Skip to content

Discuss This What do we have to do to be seen? Politics & the law

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > Politics & the law > What do we have to do to be seen?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Martyn  says:

What do we have to do to be seen?

As speaking as one of the statistics, what do we have to do to be seen? Day light in October, dipped headlight doing 20-25 mph and a car pulls straight out of an office car park into my path. The police viewed it as just an ''unfortunate accident.'' No action was taken against the driver. Bike is a write off. I'm still struggling on £71...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 7 years ago (11 February 2008 15:14)

Post a message in Politics & the law

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
BrandsR6

Oct 05

BrandsR6 says:

It's a perception of danger...

I think that there is a sub-conscious perception of danger when vehicles are approaching and someone is waiting to pull out of a junction. If a lorry, car or motorcycle were all approaching the same junction at the same speed, drivers would seriously think twice about pulling out in front of the lorry due to it's size and the possible consequences if it hit them. At the other end of the scale is the motorcycle which is much smaller than the car in which they are sitting, therefore, people are more likely to pull out.

Reply to this Topic
bud

Aug 02

bud says:

SMIDSY

Totally agree with the comment about it not being a SMIDSY thing most of the time. You see it all the time (particularly at roundabouts), they pull out THEN look to see with an "oh fuck" expression on their fat arse faces that you're 6 feet from their door then quickly snap their head round to the front pretending they didn't just pull out on you. Meanwhile you've locked the front cos it's wet (despite practicing emergency braking like the magazines say) and turn a paler shade of white (unlike your undies) and carry on your merry way. They're usually either monkeys in suits and saloons or dozy women who treat the gas pedal like it was glass (I might hurt the engine if I rev it boo hoo(!?!?!?)). Then they'll complain when the majority of us filter past them at traffic lights etc, the simple answer is most of feel safer doing that than relying one of them not hit us from behind/side or front, flowing with the trafiic!!!! Damnit.

Reply to this Topic
bledu

Aug 07

bledu says:

Once beaten..

This also happened to me. Some stupid twat pulled up in front of me turn right. I put my emergcny brake procedure into action but unfortunately my back wheel locked and I fell with a thud. The stupid twat promised to pay for the cost of repair but then gave me a non existant number. Next tim u have a slight accident make sure to call the number there and then. and get any other info from the stupid SMIDSY twat in case u have to go to the police/insurance

Reply to this Topic
Testament

Mar 07

Testament says:

gay.

This sort of stuff happens everyday. i thought punishment would be severe for motorists if they knock down a motorcyclist. Even the police are total pricks sometimes.

Reply to this Topic
rickpeake

Feb 06

rickpeake says:

Life is cheap

Had a head-on with a SMIDSY last year which put me and the wife in hospital for a week,me with busted fingers, wrist, shoulder and ribs, missus with broken bones in both feet broken leg and 2 fractures to her pelvis which means she can't ride anymore and will need a hip replacement in the next couple of years.It was only the fact that we were in hospital for more than 72 hours made the bill prosecute. If it's less than that they offer them a driver improvement course.The bitch pleaded guilty but said in court "it was a pure accident cuz I just didn't them" !!!!!!She got six points and £200 fine! Don't you just love this country?

Reply to this Topic
StuartX11

Apr 07

StuartX11 says:

Sue the Idiot.

My wife is a solicitor and we have our own small practice trying to take on bikers cases. She says that "The police viewed it as just an ''unfortunate accident.'' Is complete nonsense. Get suing Martyn.

Reply to this Topic
parapanfan

Apr 06

parapanfan says:

Not being picky Frieda

I'm still relatively new to biking myself, but sometimes being too timid/cautious can invite problems whereas a certain amount of assertiveness can see you through - although not always:ph43r:

As for the HiViz argument - it often just makes you a better target! 

Although if you are wearing HiViz and still get hit it can help get a better insurance payout, or so I am led to believe.

Reply to this Topic
wwdph02

Aug 02

wwdph02 says:

SMIDSY

I was advised IF you have an accident, do not call the police- call for an ambulance, they then call for the police for any accident reports - Not sure if true but might help if minor injury and you're not sure!

Reply to this Topic
puck67

Nov 07

puck67 says:

I agree

No such thing as I did not see you matey, undue care and attention defo, I have this happen all the time, they look several times see you, and think they can turn and be away from you, before you reach them, the only thing that prevents these people from causing more injury and death is ourselves, riders, who although vilified in the press, are often much better in road craft than said drivers, sorry to hear about your road incident martyn, We riders need eyes in the backs of our heads !!

Reply to this Topic
parapanfan

Apr 06

parapanfan says:

If an ambulance is called to an RTC

A police car is automatically sent.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle