Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

tazbiker

Aug 07

tazbiker says:

start riding

hey everyone,

well im looking into doing my cbt, and am really worried about it, my biggest passion at the min is bikes, i cant wait to get mine and am dying to get on a bike and off i go to the great unknown, but the fact stands that ive never ridden a bike, and am really worried, any one else get like this before there cbt?

tanya x

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 8 years ago (23 August 2007 01:12)

Post a message in New rider

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
fastasfuck123

Apr 07

tazbiker

you'll be ok, listen to what the instructor has to say and you'll be fine.

Take your time once you get on the road, ride out on your own for a while so you dont have any peer pressure to ride faster than you feel safe doing.

One thing I would recomend is practicing emergency stops a few times, dont just grab a handfull of front brake, squeaze the lever progressively until the brake's on full. Good practice to know how much distance it requires to stop.

You may here many tales of cars pulling out in front of bikes, and yes it happens. I have a good tip for trying to prevent this hapening so often.

Try to position yourself so you can see the drivers eyes when he/she looks your way (allways cover the front brake and be prepared to stop) if you cant see the drivers eyes then move away or toward the curb to give him/her a clear view of yourself.(many blind spots in a car)

Welcome to the most expensive hobby you'll probably ever have.

And enjoy it.

Reply to this Topic
zedgirl07

Aug 07

zedgirl07 says:

nervous biker

Just go at your own pace and enjoy yourself. Im just starting out myself, having never ridden a bike or driven a car before. I was nervous as hell but just went for it. Also, it doesnt matter if you dont manage to do CBT in a day, there is a hell of a lot to take in and i got information overload by mid afternoon on the first day. Now though, im really enjoying learning. Ive got friends who've said they did DAS in a week etc. But sod em, im going to take my time and get things done as and when i feel comfortable with it. I think it will make me a better biker in the long run.:wink:

Reply to this Topic
markspur

Aug 07

markspur says:

Hi Taz!

Hey! Just as FasF123 sez, take your time, you got years of fun 'n' rain to hit. Get that test booked, test drive all you can til you find the bike you like, progress at your own rate, and deal with shops who show respect, answer all your questions, without an attitude. Check out the best rates if financed, know your budget and call everyone for prices and insurance quotes. Keep some  rain proofs in your box, and buy trendy but quality Helmets and clothes to help the joy and safety factor. Long rides help get the feel of a bike more than city riding. Try to find a bike club you like the people in. And try a long weekend to Wales or somewhere you like, staying overnight in a pre-booked room at the Premier Inn, always clean and a money back guarantee if not satisfied with the room! Happy Ridin' Girl!

Reply to this Topic
MLC01

Aug 07

MLC01 says:

Hi Taz

Don't worry about the CBT. I did mine last year, and just thought of it as a great day out. Worst possibility was I would hate it / be rubbish at it ! As it happened I loved every minute (which was my other halve's biggest fear :biggrin:). If you go to a decent bike school to do your CBT, you won't even notice that you're being assessed.

Above all - enjoy it...............

Reply to this Topic
speedfight100

May 07

bike or scooter ?

Did mine on a scooter very easy main thing i noticed was braking while still holding the throttle did it 2 or 3 times then stoped,next did bike traning etc (geared bike)found it took me a good 4 hours (with breaks) to confidently go up and down the gear box and have decent clutch control :)

Reply to this Topic
iainmilne

Oct 04

iainmilne says:

CBT is about safety

I did a direct access about 7 years ago. The trainers stressed that the CBT is not about 'testing' anything more than your own basic safety with the bike. They will do everything they can to see you through it and its not that hard at all. No one's expecting you to show more than basic control of the vehicle and road awareness. If you've got a drivers license you're half way there. Just relax if you can.

Reply to this Topic
sallybrunskill

Sep 07

New bike

I did my CBT on a scooter as well and it was a lot easier than on a geraed bike.  I then did my DAS course about three years ago but didn't pass the big bike test:upset:. I've just bought my first geared 125 bike to replace my scooter and confidently thought that I would just be able to jump on and be on my way, but as it has been three years since I have been on a geared bike and it seems I have lost my Mojo. Bearing in mind that it only took me 15 mins to get to work on the scooter, I spent 40 mins just trying to get to the end of my road this morning.  I kept on stalling and loosing which gear I was in in and at one point I couldn't even get the bike back into neutral!  I'm going to book a one day refresher course to help me get back into the swing of things and allow me to get used to my new bike.:smile

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices