You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Tyres > Mixed make

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

46vale46

Jun 09

46vale46 says:

Mixed make

I have an 08 Blade which had a new rear tyre fitted when I bought it, the front is the original Bridgestone but the rear is an Avon azaro ST46. I have no issue with the way it performs and I only intend to use it on the road, and hopefully I will get a few more miles from it than the original (1600miles!)

My only concern is the legality of it, although i'm sure its ok I thought I would ask. 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (30 June 2009 16:00)

Post a message in Tyres

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

tyres

:unsure:If their both radial and zzr rated,I can`t see a problem.:biggrin: 

Reply to this Topic
46vale46

Jun 09

46vale46 says:

mixed make tyres

Jaffa90 the exact marking is Avon Azaro AV46ST 190/50/ZR17 and it has A-VBD))) on there as well haven't a clue what that means though!

I had a trawl around the net to find what bikes these were recommended for and they appear quite common on hedgeabuser's and blackbirds, so I guess the speed and weight rating shouldn't be a problem. Doesn't say radial on them though?

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

tyres

Hello again vale,I was thinking of kawasaki`s when i stated ( zzr ),:lol: I mean zr and the r = radial. I can`t see a problem with your tyres,:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
46vale46

Jun 09

46vale46 says:

Thanks Jaffa

:smile:smile

Reply to this Topic
m1ks

Apr 09

m1ks says:

As Jaffa says, all fine.
Ask any tyre manufcaturer or seller and they'll say 'aaah no, you must run same front and back'
essentially it's generally a good idea to not mix brands at least and ideal to run same brand front and rear.
the mixed thing is related to upredictable handling but i've often used mixed front and rear because of costs at the time but will try to use same make front and rear when I can.
Unless you ride like a GP rider then it won't make much difference to you.

Reply to this Topic
46vale46

Jun 09

46vale46 says:

thanks

That's as i thought, but its good to get confirmation from someone else.

Reply to this Topic
bonjolino

Mar 06

bonjolino says:

tyres

hi vale 46.

There are no legality issues regarding mixing tyres as long as they meet the bike manufacturer's spec: size & speed rating, exactly as it is with cars.

What is important is to keep to similar typre tyres front & back. I have mixed sport/sport-touring for fast road use without any issues

If you deviate from this (like putting a lower profile) then you could potentially come unstuck with any insurance claim; best to advise them before any mods.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices