You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > AJS Regal Raptor won't start

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

markreglinski

Feb 10

AJS Regal Raptor won't start

Hi all

One of my mates has just bought himself  a second hand AJS Regal Raptor DD125 which now won't start. The starter motor sounds strong upon ignition but the engine itself doesn't kick in.

We tried bump starting it, and giving it a bit of gas (the tank is full and not set on reserve) which got it running for less than a minute before the revs dropped down and it stopped again. It got pretty wet a couple of days ago and he had to remove and dry the spark plugs before it would start again.

Anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

Regards

M

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (27 April 2010 11:06)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

ajs

The electrics and h.t. leads will have to be dry for a good spark,when the bike wont start or starts with a push and dies out whip a plug out to see if it`s wet with petrol or dry.(USE GLOVES).Also what`s the voltage reading of the battery? 

Reply to this Topic
KWAKZ750S

Aug 08

KWAKZ750S says:

carb

You didn't mention if youi'd revved it when you got it going. It may just be some dirt or other crap blocking the idling jet.  I also had a similar problem with my old er-5, turned out I'd overfilled the oil, and it had got into the airbox.

Reply to this Topic
markreglinski

Feb 10

revved while running

He he sorry, my bad english showing through there. We tried to rev it once we had it going, but pulling the throttle had no effect whatsoever. In other words feeding it more gas didn't increase the rev count, or indeed prevent the rev count from falling (does that make sense??).

Jaffa - I'll check the voltage reading across the battery tonight, we didn't think that was likely to be the problem as we got such a strong sound from the starter motor.

Cheers guys

M

Reply to this Topic
markreglinski

Feb 10

Leaking tank

Found the problem, the tank is pissing petrol which is running down the cables and into the plugs. Bloody good thing the bike didn't spark when we tried to start it.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices