Skip to content

Discuss This Parking battle D-Day General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Parking battle D-Day

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Parking battle D-Day

Motorcyclists have one chance left to fight to save free bike parking, according to campaigners. A firm has won a “UK-wide” framework contract to charge riders for using motorcycle parking bays which are traditionally free. The only hope of saving free bike parking nationally is to force a London scheme to be scrapped, campaigners say.    Failure will cost motorcyclists £93...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (24 June 2009 16:39)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
nwlondoner

Jan 08

nwlondoner says:

OBJECT ONLINE

Can't make it in person on 1st July? Don't worry, you can object online using the link below.

ONLINE OBJECTION FORM... www.notobikeparkingfees.com/object-online

Lets stop the Westminster Council motorcycle bay parking tax before other councils start charging us to park our bikes too. Motorbike parking must remain free nationwide.

We need thousends of bikes outside Westminster City Hall on 1st JULY so spread the word - www.1st-july.com

Reply to this Topic
seanogorman1

Aug 06

seanogorman1 says:

Objection

I have objected in the name of all that is objectionable!

Reply to this Topic
RedLion

Dec 08

RedLion says:

Reason For Objection

Follow NWLonder's link and you'll eventually get to an online form to submit your objection.

I've edited the following from BMF's webpage - cut and past this into the form.  If anyone has better wording - let's have it.

---

My reason for objecting is that the parking charges introduced for PTWs (Powered Two Wheelers) by Westminster City Council run contrary to the Government’s aim to ‘mainstream’ motorcycling.

Motorcycles and scooters provide the ideal solution for commuters seeking a genuine door-to-door solution and especially so for low paid key workers. Where public transport does not serve their needs and cycling is not a practical option, PTWs provide the only realistic alternative for those seeking personal mobility.

PTWs are part of the solution, not the problem, in easing traffic congestion and should be encouraged, not discouraged.

As well as being economical, PTWs with their efficient use of space do not cause congestion, are able to filter through congestion where it does take place and then occupy less space for parking. They are environmentally friendly, comply with current European emission limits and, coupled with their ability to avoid dense traffic, pollute far less than slow moving four-wheeled traffic.

---

Reply to this Topic
hairyMuppet

Dec 03

hairyMuppet says:

Do not just copy&paste

One of the most common things to do is look for overly similar responses and discard them (well, it's what happens if you try to email your MP at any rate). So if you just copy&paste then you may have lost your voice.

Re-write the text in your own words, but keep to the same major points. It doesn't have to be long, just sufficiently your own work to get through the filters. e.g.

"I object to the introduction of parking charges for motorcycles and scooters by Westminster Could as it runs contrary to the government's stated policy of making motorcycling more mainstream.
Motorcycles and scooters are part of the solution to transport issues, along with public transport and cycling. They are especially suited to journeys where cycling is impractical and public transport links are insufficient. They fulfil this need without adding to congestion or increasing wear and tear of the road network as a whole.
As powered two wheeled vehicles are able to make progress even in stationary traffic, they arewill not be sat still with their engines idling and thus do not pollute as much as a car would in those circumstances. With approximately 4 PTWVs being able to fit into a single car bay, council policy should be to encourage PTWV use and reap the potential benefits."

Hmm...another thought...how long before they try to start charging out cycling cousins?  "Westminer Cycle Bay - all cyclits must clearly display they WestCycle Regstration and purchase a parkling permit from 0898..."

This reminds me....I noticed a rather ominous looking sign about changes to parking where I live. I think I'll have to make a trip to the council offices to have a look. You can bet your last penny that the plans are not on-line or easy to find/understand.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices