Skip to content

Ask an Expert What kit to replace following accident? Legal

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Legal > What kit to replace following accident?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

rossva1

Mar 09

rossva1 says:

What kit to replace following accident?

All

We all know that following an accident you must always thrown yer helmet away - it's done it's job and it's for one time use only, However, what other kit should be considered the same?

I was knocked off my bike and bashed up quite a bit a few months ago. My jacket has to be replaced as well as helmet as the medics had to cut it off me - but my boots were scuffed up for sure... but I think they should survive for another day? Should boots be considered a 1 time use only thing like a helmet? I ask as the 3rd party insurers are only offering £40 for them as they claim they are reusable.

Thanks for the help!

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (12 September 2009 13:36)

Post a message in Legal

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
ACIC

Apr 06

ACIC says:

Kit replacement following an accident

Dear Rossva1

You are absolutely correct - a helmet should always be thrown away if it has suffered an impact. A crack in a helmet can make it far less protective in the event of an accident. I am yet to encounter an insurer which has disputed this. In terms of other items of kit unless the structure has been impacted and rendered it not fit for purpose then I see no reason to replace your boots (other than for reasons of aesthetics) and repair can be the appropriate remedy. The insurer is correct that they are not a one-use item (unless they are of special nature and the impact has damaged their safety provision). Clearly an insurer cannot argue that a jacket that had to be cut off you should be repaired rather than replaced.

Regards, Andrew Campbell, Solicitor

www.bikelawyer.co.uk andrew@bikelawyer.co.uk

Finalist, Personal Injury Lawyer of the Year 2008

Reply to this Topic
turbooutlawuk

Feb 04

insurance

if you have house hold policy have you got all risks if so use that when i had my accident it was classed 50/50 his insurance would have paid £200 towards a new helmet p my all risks part of my household policy just took £50 off the price so got a new ££400 helmet for £50  the all risks also covers you should you drop your helmet

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

CE armour

Any armour plates which have taken a hit must be replaced. If you've been down the road on your jacket / trousers the odds are the waterproofing will have gone. If the boots have taken an impact from the bike landing on them, bearing in mind the materials used, they may not be fit for another impact - carbon fibre is brittle and may have suffered cracks which aren't visible. Boots which protect against side on crush by having a hard, rubber sole wider than the foot may not need replacing.

My insurance claim post accident covered:
1) new helmet - old one undamaged but a neck injury caused by the accident meant it was too heavy
2) jacket - minimal external abrasions but weatherproofing damaged
3) trousers - ripped apart... still waterproof but protective layer damaged.
4) boots - usable but significant cosmetic damage and waterproofing damaged
5) gloves - leather pads on palms abraded.

If an area with extra abrasion protection such as gloves has what appears to be "cosmetic" damage to it, then it means the friction of the accident has removed some of the protection afforded by the extra padding. If your jacket has been down the road - do you really expect they test the stitching to see if it'll last twice?

Cosmetic damage shows that the area in question has been subject to shock or abrasion forces and therefore it's capacity to protect again can be questioned. Replace it. If the insurance company won't budge because it's "cosmetic" then argue the above. If they won't replace it, do it yourself as it's not worth the risk.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices