Skip to content

Ask an Expert Old man - CBT? New rider

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > New rider > Old man - CBT?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Mikeinho

Jan 09

Mikeinho says:

Old man - CBT?

Hi folks,

Not posted anything in a while, but I'm a bit stumped on a question from my bro.

He's had his full UK driving licence since 1987. My understanding that he doesn't need to sit/pass a CBT if he only intends to ride a moped.

Q1. By moped, do we mean 50cc non-geared?

Q2. If he wants to ride a geared bike, will he have to first pass his CBT then follow the normal pass procedure of A1, A, or DAS?

If anyone has a link to anything that answers all of the above (and related), please post on this site.

Cheers!

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (26 November 2009 01:07)

Post a message in New rider

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jdavies123

Mar 04

jdavies123 says:

well

If he has a full car licence he can ride a 125, anything more and he will have to go through the normal bike teast route.

Hope that helps :smile

Reply to this Topic
gjkt

Jul 09

gjkt says:

A Moped

is a vehicle which has an engine of not more that 50cc, and cannot excede 50kph (32mph). It can have gears or be an automatic. If it is de-restricted in any way it becomes a small motorcycle.

If your Bro passed his test for a car in 1987 he is automatically granted a full moped license and does not have to do a CBT to validate that entitlement BUT it is highly recommended. He can also carry a pillion passenger if he wishes and does not need L-plates. 

He will also have provisional entitlement to ride a motorcycle up to 125 cc but he must display L-plates.

NewRiders

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Mikeinho

Jan 09

Mikeinho says:

Merci !!!

Thanks for the info!!

I'll have the old bugger on a bike in no time... well, as soon as the weather improves.

:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
bikeinstructorcbtdas

Dec 09

wrong information given to you

hi, he has grandad rights and can ride a moped of 49cc or less. It can be geared but if he has not ridden before i sugest you get him a cbt anyway for safety. Try a reputable school though. cowboys are every where just after your cash.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices