Skip to content

Discuss This British MotoGP: Ducati tyre gamble ends in humiliation MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > British MotoGP: Ducati tyre gamble ends in humiliation

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

British MotoGP: Ducati tyre gamble ends in humiliation

Ducati suffered a disastrous British MotoGP at Donington Park after Casey Stoner and Nicky Hayden shocked the paddock by opting to run wet tyres for the 30-lap race. The gamble spectacular backfired as Stoner and Hayden were lapped just 13 laps into the race, with the rest of the field all selecting Bridgestone slick rubber. The race hadn’t even run for ten...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (27 July 2009 15:15)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
leth

Jun 09

leth says:

With no option of intermediates, slick tyres were the only real choice for the conditions as they were quicker than the wets up until about lap 22. The gamble may have payed off but in Stoners case it would have made more sense to run what the likes of Rossi, Lorenzo ETC were on.

The riders were told by Ducatis managment that slick were the prefered option but it seems the riders after doing two grid formation laps were not confident enough in the bike to run on slicks in thouse conditions.

The one thing that has become apparent is the need for an intermediate tyre and the teams should demand Dorna do something about it

Reply to this Topic
boybilly1967

Dec 08

boybilly1967 says:

Just comes down to poor judgement from Hayden & Stoner and Ducati's inability to get them both to see sense.

Reply to this Topic
46vale46

Jun 09

46vale46 says:

Huge risk

A brave choice, a stupid mistake?? Is it the riders final decision?? Who knows, its obvious now it was the wrong choice! That's racing i suppose, but red faces all round for ducati must be a bitter pill. The whole pit lane must have been smerking for ages.

I would have prefered  they run slicks and had a battle with the others, Casey could do without any more bad luck if he is to challenge for the championship.

I want Rossi to win of course, but I love the racing to, and you can't race by yourself. So come on boys sort it out and let battle commence!

Reply to this Topic
stoner27

Jul 08

stoner27 says:

gamble or safe choice

id say stoner went for the gamble because he wouldnt have finished the race on slicks he looked sick after qualifying .if they carnt get this bug problem sorted in the next 4 weeks then he,s def out of the championship.theres no choice but to be 100% fit to challenge rossi in next part of the season and with a points lead that rossi has got its basically having to try and win every race.but why not bring back inters for safety reasons if nothing else.

Reply to this Topic
AdestheMex

Aug 08

AdestheMex says:

Sad little boys

What sad little boys some of you are. Where above is Stoner, or Hayden for that matter, complaining? It is clearly Ducati stating what they did and what the result was. How pathetic it is that some of you feel the need to whinge (or moan whichever fits best) about everything Casey Stoner  is quoted as saying. 

On every other website that this story is posted on (the source being motogp.com and a ducati press release) the story is headlined with "Ducati explian tyre choice" or "Ducati defend tyre choice". And yet MCN reporters feel the need to sensationalise a simple press release by adding inflamatory language to feed the mindless bottom feeding scum that some of you are. 

I'm sure if Rossi made the same choice and got it wrong the comments, and headline for that matter, would be different. 

At least Casey Stoner has the balls to take a risk that could potentially end his championship hopes, whether it paid off or not.

Reply to this Topic
Bob Buttamasangy

Jul 08

Sad Journalism - again!

If George loses the championship by 1 or 2 points, I wonder if you asked him about Caseys tyre choice, what he'd say?

Stoner's obviously not confident with his endurance at the moment and explained the choice, Hayden supported the decision saying HE wasn't happy with the bike in the conditions and it's a cheap throw away to slag them off without considering the explanation. They put their hand up for the heat and were pretty close to pulling a major coup. I think it was a desperate decision, but the riders and the bikes are far from sorted at the mo and are the only ones who know the issues with the Duc.

Not only do we put up with the hatred from the english posters on this site, but now the pommy journos are in on the act too! I have no doubt he'll be back winning races, but I doubt he'll ever get the credit from either. That's fine but I'm happy just to know that they may NEVER get to see a british champion in their lifetime. It's a magnificent feeling to have seen 3 Australian champions winning races (and championships) in the flesh and I'm not bagging JT in any way. Rossi's self importance is about to bite him in the ar5e as well, so keep lapping it up while it lasts but don't wonder why it is that you don't get the chance to feel some real homegrown pride every now and then.

Go the Aussies!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices