Skip to content

Discuss This The bliss of summer commuting Other

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > Other > The bliss of summer commuting

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

David Eatough  says:

The bliss of summer commuting

It's 9am and my non-fuel injection Honda CBF600 grumbles into life. We head out of the garage with a press of the remote for the roller-shutters and then turn down the street into a blaze of sunshine. I pause at the market and buy some warm bread, wild cherries and the tastiest of strawberries for lunch at the office. These...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 7 years ago (14 July 2008 16:04)

Post a message in Other

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
kawasakibiker

May 07

Awesome story, here's the UK's version...

:upset: It's 8am and pi**ing down with rain (again). British summertime and the weathers still more unpredictable than a rhino on acid. I roll the bike to the end of the street because if not the neighbours have a hissy fit because the (standard) cans too loud. I'm in ASBO territory. Kids have nicked the hanging baskets again. Coppers don't care.

:shock:I stop at the newsagents where there’s a 400 yard diesel spill outside and nearly fall off. I go to buy MCN but on seeing Stoners winning again (boo and all that) I put it back. The place is full of kids buying fags so I depart to find it’s raining even heavier.

:unsure:I cross the lights and to my horror see 3 bikes exactly the same as mine being ridden by twa*ts at obscene speeds down the road. I nod to the custom biker who ignores me because he thinks I just want to race everything. Bugger. Geeks in cars are everywhere but the road works have brought the road to a standstill for 9 miles rendering the average speed cameras useless.

:mad:Onto the scenic roads of Derbyshire where every bend is a gamble because ‘the fuzz’ are using horse boxes, workers vans and badgers as speed traps (but crime is up!!!!). Crossing the border into Nottinghamshire I get stopped (again) and given safety advice and my third yellow vest of the week. God damn it.

:doubt:Speed cameras all over Nottingham (speed kills ya know?) make riding and not hitting anyone good fun as I try to keep 30mph in driving rain and a misty visor with a BMW right up my ar*e. A Policeman makes me jump as he signals me to pull over to tell me about the size of my number plate and how wiping my visor can be considered ‘dangerous driving’. He gives me a yellow vest and I’m on my way.

:huh:I get to the office and am appalled by the lack of bike parking in the city and the fact that there’s still a chance some dickhead somewhere will still insist on charging bikes for congestion even though………….well, I give up on that one.

:wacko:Finally I get a coffee and sit at my desk soaking because the 100% water proof jacket apparently isn’t at all. I flick MCN on the internet and find out ShaKey Burns is winning the BSB by 6 million points and nobody finds this just a little odd.

:biggrin:By the way I live in the UK and it’s shite.

(We know it's true but we wouldn't stop biking for anyone. That's what makes us all better than them.)

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
1batfink

May 08

1batfink says:

v.funny

kawasakibiker, that is the funniest thing i have read for ages! thanks for making me laugh so much. ps.it's a shame the story is true... imagine how great biking in Britain could be

Reply to this Topic
cellardwellers

Aug 02

PMSL

Kawkabiker....truly awesome!!

Reply to this Topic
davali

Oct 06

davali says:

so true

Lucky man in Romania! I awoke yesterday to find sun in the sky and no rain forecast, so left the company car at home and wheeled the bike out of the garage and headed off onto the 70 mile trip to the office. Keeping to a steady 85 along the A14, Slowing to 70 as I approach that wonderful interchange at Catthorpe M6/M1/A14, I moved over to let a gixer1000 filter at a speed much higher, clenching my butt as he narrowly missed being squashed by two container lorries. No problem its his choice and his risk, I held back just in case, then followed him through at a safer distance. Onto the M6 and avoiding the daily Ar*es using their phones whilst drinking coffee and driving with their knees. I arrived at work 15 minutes earlier than I normally would and am awide awake ready for another day. Only trouble is..by 3.30pm its still sunny outside (for a change) so find a reason to leave early and take the long way home finding as many bends as possible. Arrive home, less stressed and ready for a lazy evening..ther's a lot to be said for summer commuting :-)

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices