Skip to content

Ask an Expert Insurance when riding dealers demonstrator Insurance

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Insurance > Insurance when riding dealers demonstrator

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

GreenTea

Aug 09

GreenTea says:

Insurance when riding dealers demonstrator

Hi,

Considering visiting local Triumph dealer to test ride Rocket 3 and Thunderbird.

What's situation regarding insurance on a demo bike, does dealers insurance cover you, and you sign to agree to pay any excess?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (01 August 2009 17:07)

Post a message in Insurance

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

ins

If you sign anything read the small print,:shock: it could be £250,£500,£1000,£2000, If you sign nothing your ok,Take your riding licence because they should ask and maybe a utility bill.

Reply to this Topic
GreenTea

Aug 09

GreenTea says:

Insurance when riding dealers demonstrator

Thanks for that.

A recent visit to Harley dealer and the salesman told me that I could have a test ride, after filling in a test ride form.

From what you say, some dealers just check your id, and hand you the keys without any paperwork?

Still leaning towards Triumph, rather than a Harley.

Reply to this Topic
shuggie1

Apr 07

shuggie1 says:

All depends

If it's a dealer test ride, or a company sponsored one, sometimes these are covered by a nominal charge (£10) to cover insurance, cleaning and fuel etc, refundable if you buy - not unreasonable?

Most dealers have a trade policy, but it's their call if they let you ride on it..

Rememebr to take license and other proof of address if dealer doesn't know you - always handy to have good local dealer you've used / bought from before, much more likely to let you have a go on demonstrators...

As someone's said above, check the from you sign as normally a hefty excess. Ask the dealer if in doubt...

Reply to this Topic
rossva1

Mar 09

rossva1 says:

took a new 'blade out for a test ride from official honda dealer a couple of months ago.

Took a grand deposit... but thankfully I got it all refunded when I took the bike back an hour later! Makes you ride a little {ahem} more sensibly! :winkie:

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

Find out before...

Many dealers cover you third party fire and theft but value the demonstrator at the new price so if you ding it you own it...
Also many dealers take a copy of your license before you take it out. It worries me that there are all these copies of licenses in dealerships just right for cloning...

Reply to this Topic
urbmark

Nov 07

urbmark says:

Look at

The excess.

I took out a GSX1400 recently ( on behalf of a mate who forgot is driving license ! )
The excess was £850 !!!!!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices