseas (within the EU)?
- Do you rely on your bike as your primary transport i.e do you need a courtesy bike?
- Home address (obviously) and if different, garaging address for your bike
- Annual mileage: Just pleasure, or to include commuting or business use?
- Make, model and year of motorcycle, its mileage and your accurate estimate of the value of your bike
- Any accessories fitted and their value
- Modifications; a race can, flash paint job, tuned engine?
- What security you have to protect your bke like an alarm and immobiliser or lock and chain?