Skip to content

Ask an Expert Beware of scammers Buying & selling bikes

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > Beware of scammers

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Sean-Paul Bradley  says:

Beware of scammers

I received this scam email in offer for my bike advertised on MCN... This is Jason, I saw your bike advert placed on net and i will like to make the purchase from you, please if it is still available kindly tell me because i am interested in the purchase for my Son, it will be a gift for is...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (07 October 2008 16:09)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
iancol

Sep 07

iancol says:

Scam

I hope you've copied it to your local Trading Standards Dept.  They should be interested in such stuff.

Reply to this Topic
Doodah

Mar 09

Doodah says:

Scammers

"Kelvin" has been a very busy boy.... had exactly the same e-mail... I requested a meeting so that he could become acquainted with my size 10 boot planted firmly in his ass

Surprise.... surprise i havn't heard a thing since

Reply to this Topic
spikey47

Jul 09

spikey47 says:

Thank you matee Sean-Paul Bradley

and for the rest of you guys who have riten about this scam thank you , i only just had the email on 04/07/2009 and it was only my gutt instincts that brought me to finding out about this guy in the afternoon , and i was brought to this page straite away :) glad that i have :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
CarsOrBikes

Jun 08

CarsOrBikes says:

same

'E' KNEECAP THEM..........LOL - NICE - BUT HOW

The first line .... would like to make the purchase or similar? Crap english, biggest clue! Never do anything like arrange shipping for buyers - and the term 'shipping' is foreign. The realistic changes of selling anything to someone abroad are so bloody slim you can tell them where to get off and not jeopardise any sale.

Anyone that talks about payment without seeing what you're selling? c'mon, it stinks of farce.

You guys are lucky so far, and yes it should be stopped. But it's like the phishing scams nobody can stop. Its down to us as always, as no bank accepts any liability and then some tosser soon enough if not already will sell insurance for it, that never pays out and we get shafted by that too.  

If you haven't seen the buyer, by the time you're negotiating, then it's usually a wind up or fraud.

Only take cash. If you don't trust it, go to the bank with the buyer and get him/her to hand it over the counter for checking. Cheques and drafts can be reported stolen and stopped, credit cards bounced including through paypal!! months later!! Bank transfer is safer from funds already in place. Difficult to trust anyone isn't it. Cash is the only money that can be checked instantly. And when you pay it in the frigging bank asks where you got it, and if you dare take it out they want to know what for!

We're fooked:unsure:

Reply to this Topic
PlasticPal

Aug 09

PlasticPal says:

Jason is still at it

Well the good news is that "Jason" is still using the same email and address - at least it's easy to spot. Guess they don't have google where he comes from. 

..am interested in the purchase for my Son, it will be a gift for is graduation..

Hmmm - I think not

Reply to this Topic
deemax

Aug 07

deemax says:

fri 13th jason

got email from jason this morning ,nice bloke good to his son buying him all these bikes:doubt:

Reply to this Topic
brynhils

Jun 06

brynhils says:

Received 11 Sept 09

I got this message today, around an hour after my advert went live:

[QUOTE]

This is James, I saw you advert placed on net and I will like to make the purchase from you, please if it is still available kindly tell me because I am interested in the purchase for my Son, it will be a gift for is graduation so I hope it is presentable. I will like you to get back to me with the current condition, you last selling price, your phone number where I can contact you and lastly I will like you to know that payment will be through a cheque. Best Regards

[ENDQUOTE]

Sender was jcollyrep@yahoo.co.uk

These scams are as common as muck, a bit like the 'confirm your account' phishing scams. Still, when you live in a 3rd world country have nothing else to do ... So I thought I'd enter into the spirit of things and send a suitable reply - just so they'd have to go running off to the Witch-Doctor (edited for brevity :wink: ) :

"Scammer - God has seen your bad ways and will punish you...You are cursed a thousand times.
The Devil waits to take his payment, for the Lord has foresaken you and Hell is now your only destiny."

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Ginnelli

Mar 07

Ginnelli says:

Scammers

I got emailed by this guy back in April using the name Kelvin when i put my bike up for sale in MCN. And when i checked the forum there must have been at least another 30 people with the same email. Must be on a long vacation, but its about time MCN sorted it out..

Reply to this Topic
fast fox

Jan 04

fast fox says:

For Feck sake MCN...

...why is this not all over the front page? Why have you not emailed people selling thier bikes though MCN with a warning?

Why hasn`t a sting been set up?

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
GreenTea

Aug 09

GreenTea says:

If you have the time to con the conmen

Look at this site for ideas.

http://www.quatloos.com/brad-c/directory01.htm

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy