Skip to content

Ask an Expert RF900R - Bad first bike? Riding Skills

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > RF900R - Bad first bike?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Calaerial

Jun 09

Calaerial says:

RF900R - Bad first bike?

Hi all, first post! :)

I did my CBT a few months ago and planned originally to do my direct access, and i havent made any progress towards actually finding the time to book the lessons and such, and i suspect that this boils down to the fact that i dont have a bike ready for when im done.

Ive just been offered a bike from a mate, he's upgraded and his 1994 RF900R is sitting gathering dust. He's told me its faults, needs a new rear tyre and rear brake pads, but other than that its fine, and since he's a mate ive known quite a few years i trust him, the bike will be in good order.

He's offered it to me for 600 as it stands, which seems cheap to me, anyway im all ready to go for it, but it worries me that a 900 is too big for a first big bike.

Is this going to be a problem? And if so, is it worth considering having it limited?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (08 June 2009 20:24)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Karlasaki

Jul 08

Karlasaki says:

First Big Bike

900cc is pretty big for a first bike, but the throttle does go both ways, and you'll grow into it. Getting it restricted is a very good idea, as 33bhp will be good for setting off and getting experience, and when you're bored and have mastered it, derestrict it. :wink: The RF is a good bike, and £600 (if tidy) ain't bad mate. :sunglasses:

Reply to this Topic
Calaerial

Jun 09

Calaerial says:

Cost of limiting?

Cool, is restriction expensive to have done?

I suppose it will probably help that im a big guy, i looked so ridiculously out of place on that CG125 i did my CBT on.

Im 6'2 and a shade over 20st

Reply to this Topic
Karlasaki

Jul 08

Karlasaki says:

Dunno...

Can't really help you on that score, but I'm sure it's easily done. Enquire where you did your CBT - they have to restrict bikes for Direct Access and the like, so they will be the place to go. :smile 

And btw, an RF600 would be a slightly better, but I know that there's not one on offer for £600! :tongue:

Reply to this Topic
Calaerial

Jun 09

Calaerial says:

Cheers :)

Yeah if i could get my hands on a 600 that would have been my ideal size ;)

Not to worry though, if i can get the 900 restricted then really it should be as easy to ride as the 600, albeit a bit different due to the extra weight.

Cheers for the replies :)

Reply to this Topic
Karlasaki

Jul 08

Karlasaki says:

On second thoughts

Actually, don't rush in and buy that RF900! :unsure: Buy something smaller first, like a ER5 or something. It's better for new riders... the RF is a fast bike. Sorry about changing my tune a little, but it's a little too fast for a newbie. 125 to 900 is too bigger jump!

Reply to this Topic
Bannerman

Mar 09

Bannerman says:

Restriction

Having just passed my test, i can tell you that my restricted Fazer is absolutely perfect for me. I would suggest that a 900 unrestricted is definitely way too powerful.

My restricted fazer still gets off the line stupidly quickly. Its capacity for acceleration is way more than I can yet handle. And its top speed is about 95mph so no worries that end either. It'll cost you about £180. you need to get it done by a Suzuki dealer. Don't get a dodgy piece of paper off the internet as your insurance is void without the proper stamp of a dealer who does the work. Good luck with it

Reply to this Topic
wilsongrahams

Jun 09

Restriction?

I wouldn't reccomend restricting a large capacity bike by much as the bike will feel too heavy for the power. My riding instructor advised me NOT to restrict my first bike off the record, though I only had a 500 then. Restricting a 900 to a 250 equivalent would kill it.

I would always recommend getting a progressively larger bike as you get more experience but as you need to sort some problems and haven't actually done your test yet you have time to get experience in. It could be kept for two years as you do it up though.

Reply to this Topic
used2bfast

Aug 07

used2bfast says:

Did you buy it

the only restrictor you need is your right hand!

They are a good old bus, but are prone to speed weaves on long sweepers. Make sure its all set up right

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices