You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Legal > speed camera van help

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

morganater

May 09

morganater says:

speed camera van help

hi, when i was traveling the other day i noticed a speed camera van on the opposite side of the road maybe little late. it was 5.30 in the morning pitch black could anyone tell me the laws an how close you have to get to them before they've got you, is it the marks on the road that you have to pass,

thanks

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (12 September 2009 11:58)

Post a message in Legal

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
rossva1

Mar 09

rossva1 says:

camera van

are you sure it was a camera van? I've not heard of them being out that early before - but I may be wrong. I can't imagine why they would - can't be expecting to catch many people at that time of the morning?

Unfortunately they can get you from quite a way away, and there are no calibration marks to take into account - i.e. they calculate your speed from getting a fix on you I believe.

Remember they have to get the NIP to you in 14 days, so you don't have to sweat it out for long. As above though, I would be surprised if it actually was a camera van?

Reply to this Topic
jonnydiesel

Jul 09

jonnydiesel says:

cam van

ask to see a calibration cert if you are caught, may be they dont have one with luck.

Reply to this Topic
matt84

Sep 09

matt84 says:

average speed cameras

does anyone know if it is true that the new average speed cameras on the motorways cant get bikes

Reply to this Topic
rossva1

Mar 09

rossva1 says:

matt84...

The SPECS cameras are forward facing (I believe?)

So, no, they wouldn't be able to get bikes....

Reply to this Topic
zephyrdave

Jul 08

zephyrdave says:

Van

I would be very surprised if it was a camera van that time of the morning. Sure it wasn't the google earth street veiw camera? I think the camera vans are good for something like half a mile but it depends on the conditions.

Forward facing fixed cameras can't directly get bikes, however there have been cases where a forward facing cameras has been used with other evidence to prosecute riders. The average speed one's on the motorway (there's loads on the M1) are unlikely to be able to provide evidence for a succesful speeding ticket but it's not impossible...

Reply to this Topic
Beastie Boy

Apr 03

Beastie Boy says:

Camera Van

Good chance it was an ANPR camera checking uninsured/MOT'd/taxed cars on their way to work. Have seen these operating at funny hours where I live in Northampton.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices